Beginners and Beyond

Ubiquitous Wednesday Penguins (Read 20 times)

on my way to badass

Hi Penguins.  I am still around.  I've been reading threads but not posting much as I have seem to have lost my mojo.  Part of the problem is, it is hunting season and I've been spending free time sitting in a tree.  I need to get a trophy buck and some inspiration

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

tracilynn

Hi Penguins.  I am still around.  I've been reading threads but not posting much as I have seem to have lost my mojo.  Part of the problem is, it is hunting season and I've been spending free time sitting in a tree.  I need to get a trophy buck and some inspiration

Quit playing mockingjay and get out there and run!!

I'm kidding!  Enjoy your downtime and the mojo will find you again soon.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

We were in shorts yesterday and playing in the creek.

Today its heavy coats and boots. 

The heart rate thing sounds interesting. I had a strap that went around the rib cage but it kept falling down as I ran. Do they make a better monitor like for the wrist or something?

A few miles on tap for me tonight. On to the grocery store now.  Yay. Not.

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

PAD - hopefully when the vortex moves east, it will leave your area alone for a while.  Good job getting out in it.

Mitch - nice temps for a run. Enjoy your seven.

sapf - I hope you get to take advantage of this last bit of warmth before the cold hits.

Lauren  - running in a cloud can be nice if it's warm out, not so nice when it's cold.  Take it easy while you finish healing.

Damaris - sorry your asthma has been so bad lately.  Good luck tonight.  re Maffetone - I couldn't run that slow.  I think my HR gets higher than that when I walk.  And with the hills around here, I definitely would be way above my base.

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal tonight.  Good luck with the massage therapist.  Maybe once you're a client, you'll be able to work out some appointments after work.

Z - I hope tonight's run feels easier.  Maybe do a short day or a different route?

Stonefence - good luck getting your deer. Do you do archery or black powder?  Our rifle season doesn't start until after Thanksgiving.

Traci - have fun with your miles.  I have to go to the grocery too.  Our cupboards are pretty bare.

AFM:  Rest day.  Last night left me stiff and achy and not at all in the mood for a run today.  We'll take Ben for a few miles in the woods after lunch.

Singer who runs a smidge

IDK, but I would be more interested in one that went around the wrist.  I have one (somewhere) but the strap always seems to be in the wrong place, so my heart rate can read as anything from 30 to 230.  I'm guessing reality is somewhere in between! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We were in shorts yesterday and playing in the creek.

Today its heavy coats and boots. 

The heart rate thing sounds interesting. I had a strap that went around the rib cage but it kept falling down as I ran. Do they make a better monitor like for the wrist or something?

A few miles on tap for me tonight. On to the grocery store now.  Yay. Not.

I have the TomTom Cardio Multisport that brought the new HRM technology to the wrist.  I cannot say I miss my Garmin.  The technology in those particular ones is very good.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

PAD - hopefully when the vortex moves east, it will leave your area alone for a while.  Good job getting out in it.

Mitch - nice temps for a run. Enjoy your seven.

sapf - I hope you get to take advantage of this last bit of warmth before the cold hits.

Lauren  - running in a cloud can be nice if it's warm out, not so nice when it's cold.  Take it easy while you finish healing.

Damaris - sorry your asthma has been so bad lately.  Good luck tonight.  re Maffetone - I couldn't run that slow.  I think my HR gets higher than that when I walk.  And with the hills around here, I definitely would be way above my base.

HopesMom - have fun at rehearsal tonight.  Good luck with the massage therapist.  Maybe once you're a client, you'll be able to work out some appointments after work.

Z - I hope tonight's run feels easier.  Maybe do a short day or a different route?

Stonefence - good luck getting your deer. Do you do archery or black powder?  Our rifle season doesn't start until after Thanksgiving.

Traci - have fun with your miles.  I have to go to the grocery too.  Our cupboards are pretty bare.

AFM:  Rest day.  Last night left me stiff and achy and not at all in the mood for a run today.  We'll take Ben for a few miles in the woods after lunch.

According to Maffetone, that happens when your aerobic condition is bad (when you cannot run at your MAF.  I usually start at X pace and within 5 weeks I am running 30-60seconds faster per mile at the same HR.

He also has some additions/subtractions to the formula if you are older (but I don't think you are) and for other circumstances.  The gist of it, most people will always claim it's too slow for them but it is not.  If they do not, the formula would not work.  Your example might be one of the few exceptions.

Damaris

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

I ran an easy 6.4 this morning.

StoneFence, enjoy the season...you'll have a running season again soon, I'm sure.

Damaris, I have and have read Maffetone's Big Book.  I've never seriously thought about implementing HRT, though, because there's no pace at which I can run and keep my heart rate at a low training zone. (180-47 = 133).  To stay at 133 I'd have to do about a 1:1 run: walk ratio. My heart rate gets close to 160 even at a "jog".

ETA: Oh, I see you just replied to Ginny about the same thing...!

Jack, I don't think I can do the 5k you mentioned.  I'm traveling 3 out of the next 4 weekends (Kauai, Vail, and Vegas, here I come!!)  I don't typically get a lot of running in when I travel, so I really *need* to stick with my scheduled long run for that weekend instead of running a 5k.

on my way to badass

Ginny- It's bow season right now.  Rifle season starts Saturday.

Thanks Brilliant!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Had the day off yesterday and did a nice Veteran's Day 5K at 3 PM.   Report and photos to be posted tonite sometime.

PAD, we are the same way down here, not quite as cold a temp as you, but quite chilly, and the 20 mph wind does not help much either.  Should be fun running after work today.   At least we have lots of sunshine here.

Good luck with the miles, Mitch.  Your weather sounds like ours!

Same here, sapf.  I can deal with a bit of cold - and ours does not last long usually, anyway - but no snow!  Altho I probably will see snow when I go to Washington State for Thanksgiving.  BRRRR!

Dewpoint of 50 actually sounds pretty nice, Lauren!  Come visit Texas or go visit Damaris in Miami....you will LOVE your 50 percent dew-point after that!

Sorry the asthma is acting up again for you, Damaris.

Happy chorus-ing, HsM!

Sorry for the difficult miles, Z, hope your run today goes mucho better for you.

Sounds like that 'arctic blast' is affecting everybody's weather, Traci!  Except Damaris, possibly.

Well, just kick back, Ginny, and enjoy the outing in the woods with Ben.   Get some peppermint lotion, too, and massage that into your legs.  That stuff is very soothing and invigorating at the same time,  for sore legs.

Way to go on your miles today, Brilliant.  Wow, lots of traveling!  Safe travel for you!

Welcome back, obiebyke!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

obiebyke

Catching up with y'all. I've been out of running for 2.5 weeks with a cold and then inertia, but I'm around. AND I just signed up for the Winter Running Game again. You know, I've been thinking I could use some HR training, but I sold my 305 and got a 10 a bit ago. Maybe Santa will help me out.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, you could always jump out of the tree and CHASE the deer on foot to get a few miles running in....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.7 F^3 miles for us.  No warm up, just started at 10:00 and stayed there.  That's about as fast as we (make that I) can go. HRM froze right from the start.  My hands got so numb, DW had to carry my water bottle so I could clench my fist in my glove.  We had wrongly figured 30F wasn't too bad, so it may be a long winter.  Looking forward to 2015 mileage game debut.        

Robert31320

Team TJ

Hey y'all.  I got in 2 miles this morning before work.  Work is still going strong today...ready to go home now.

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

25 you say? Nice 4, Pad

My plan calls for 7 tonight. It was 41 when I got up, and it was 70 yesterday.

Robert, I got the link for the spring race.

Ginny, I'll do the half for sure, maybe the full. It will depend how the Little Rock full goes.

Temps will be in the 30's for me and Bella this evening. Woohoo!!