Beginners and Beyond

Holy mother of spam, Batman! (Read 866 times)

paulski66

miscreant

Oh the trouble with tribbles,

I bet you would know a lot about that...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

xor

Funny because I recently read a thread over there ( looking at 20xx threads) and Knabe told the poster hopefully it would be fixed sometime in January because everyone was on vacation until then. If I remember correctly his message was before Christmas. :-(

That was a different thing.  He was talking about the subscribe-to-a-thread feature, which they deployed defaulted to "on"... with the unfortunate side effect of spamming people's inboxes.  Pluck's crackerjack development team (the ones responsible for the feature) were all on holiday until sometime indefinitely.

With regards to forum spam and my  question/comment directly to him about admin folks watching the site over the holidays, he specifically said people would be working and the spam would be under control.

Anyway, there's a new shitty exploit happening over in RWOL NRR right now.  People have realized that when a user is banned, there's still an entry in the thread stating that the user has been banned... but the user can still post.  So someone is littering threads with ghost posts and being a total pain in the ass.  I suspect this is also a Pluck thing which can't be fixed until Pluck bothers to respond.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

The other sad news is that my login at RWOL doesn't seem to work any more. I can't log in.

I could go through the "forgot my password" procedure, but I think I'll just let it ride. There's people there I miss, but I don't feel like dealing with the spam issue any more.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Anyway, there's a new shitty exploit happening over in RWOL NRR right now.  People have realized that when a user is banned, there's still an entry in the thread stating that the user has been banned... but the user can still post.  So someone is littering threads with ghost posts and being a total pain in the ass.  I suspect this is also a Pluck thing which can't be fixed until Pluck bothers to respond.

That's Jamin.

Running is dumb.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

That's Jamin.

I sort of admire his unwillingness to give up...

In transit, arriving on time. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am more angry at the fact that every time you post there and quote somebody, the post makes it and disappears afterwards.  It is now occurring with normal posts too.  The place fucking sucks.

Damaris

The place fucking sucks.

I am blaming taper madness, but I really like when you drop the F-bomb. Wink

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Baboon

delicate flower

Worst I.T. department ever.

<3

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Worst I.T. department ever.

I used to think that way about my employer, but they've improved and RWOL's IT really does suck.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I say it every day.  Unless I am tapering all year long, that's not the root of the cause Big grin

I am blaming taper madness, but I really like when you drop the F-bomb. Wink

Damaris

xor

I am more angry at the fact that every time you post there and quote somebody, the post makes it and disappears afterwards.  It is now occurring with normal posts too.  The place fucking sucks.

Every time they have a spam attack, they crank the spam catching logic down... and this is one of the side effects.

In a couple days... if someone asks him... KK will post something like "gee sorry about that.  The spam filter was working too hard.  Be prepared for exciting changes" or something.

Anyway, they are trying what they can to delete spam in an automated fashion because they refuse to allow more people to help.  And they are using a hammer where a hammer might not be the right tool.  Etc etc etc

MrNamtor

In this case i think a hammer might actually be the right tool. Or maybe a blowtorch.

paulski66

miscreant

Actually, they're just unmitigated morons.

There are ways of handling spam. Ways that have been suggested to them; very simple things that would place minor restrictions on the  user experience (but, obviously, there would still be a user experience, which, let's face it, right now there isn't).

But Knabe and company are too incompetent to implement any of the solutions, and too powerless to step up and move their forums off of their shit software platform. I mean, Knabe may be a nice guy and all, but the guy has overseen the dismantling of a once-vibrant online community in the span of a couple of months. He would have been fired in my company six weeks ago...if not well before that.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, I agree.  But my patience is running out.  If the 2013 game would have moved here, I wouldn't be there at all.

Every time they have a spam attack, they crank the spam catching logic down... and this is one of the side effects.

In a couple days... if someone asks him... KK will post something like "gee sorry about that.  The spam filter was working too hard.  Be prepared for exciting changes" or something.

Anyway, they are trying what they can to delete spam in an automated fashion because they refuse to allow more people to help.  And they are using a hammer where a hammer might not be the right tool.  Etc etc etc

Damaris

xor

Actually, they're just unmitigated morons.

There are ways of handling spam. Ways that have been suggested to them; very simple things that would place minor restrictions on the  user experience (but, obviously, there would still be a user experience, which, let's face it, right now there isn't).

But Knabe and company are too incompetent to implement any of the solutions, and too powerless to step up and move their forums off of their shit software platform. I mean, Knabe may be a nice guy and all, but the guy has overseen the dismantling of a once-vibrant online community in the span of a couple of months. He would have been fired in my company six weeks ago...if not well before that.

I agree with all that.

And so the community was dismantled and shuffled around except for a few of us who cross post (and many of us, me included, seem to be stopping even that) and a couple of folks doing it out of "loyalty" with high hopes that things will get better.

I'm kind of shocked that the miles game didn't move... especially since there's some automation here that would make it way easier.  But I don't play, so my opinion isn't that relevant.  It's just... weird...