Beginners and Beyond

Are you addicted to exercise? (Read 86 times)

LRB

From upwave:

You've probably heard of "runner's high" and "yoga bliss" -- feelings of euphoria that can come after periods of exercise. And maybe you've heard people talk about how they "have" to work out -- as though if they didn't exercise, they'd suffer severe physical or psychological repercussions.

But is exercise a potent enough "drug" that it can literally make a person an addict? Do some people really need to work out -- and will they suffer withdrawal symptoms if they don't?

The verdict: Exercise can be addictive for some people (but they're the exception)

Ask sports psychologists if exercise addiction is legitimate, and many will confirm that it is.  However, research suggests that so-called exercise addiction affects only a small subset of people -- those who push too hard and exercise when they're injured or exhausted, or to the point that it adversely affects their work and relationships.

So unless you're about to lose your job because of your gym habit (or are running marathons each morning despite having shin splints), you're probably not truly "addicted" to exercise.

People who exercise with fervor -- but responsibly -- aren't addicted; they're what sports scientists refer to as "committed exercisers." According to Andy Martin, a personal trainer at the Aria Athletic Club and Spa in Vail, Colorado, many people feel guilty after missing workouts, or notice negative changes in their body (such as tighter muscles and joints) when they don't exercise. These people make exercise a priority, but don't suffer from an exercise addiction.

There are a number of reasons people get hooked on exercise in this healthy way. "Runner's high is an actual 'high' in the literal sense of the word," explains Martin.  "During and upon completion of an intense workout -- whether it be an endurance race or a high-intensity weightlifting session -- endorphins flood the brain and can induce an emotional response that can range from satisfaction to euphoria, depending on the intensity of the activity."

For some, group exercise in particular can provide social support, which is a big need for most people.  Of course, becoming "hooked" on exercise requires an understanding of the value that physical activity inherently holds, says Martin.  Some people want to go to the gym because they don't want to suffer from heart disease or stroke. Others show up regularly because they want to maintain their appearance (or have their pants fit after they splurge on dessert). Still others want to be sure they can keep up with their kids.

Whatever your reason for working out, as long as you aren't skipping important meetings to get in a run or doing one-armed push-ups because your other arm is in a sling from overuse, you're more likely to be addicted to your morning coffee than to your treadmill.

(link)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

From upwave:

You've probably heard of "runner's high" and "yoga bliss" -- feelings of euphoria that can come after periods of exercise. And maybe you've heard people talk about how they "have" to work out -- as though if they didn't exercise, they'd suffer severe physical or psychological repercussions.

But is exercise a potent enough "drug" that it can literally make a person an addict? Do some people really need to work out -- and will they suffer withdrawal symptoms if they don't?

The verdict: Exercise can be addictive for some people (but they're the exception)

Ask sports psychologists if exercise addiction is legitimate, and many will confirm that it is.  However, research suggests that so-called exercise addiction affects only a small subset of people -- those who push too hard and exercise when they're injured or exhausted, or to the point that it adversely affects their work and relationships.

So unless you're about to lose your job because of your gym habit (or are running marathons each morning despite having shin splints), you're probably not truly "addicted" to exercise.

People who exercise with fervor -- but responsibly -- aren't addicted; they're what sports scientists refer to as "committed exercisers." According to Andy Martin, a personal trainer at the Aria Athletic Club and Spa in Vail, Colorado, many people feel guilty after missing workouts, or notice negative changes in their body (such as tighter muscles and joints) when they don't exercise. These people make exercise a priority, but don't suffer from an exercise addiction.

There are a number of reasons people get hooked on exercise in this healthy way. "Runner's high is an actual 'high' in the literal sense of the word," explains Martin.  "During and upon completion of an intense workout -- whether it be an endurance race or a high-intensity weightlifting session -- endorphins flood the brain and can induce an emotional response that can range from satisfaction to euphoria, depending on the intensity of the activity."

For some, group exercise in particular can provide social support, which is a big need for most people.  Of course, becoming "hooked" on exercise requires an understanding of the value that physical activity inherently holds, says Martin.  Some people want to go to the gym because they don't want to suffer from heart disease or stroke. Others show up regularly because they want to maintain their appearance (or have their pants fit after they splurge on dessert). Still others want to be sure they can keep up with their kids.

Whatever your reason for working out, as long as you aren't skipping important meetings to get in a run or doing one-armed push-ups because your other arm is in a sling from overuse, you're more likely to be addicted to your morning coffee than to your treadmill.

(link)

Unfortunately, I know people like that.

Damaris

"Runner's high is an actual 'high' in the literal sense of the word," explains Martin.  "During and upon completion of an intense workout -- whether it be an endurance race or a high-intensity weightlifting session -- endorphins flood the brain and can induce an emotional response that can range from satisfaction to euphoria, depending on the intensity of the activity."

How's come I never get this? 

Dave

MI_Tim

Nope.  I just ate about 15 pounds of Easter candy.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

31 -- almost 32 -- years of running and I still say "runner's high" is a myth.

It's one of those things people "get" through the power of suggestion.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

No, I'm just allergic to being a fat slob.

You people have issues 

GinnyinPA

Most of my life I've had problems with depression.  When I exercise, and especially if I exercise hard or out of doors, my depression lifts and I am happy.  When I am injured and can't exercise, I go back to feeling suicidal.  There is a big difference in my moods on exercise days and non-exercise days.  I do some exercise every single day -- we have a dog who gets walked twice a day -- but I am much more relaxed and happy on my running and hiking days than on the days that I take it easy.  I get an endorphin rush during or after a good workout.  It may be all in my head, but if it keeps me from the dark depths, I don't care.

That said, I'm not an addict to the point of hurting myself or hurting my relationships.  DH understands that I NEED exercise, and I do my best to make sure it doesn't interfere with his life too much. I don't like pain, so if I hurt, I stop running, at least until the pain gets to a more tolerable level.  But I know I am willing to put up with more than I should at times, because I hate not being able to do the things I love.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Figment!

Illusion!

Untruth!

Complete Bullshit!

The only 'high' I get is when I stomp my competitor at the finish line.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Most of my life I've had problems with depression.  When I exercise, and especially if I exercise hard or out of doors, my depression lifts and I am happy.  When I am injured and can't exercise, I go back to feeling suicidal.  There is a big difference in my moods on exercise days and non-exercise days.  I do some exercise every single day -- we have a dog who gets walked twice a day -- but I am much more relaxed and happy on my running and hiking days than on the days that I take it easy.  I get an endorphin rush during or after a good workout.  It may be all in my head, but if it keeps me from the dark depths, I don't care.

That said, I'm not an addict to the point of hurting myself or hurting my relationships.  DH understands that I NEED exercise, and I do my best to make sure it doesn't interfere with his life too much. I don't like pain, so if I hurt, I stop running, at least until the pain gets to a more tolerable level.  But I know I am willing to put up with more than I should at times, because I hate not being able to do the things I love.

I think we all feel better after we exercise, but that's a far cry from being "high."

I suspect anyone who says they get "high" from running has never actually been high.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

I suspect anyone who says they get "high" from running has never actually been high.

LOL. Truth.

Dave

onemile

I feel better when I exercise.  Happier.  And I can be compulsive about my training.  But addicted? No.

delicate flower

I'm not addicted.  I can stop any time!

<3

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Spoken like a true dead head.

You people have issues 

PADRunner

The only thing I've felt when I've pushed it to the limit is throwing up.

Love the Half

I agree.  Been running six years and I can't say I have ever experienced it.  The one time I came close to anything like that was an evening run last spring.  It was cool and I was running on super fresh legs and started dropping 7:25 miles rather effortlessly.  The experience only lasted a couple of miles though and then the accumulated fatigue of running at that pace caught up to me and I was back to a more ordinary pace of around 7:45.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).