Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies with a side of snow, please (Read 47 times)

LRB

Here's a question for people who like to race 5k's. I will be doing my usual Tuesday intervals tomorrow, 5 days before a race. I have been doing them at ~5k pace, increasing repeat distance weekly. Last week I did 4x1200's, so this week I would ordinarily move it up to 3x1600's. Is that too tough a workout this close to a race?

I might end up blowing off the race anyway, they are forecasting temps in the single digits + some wind, which is just stupid. (Also chance of snow on Thursday.) I don't know how you dress for that and try to run fast at the same time.

I run no faster than tempo pace the Tuesday before a race regardless of it's distance. Experience has taught me that that works best for me.

As far as running fast in the cold, I have had to increase my warm up to as long as 4 miles depending on that days race pace before I felt comfortable.

If for some reason you cannot run a good warm up and the temps are in the teens or below, forget it. lol

Hip Redux

It's bizarre how people lose their damn minds over an otherwise normal occurrence.

This just in: IT SNOWS IN JANUARY PEOPLE!

It's likely not the snow, but the massive power outages predicted.

(ok, they do stupid shit in regular snow storms too but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It's bizarre how people lose their damn minds over an otherwise normal occurrence.

This just in: IT SNOWS IN JANUARY PEOPLE!

Well, not here.

Damaris

LRB

Your 2015 in 2015 team must be loving you so far!

lol

Luckily (okay that sounds weird) there are a few of us dealing with a few issues so it's not just me.

That said I feel no additional pressure as my health is of the utmost importance. The game and the miles I am obligated to run is secondary to that.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Now a turned over truck by my house. Monday!  Da fuck?

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Here's a question for people who like to race 5k's. I will be doing my usual Tuesday intervals tomorrow, 5 days before a race. I have been doing them at ~5k pace, increasing repeat distance weekly. Last week I did 4x1200's, so this week I would ordinarily move it up to 3x1600's. Is that too tough a workout this close to a race?

I might end up blowing off the race anyway, they are forecasting temps in the single digits + some wind, which is just stupid. (Also chance of snow on Thursday.) I don't know how you dress for that and try to run fast at the same time.

Having raced a few 5Ks, I'd suggest dropping it to 4 x 800m at 3K to 5K pace with 400m recovery if you plan on pushing for a good time or possible PB. Doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind, so go ahead and train through it with your normal workout progression.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

And up here everyone else is getting ready to go home to weather the storm. I'm getting ready to head to work and will be coming home right about when the storm starts to get worse.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And up here everyone else is getting ready to go home to weather the storm. I'm getting ready to head to work and will be coming home right about when the storm starts to get worse.

Drive safely.

I mentioned that because there were three car fatalities today and 5 accidents. Make that 6. People today must be going like that smiley Oski posted.

Damaris

DavePNW

Having raced a few 5Ks, I'd suggest dropping it to 4 x 800m at 3K to 5K pace with 400m recovery if you plan on pushing for a good time or possible PB. Doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind, so go ahead and train through it with your normal workout progression.

Thanks for the input. That was one of my thoughts anyway - cutting it back a bit. I am bitching about the conditions, but if I show up it will be with PR in mind.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sympathy stupidity for the northeast?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sympathy stupidity for the northeast?

Maybe?

Damaris

Little Blue

I'm thinking you're like that lady on Murder, She Wrote.  Everywhere she went, something bad happened.

DavePNW

I run no faster than tempo pace the Tuesday before a race regardless of it's distance.

Do you mean the pace that I think is tempo, or the pace that you think is my tempo?

Luckily (okay that sounds weird) there are a few of us dealing with a few issues so it's not just me.

That said I feel no additional pressure as my health is of the utmost importance. The game and the miles I am obligated to run is secondary to that.

You know I was joking but I totally agree with this. Run what you are going to run, the team will get out of you whatever they get. Everyone will go through some high & some low periods.

I say this with one of my teammates reading, but so far she should have no complaints.

Dave

DavePNW

Thanks for the input. That was one of my thoughts anyway - cutting it back a bit. I am bitching about the conditions, but if I show up it will be with onemile's PR in mind.

Fixed my own post.

Dave

LRB

Do you mean the pace that I think is tempo, or the pace that you think is my tempo?

You know I was joking but I totally agree with this. Run what you are going to run, the team will get out of you whatever they get. Everyone will go through some high & some low periods.

I say this with one of my teammates reading, but so far she should have no complaints.

I know you were kidding but some people do put pressure on themselves where the game is concerned and end up crumbling under it.

They feel embarrassed by posting low miles or zeroes and end up not posting at all, hurting the team more than the low mileage did.

And yes, stay away from the tempo pace I think you should be running, as that'll kill ya. lol