Beginners and Beyond

Penguins are sleeping in on Wednesday (Read 27 times)

Mmmmm...beer

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning!

Man, it's been a while since I've started a daily thread, everybody still sleeping?

8 miles done this morning, coffee, then work, or maybe more coffee, then work, and coffee during work, and after work. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today.  Gotta leave work a bit early to pick up my BP med before the military pharmacy closes and then it's off to get my haircut after that.   Last night was National Night Out and our street had a nice little 'get to know each other" block party for the residents. It was very nice, grilled hot dogs, lots of other food, cold beer, soda, etc.  Nice little party for a few hours, very enjoyable.

Aren't you the early a.m. go-getter, Dave?  Making all the rest of us look bad.  Wink

I feel for Damaris and all the other govt folks and active duty military folks who are getting all the fall-out from the govt shutdown.  I consider myself very lucky to be RETIRED military at this point because retired benefits are not funded through the annual appropriations process, but instead paid for by multi-year bills, and our money has already been appropriated out, so our checks will continue to come.   I sure hope this issue gets resolved pretty soon, wishing the best for all of you affected by this!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning! Sad to say we placed 2nd at bar trivia and didn't win Sad

Will put in some miles after work. Looks like today will be the last day to do that so I'm taking advantage.....from tomorrow on out all my clients for my Tues/Thurs part time evening job and Mond/Weds part time evening  job have approval to start getting therapy for the school year. Until now I only had a few clients on Thurs, but now the crazy schedule is back!! 14 hour days here I come! 

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone. Managed 2 miles lastnight :/ I'm about ready to just throw in the towel and give up. Feeling very defeated atm.

Bought some KT Tape Pro lastnight from CVS. Followed the instructions to a T and the tape just keeps peeling off. I wouldn't know if this stuff works or not because I can't get it to stay on long enough to find out! Waste of 20 bucks!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I was awake.  I just had stuff to do.  Probably more slow running tonight.  Legs feel good, but slow and heavy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

jblack- Did you shave the area?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Dad on the run.

Yep, Now I have a big bald spot on my leg, and tape that don't work! Reminds me of the old song "Did I shave my back for this"

jblack- Did you shave the area?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That sucks j.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

PADRunner

4 Easy this morning and gym tonight.

Scotty we had a NNO last night also, with all the goodies. Police stopped by to say hello and all. Pretty good time.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is October 2nd.  On this day in history, in 1950, the first "Peanuts" cartoon, by Charles Schultz, was published in the papers.

Holidays for today are:

National Fried Scallops Day (YUK!)

National Custodial Worker Day

Name Your Car Day (my car's name is "Rover")

Guardian Angels Day

World Farm Animals Day

KEYWORD1  2012-01-03  ocean  oceans  sea  seas  water  wet  beach  beaches

KEYWORD1  1999-01-03  dandruff  dander  flake  flakes  flaky  snow  snowing  skin

janitor cartoons, janitor cartoon, janitor picture, janitor pictures, janitor image, janitor images, janitor illustration, janitor illustrations

guardian angel cartoons, guardian angel cartoon, guardian angel picture, guardian angel pictures, guardian angel image, guardian angel images, guardian angel illustration, guardian angel illustrations

guardian angel cartoons, guardian angel cartoon, guardian angel picture, guardian angel pictures, guardian angel image, guardian angel images, guardian angel illustration, guardian angel illustrations

guardian angel cartoon: Angel to lady: 'I'm the angel food cake angel. I bring you peace, hope and comfort food.'

Llama Cartoon 7580

Cow Cartoon 7608

farm cartoons, farm cartoon, farm picture, farm pictures, farm image, farm images, farm illustration, farm illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

Dave, maybe you should have some coffee...

Scotty, I can't believe that you don't already know everyone on your block.  We all know you aren't shy!

Krisitn -- glad to hear that your birthday yesterday ended on a better note than how it started.  More work = more $$, correct?

Jimmy, I don't know why the KT tape wouldn't stick for you.  When DD had to use it to stabilize a knee injury, the trainer would tape her and it lasted a week of practices / meets / showers.

Awood -- good morning!

PAD -- good job getting the miles done early

AFM -- Today is a SRD, but I think I'm going to do tomorrow's workout today so DH and I can pick apples tomorrow.  (The orchard isn't open today.)

Zelanie

Morning!  I did get to sleep in because I have a meeting this AM that starts a little later. Smile  I will run 8 after work tonight.

D2- Thanks for getting us started!  Enjoy the coffee!

Scotty- Glad your benefits aren't getting messed up with this BS.

kristin- Good luck with the busy days!  I have a hard enough time with one of two days of "after work" jobs.  I don't know how you do it!

Jimmy- I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated.  Is the thought that you need to get to marathon distance adding to the stress?

Awood- Hope you have a good run later.

Margo- Have a good run, and enjoy apple picking!  BTW, I loved your description of having to cook for a party while workmen are removing your cabinets and coutnertops.  Hope you are getting through it OK!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Sorry for my lack of personals lately. It seems I barely have time to breathe, some days.  Swim practice, XC practice, chores about the house, getting my runs in, parent conferences the next two days... etc.  Life!!  Believe me, I do get on the computer at night well after most of you are asleep (I'm west coast) and get caught up with your runs and stuff.

Today, (after swim practice of course), I have a 14 mile run at an 8:45 pace. Last week I had my first 55 mile week and I am feeling good.

Have a good day.

Zelanie

Jack- Nice mileage there!