Beginners and Beyond

Brian Kraft Memorial 5K RR - well that went better than expected....... (Read 99 times)

Quick summary:

18:07 chip time, 18:09 gun

80.1% age-graded time

105th male, 117th overall, 20th in 40-49 AG (8th in 45-49)

471 total runners

Recap:

I decided late last week to sign up to race this 5K. I've been meaning to run it the past couple of years but have always been out of town. Plus, I have done nothing but easy runs since Boston and wanted to stretch my legs out a bit since I've felt a little lazy the past week or so. As it turned out, I was in better fitness than I thought.

Even though this is billed as a 5K run/walk to raise money benefiting a good cause, this race is also part of the USATF Minnesota team circuit series. It is a series for local recreational runners and clubs. These races, especially the four that are of the 5K-10K distance, are also where you can find the local big dogs. This ain't like any other local 5K as the top 9 guys went sub-15, and 31 went sub-16.

My goal was to go out and run a nice "tempo" pace of 6:00 miles and shoot for an 18:36. If I felt like I had more I would take it and if not, oh well. The course is conducive to good times as it is fairly flat and is one loop around a small lake.

Mile 1:  5:56

Started well with one thought: MIND YOUR PACE. In these circuit races it is extremely easy to get caught up with people you have no business running with and wreck yourself in the first mile. I did well here and when I saw the 1 mile marker I knew I was going to pick it up as this was feeling much better than I anticipated.

Mile 2:  5:49

I began mile two by passing a couple runners and by the halfway point of this mile I was starting to feel the discomfort that 5K's bring. We had also turned into the slight breeze that was present. I really hate wind of any kind during races. Knowing I was on pace for a real nice time and passing a couple more runners right before the mile 2 marker kept me pretty focused on breathing and keeping my leg turnover going strong.

Mile 3:  5:46

If you've run a smart race, no matter how fast you are, this is the time when it can be a little "fun" as you may be passing some of those who went out too fast. I picked off another 4-5 runners in this mile and can remember only being passed by one. Sitting here typing this I'm thinking I probably didn't push as hard as I could during this mile but then again I didn't expect I'd have this much in me today. I didn't sense that I was quite as far into the "pain cave" as I have been with other 5K's. Or maybe it was just experience and being comfortable with the discomfort.

Stretch run:  0:38  (5:24 pace by my garmin)

Just before the mile 3 marker I put the hammer down a little. Trying to keep two guys just behind me at bay, which I did, and tried to catch a gal just in front of me, which I sort of did. Wound up with the exact same chip and gun times as her. And when I crossed the finish line I remembered why 5K's aren't my favorite distance. They hurt.

But it was a good hurt as I beat my goal and considering the "training" I've done the past few weeks I'm damn happy. One of these days I'm going to do some specific 5K-10K training and see what I might be able to do.

Trail Monster

Nice work! Holy smokes speedy!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

LRB

Those splits look awfully damn good there!  What do you do for a warmup?

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Awesome run today!  I'm impressed that you had he guts to get out there and do it after having not done any specific training.  Usually I shy away from races because of that.  It's so rare to see someone build into a 5k on here, but I don't think that's a bad strategy at all, especially if one hasn't been training for it specifically.  I love that it was a strong overall race too.  I think that's just as much fun as finishing top 10 or whatever.  I'm right with you on the "one of these days" comments in regard to shorter race training.  It's a shame we can't hop into it together as you'd make a great training partner for me.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Ric-G

wow, that was some race and great time...congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

New 5k training plan: do a bunch of easy runs, get lazy, then show up & lay down an 18. Count me in! Oh yeah, forgot about the years of dedication & training before that. Nevermind.

Great race!

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow... that is fast. Well done, Fuzzy.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, speedy!  Congrats.

Damaris

Those splits look awfully damn good there!  What do you do for a warmup?

Thanks LRB.

Today I did 1 mile sloooow followed by some dynamic stretches - butt kicks, high knees, etc. Followed those with another mile but this one a little faster, almost easy pace. After that I did about 6 strides of 40-50 yards. Then it was go time.

New 5k training plan: do a bunch of easy runs, get lazy, then show up & lay down an 18. Count me in! Oh yeah, forgot about the years of dedication & training before that. Nevermind.

Great race!

Thanks.I've often thought that recreational runners that have been running and training for a while (a few years at least) are probably in better shape for racing like this than they give themselves credit for. It just goes to show that if you do anything other than completely stop running you maintain your fitness a lot better than you think.

Awesome run today!  I'm impressed that you had he guts to get out there and do it after having not done any specific training.  Usually I shy away from races because of that.  It's so rare to see someone build into a 5k on here, but I don't think that's a bad strategy at all, especially if one hasn't been training for it specifically.  I love that it was a strong overall race too.  I think that's just as much fun as finishing top 10 or whatever.  I'm right with you on the "one of these days" comments in regard to shorter race training.  It's a shame we can't hop into it together as you'd make a great training partner for me.

+1

It's a shame we can't hop into it together as you'd make a great training partner for me.

Forget that, we want to see you guys RACE!

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, you are speedy!  18 minutes is about my 1-mile time... Wink

Congrats on your race!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

Forget that, we want to see you guys RACE!

+1

Great job, Fuzzy.  If you ever train specifically for the shorter distances, hot damn!

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Great job!