Beginners and Beyond

Does this appeal to anyone? (Read 194 times)

Sloooow.

I would die. 99.9% sure. I leave the 0.1% dependent on the skill of the doctors on the course to revive me.

I nearly fainted after a 5K that was 80. Nah, not interested.

I hope they don't end up with fatalities.

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Not one bit.  Did an 88-mile bike ride in 102-degree heat w/moderate humidity last year, and had to take special measures to keep from getting heat exhaustion.  Namely, ride to gas station, chuck helmet in ice chest outside station.  Go directly to beer cave.  Lament that beer doesn't even look good.  Wait 5 minutes.  Come out.   Purchase sports drink.  Go back to beer cave and consume sports drink.  Come out.  Purchase another sports drink.  Retrieve helmet.  Suck wheel and hang on for dear life until next gas station.  Yeah, this cycle happened 3x that afternoon.  I'm happy with hitting my thermal physical limit and living to tell about it.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Not quite right

When it hits 75 here in the Seattle area and I think it's like running on the surface of the sun. I would die in those temps

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I thought you were going to link to the Marathon des Sables.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Any race that arranges an insurance policy for its participants to cover "evacuation on medical grounds and corpse repatriation in the event of death" is gonna be a no-go for me. Although, after reading through the website, I find the whole thing incredibly fascinating.

I thought you were going to link to the Marathon des Sables.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I am NOT a hot-weather runner/racer whatsoever, so definitely NO.

yall pay to get me there, I will do it. I wont complain.

might need some sun screen and some beer afterwards.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

dallison

registered pw

negative

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Walk-Jogger

It's only 7 miles? I'd totally do it. 110 degrees? That's not so bad, if you dress for it. It's a dry heat, after all.

It sounds like a cake-walk, compared to this one: "The Badwater Ultramarathon describes itself as "the world's toughest foot race". It is a 135-mile course starting at 282 feet below sea level in the Badwater Basin, in California's Death Valley, and ending at an elevation of 8360 feet at Whitney Portal, the trailhead to Mount Whitney. It takes place annually in mid-July, when the weather conditions are most extreme and temperatures over 120 °F, even in the shade, are not uncommon." 

Retired &  Loving It

Mmmmm...beer

I'd say Badwater still has it beat, and it's a little arrogant of them to even put their race in the same category.  Definitely gimmicky.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

DavePNW

It sounds like a cake-walk, compared to this one: "The Badwater Ultramarathon describes itself as "the world's toughest foot race". It is a 135-mile course starting at 282 feet below sea level in the Badwater Basin, in California's Death Valley, and ending at an elevation of 8360 feet at Whitney Portal, the trailhead to Mount Whitney. It takes place annually in mid-July, when the weather conditions are most extreme and temperatures over 120 °F, even in the shade, are not uncommon." 

That one actually made Dean Karnazes pass out & DNF the first time he tried it.

Dave

Walk-Jogger

Retired &  Loving It

Hottest Sporting Event Ever

But its a dry heat......probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

I'd like to, just to see if I were capable.

Walk-Jogger

But its a dry heat......probably doesn't make a lot of difference.

At  110 F, 0% humidity, the "feels like" temperature is 99 F. At 50% humidity, the feels like temp is 150 F.

I'd call that a lot of difference.

Retired &  Loving It