Beginners and Beyond

Need Some Advice on my Recovery Plan for Race #1 (Read 34 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, so I'm being OCD about this. As some might know and some might not know, next weekend I am running two half marathons. Saturday morning's race is the Kentucky Derby Festival Half (road race) and Sunday morning is the Backside Trail Half (trail race). The big plan is to not go all out for the first but not really take it easy if possible.... just pushing my body a tad past it's comfort zone during the first race.

The second race will be on trails and have hills, so I plan to run easy and hike the hills while listening to my body and just enjoy the scenery and the trails (I love trails).

So I am trying to put together a game plan to follow immediately after the first race. These "steps" aren't in order because I need your help in deciding which should come first that can help me the most.

• Immediately fuel up, whether by chocolate milk, protein brownies, steel cut oats with blueberries and some protein powder, and water.
    • Stretch once I get back to the hotel room.
    • Get back in bed for 2-3 hours and just relax and rest
    • Take a warm, hot bath with either epsom salt or "Village Naturals Therapy mineral bath soak salt" - Aches + Pains muscle relief.
    • foam roll
    • eat something/lunch
    • Take it easy during the Jim Beam distillery tour later in the day

Am I missing anything?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Zelanie

Make sure to keep walking for 10-15 minutes after you cross the finish line.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Well yeah that one too, I think I'll have no choice if they have "barriers" like Go! St. Louis does lol. This time we're a 19 minute drive from the start/finish so we'll be walking from the finish to the Tahoe, hopefully that will give me a good 10-15 minute walk.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Zelanie

Well yeah that one too, I think I'll have no choice if they have "barriers" like Go! St. Louis does lol. This time we're a 19 minute drive from the start/finish so we'll be walking from the finish to the Tahoe, hopefully that will give me a good 10-15 minute walk.

I figured you would, but since IMO that would be the #1 thing that would make a difference, I should mention it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I figured you would, but since IMO that would be the #1 thing that would make a difference, I should mention it.

Lol  thanks

PRs

StepbyStep-SH

And actually, I would go for a walk later in the day, too. Not just stay in bed.

Consider hanging out in the cool swimming pool at your hotel for a little while also.

And get some healthy refueling in.

I say this having done back-to-back marathons with a 4-hour drive after the first (during which I stopped at least every hour to walk, stretch, get more water, use the restroom, etc.). I don't necessarily recommend the bottle of wine I had that evening while laughing with friends until 10 p.m., despite our 4:30 a.m. wakeup for a 6 a.m. start the next day. Wink

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

And actually, I would go for a walk later in the day, too. Not just stay in bed.

Consider hanging out in the cool swimming pool at your hotel for a little while also.

And get some healthy refueling in.

I say this having done back-to-back marathons with a 4-hour drive after the first (during which I stopped at least every hour to walk, stretch, get more water, use the restroom, etc.). I don't necessarily recommend the bottle of wine I had that evening while laughing with friends until 10 p.m., despite our 4:30 a.m. wakeup for a 6 a.m. start the next day. Wink

I don't know how much walking we'll be doing a the distillery but we've got a tour scheduled at 2:30 PM at the Jim Beam, and I might take Dorian to the park that the 2nd race is at, just to check things out depending on the weather and how I feel.

PRs

StepbyStep-SH

I don't know how much walking we'll be doing a the distillery but we've got a tour scheduled at 2:30 PM at the Jim Beam, and I might take Dorian to the park that the 2nd race is at, just to check things out depending on the weather and how I feel.

:thumbsup:

hog4life

I would add some Advil or Alieve in there. Just my opinion, but I would not lay around in bed either. How well/quickly do you ordinarily recover after your 10 mile LR's? I think the stretching and rolling will help a lot.

You might think about Monday too, j/s. I have a 3 day stage race coming up, so I've done a couple back to back 10+ mile runs to prepare. The next day is even worse, I just hope I can survive day 3 .

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I would add some Advil or Alieve in there. Just my opinion, but I would not lay around in bed either. How well/quickly do you ordinarily recover after your 10 mile LR's? I think the stretching and rolling will help a lot.

You might think about Monday too, j/s. I have a 3 day stage race coming up, so I've done a couple back to back 10+ mile runs to prepare. The next day is even worse, I just hope I can survive day 3 .

This morning's long run didn't leave me sore at all, in fact I was feeling great towards the end. I am taking Ibuprofen with me... should I switch it to Advil instead?

I am promising my body the whole following week off from running, maybe a few 3 mile walks on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday then see how I feel for a very easy run on either Saturday or Sunday.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I really didn't do anything different than I do after my regular runs between two HMs or a HM and a full.  Just make sure you are hydrating during the day.  You have enough base to do well in both.  Good luck!

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

This morning's long run didn't leave me sore at all, in fact I was feeling great towards the end. I am taking Ibuprofen with me... should I switch it to Advil instead?

I am promising my body the whole following week off from running, maybe a few 3 mile walks on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday then see how I feel for a very easy run on either Saturday or Sunday.

These are the same thing. Ibuprofen is the active ingredient - Advil is the brand name.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

These are the same thing. Ibuprofen is the active ingredient - Advil is the brand name.

Oh good, I was thinking of taking two in Saturday evening before going to bed or should I take two a couple hours before the 2nd race?

PRs

StepbyStep-SH

Personally, I don't like to take NSAIDS (this categories covers ibuprofen/Advil, as well as naproxen/Aleve) before a run for two reasons: 1) I don't want the pain dulled if it might indicate that something is wrong. 2) NSAIDS + strenuous exercises isn't great for your kidneys.

I would say take then Saturday night IF you are sore and would help you sleep. Otherwise, don't bother. Just my two cents.

LRB

ESU.