Beginners and Beyond

Mitten Run 5K RR - my 50th race (Read 62 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

A 5K PR two weeks after your marathon, Baboon, nice!   Your running strength and speed always amazes me.  I just get tired READING your pace times, lol.   Congrats on your 5K!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Meh......a bionic knee is cheating!   

Seriously, though, that's friggin' great!!  I'm one that does feel as though high mileage can yield improvements in shorter races by default, but I also agree that if you were to do focused 5K training, you're definitely knocking on the door of sub-20!

Congrats!

Randy

music_girl117

This is awesome!  And I am astounded that you set a one-mile PR in the last mile of a 5k!    What a great year you've had; congrats.  And yes, the hat is awesome too.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Just awesome Baboon.  Don't underestimate the positive impact of your marathon, that pushes your fitness to a whole new level, and you are now reaping the benefits.  While a short time, 2 weeks is not too bad for a 5k, the stress on your body is not as hard as a 10k or half.  Now back off a bit for the holidays, let your body heal up some more and hit it hard in January.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Mile 1:  6:36. ... 

Mile 2:  6:32. ... From what I remember of 5K's, I should be in a world of hurt right now.  I wasn't though.   

Mile 3:  6:18.  This was a one mile PR for me.  I was feeling really strong was flying past people.  I am not used to that in a 5K.  One after another.  I don't think I was passed once the final mile.  I knew I had a nice PR brewing here.  Finally at mile 2.9 I thought, "This sucks and it needs to end." 

Final .1:  6:49 pace.  I coasted into the finish.  Clock read 20:22.  Official time was 20:18, good for a 24 second PR.  Freakin NICE.

I think I went out too "comfortably."  Seems to me I should have been hurting a lot more a lot sooner.  I don't know if I had a sub-20 in me today, but I think I could have squeezed another 10 seconds or so out of this race, not that it really matters.  Being inexperienced in the 5K makes it tough to know how to race it.  This race was a really nice finish to what's been a great year.  I've set PR's in the marathon twice, HM twice, 10K twice, and now the 5K.

I think you've been reading too many LTH posts. Depending on how challenging those early hills were, your pace may have been spot on or no more than a few seconds slow. About two miles is where you should begin feeling the strain of the pace. If you are feeling a world of hurt, that last mile takes forever...and will be slower, even much slower than the early miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

outoftheblue

What a fitting "cap" to the end of an awesome racing season.  That was a fantastic race, particularly the last mile, made all the more impressive that it was right on the heels of your marathon.  Congrats!

Life is good.

LRB

What a fitting "cap" to the end of an awesome racing season.  

Hmm, there are three weeks left in the year. Is he done or just getting warmed up?

tracilynn

congrats on a great race!  I really like the Tobaggan too :-)

~~~~~~~

Traci

onemile

I have to say... I'm jealous.  But also, congrats!

Baboon

delicate flower

Thanks again for all the comments and feedback.  Very much appreciated!

I think you've been reading too many LTH posts. Depending on how challenging those early hills were, your pace may have been spot on or no more than a few seconds slow. About two miles is where you should begin feeling the strain of the pace. If you are feeling a world of hurt, that last mile takes forever...and will be slower, even much slower than the early miles.

Dropping that fast third mile just made me feel like I ran too easy until that point.  But who knows...maybe I inadvertently ran a smart race.  I have never been able to run such a faster third mile which makes me feel like I did something wrong.  Maybe if I run more than one 5K a year I'd have a better idea.  It was a lot of fun though passing so many people.  I am not used to that.

Hmm, there are three weeks left in the year. Is he done or just getting warmed up?

In all likelihood, I am done for the year.  No plans to do another race.  Next up is a HM on Feb 28, and it's the hilly one that I failed so miserably at last year (1:53).  I am actually looking forward to a couple months of good training without worrying about an upcoming race, and if I feel like blowing up my legs in a workout I can go ahead and do it without fear of jeopardizing a race.  Also, ski season starts this coming weekend.  Smile

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

I seriously had to Google this.  I thought, "Where the heck did I mention anything about a sled?"  LOL

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I seriously had to Google this.  I thought, "Where the heck did I mention anything about a sled?"  LOL

This is funny. In a thread on RW someone posted about taking off his toboggan partway through a race, so I posted a picture of a toboggan sled asking how he could be carrying one of those. He had to Google it because he only knew toboggans as knitted hats.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Dropping that fast third mile just made me feel like I ran too easy until that point.  But who knows...maybe I inadvertently ran a smart race.  I have never been able to run such a faster third mile which makes me feel like I did something wrong.

Smart pacing, ergo smart race.

Baboon

delicate flower

Smart pacing, ergo smart race.

But not on purpose!

<3

tracilynn

I didn't spell it correctly so that probably didn't help either.   Maybe calling the knit cap a "Toboggan" is a southern thing?

~~~~~~~

Traci