Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday's Penguin Thread (Does this help?) (Read 24 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I wanted to see if an early start would help everybody out.

I got outside last night, and it was great.  I ran a couple of miles to warm up, and was shooting for 8 X 1200 with 30 seconds rest.  I ended up with 6 x 1200.  Imagine this.  After being on a treadmill on winter, my pacing isn't all that great...lol  Every time I checked during a work bout, I was between 7:25 and 8:15.  Each one trended toward faster, which was a pleasant surprise.  Anyway, I got outside and got a decent workout.  My total was 8.7 miles.

Tonight will be slow and easy for an undetermined distance.  Catch you guys later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

PADRunner

Morning, I ran! 2.25 last night. with no knee pain just the usual pains. I wanted to try for 3 but It felt good I was at a faster pace and didn't make it. Now to get back into a routine again.

Boot camp tonight.

hog4life

Awood, nice workout.

Pad, glad you are able to get started back without knee pain.

Schedule calls for a tempo of 35 minutes, but I think I will do hills instead. We also start our packet stuffing today for our company's Hero Dash 5k. I am the co-race director and will be doing the timing; hopefully I get to run too. I'll try to do a RR from the RD point of view, should be a fun event. In case you don't know, there is a ton of work that goes on behind the scenes.

Philliefan33

Good morning.

4-5 miles planned for tonight.  The weather forecast is calling for rain, so I might get wet.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Goooood morning!   GREAT run/walk last night!

Sunny, 85 degrees, low humidity and dew-point, clear blue skies, light wind.   Yeah, a great day for a run on the San Antonio Riverwalk and that's where I went.  SO convenient to work for University of Texas - San Antonio because we have a campus in the downtown area right near the Riverwalk.   So I started there, got onto the Riverwalk, made a big loop on the paths there - enjoying the BRIGHT green water, as San Antonio dyes the river a VERY green for the week of St. Patrick's Day - and then back to the campus, where I could then use the shower facilities before driving home.   Ended up with 4.2 miles.    Non running day today, plan on doing my weight training circuit if I don't get too darn lazy after the work day.

Thanks for starting us off, Awood!  Nice that you could get an outside run for a change!

Happy boot camp, PAD!  Glad you had just the 'usual' pains.

Good luck with the hills, Mitch, and good luck with all your preps for your upcoming race!

Happy running tonite, Margo, hope the weather cooperates for you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted by Jack on Tuesday:  Robert: say hi to Goofy for me.

Are Robert and I meeting?  I didn't even know...  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Busy day, fitting in a quick lifting workout at some point, no run because I woke up too late :P We had a gas leak in the basement yesterday, a technician from the gas company came out right away and it was an easy fix but it still rattled my nerves and I slept terribly. Blech. Can't wait to go back to bed and it's not even 10 AM yet here!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I have quartet practice tonight, woo-hoo!!  Not much else going on, so that's my update.

Awood -- good morning!!  Glad you got outside!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for no knee pain!!

hog -- have fun with the hills!!

Phillie -- hope you don't get wet!!  But it's drizzling here, so you probably will ...

scotty -- woo-hoo for your great run!!  Enjoy the weights tonight!!

Lauren -- that would've rattled me too!!  Glad it was an easy fix!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning!  Running late. Smile  Surprise choir concert tonight (thanks for the heads up, DD), so RD for me.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

morning!  SRD for me.  in court so I will catch up later!

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Awood: Nice run. Those 1200 intervals are tough and you had minimal rest between them.

PAD: "Usual pains." I know the feeling.

Hog: Nice RR and cool pictures.

PF: Nice to hear from you again. Smile

Scotty: Yes, you and Robert are having an FE. I worked hard putting it together so please don't let me down.

Lauren: Ooohh... Scary stuff!

HsM: hi.

Zel: How is you dog? Is she home?

Docket: Kick some butt in there.

As for me, I am driving so San Diego to pick up DS. He is done with finals today and is coming home for spring break. I just hope I can beat the traffic. If I don't get home too late I hope to do a six mile tempo run.

GinnyinPA

Busy morning today.  Thanks for getting us started Awood.

Awood- sounds like a really good hard workout.  I'm glad you were able to get out after all.

PAD - hurray for no knee pain.  You were smart to take it easy on a first run.  Have fun at boot camp.

Mitch - enjoy your hills.  I know that behind the scenes is always a lot more work than shows to the participants.  I don't see how you can do timing and run as well, but if you can delegate . . .

Margo - we got rain today too.  Have fun this evening if you do go out.

Scotty - another good river run.  I love the photo.  Enjoy your weights this evening.

Lauren - after all the big explosions lately, a gas leak is scary.  Good luck with the weights this evening.

HopesMom - have fun making music tonight.

Z - I hope you aren't supposed to bring anything to the concert besides yourself.  Have fun this evening anyway. How is Zoe today?

D - good luck in Court today.

Jack - enjoy the time with your son.  I hope you get a run in later.

Robert - enjoy the magic kingdom.

AFM:  Feeling stiff and sore after yesterday's run.  I don't know why.  It wasn't far (5 miles) and it was fairly flat, but I ran it faster than usual, especially the last mile, so my body is protesting today. I may do treadmill later to loosen up a bit.

Zelanie

Jack, enjoy spring break with DS. Zoe should be ready to come home tomorrow.

Scotty- Yes, I will be running lots in Costa Rica because I will be marathon training. But it should be a good way to sightsee!

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins (just barely)!

Awood- Nice workout!

PAD- Yay for no knee pain!

Mitch- Thank you for your service as RD!

Phillie- I hope you get a dry spell for your run.

Scotty- I envy your Riverwalk trail.

Lauren- I would be rattled too.

Z and DR- enjoy the RD.

Jack- enjoy the tempo run and Spring break!

Ginny- I hope the TM works out the soreness.

AFM- racing Saturday(5K) so I did my LR early in the week.  Easy 3 today and a hill workout tomorrow.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28