Beginners and Beyond

RR- Corvallis Fall Festival 10K - PR (Read 71 times)

workinprogress11

Congratulations on a great PR.   I am horrible at pacing the 10k distance, but you did a great job.   I bet you aren't too far away from hitting your goal.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good job on your race! Your splits look pretty even. The part about knowing words like Orchid and Lilac made me laugh!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Baboon

delicate flower

Zelanie, great job on the course PR, especially considering you trained through this and did your LR two days prior.  It's really hard to race to your full potential when you go into a race with fatigued legs.  With two months until your HM, you've still got time to get even faster.

I had to google what an obturator is.  And colds hands are the worst.

<3

Zelanie

workin- Thanks.  There aren't a lot of 10Ks around here, but I will keep my eye out for them.

Gustav- Thanks!

Phil- Thank you!  I do have to admit that my LRs aren't that long at the moment, really. But they are for where I am in my training, I guess.

TakeAHike

Great race Zelanie and a very entertaining report.  You have made an excellent recovery from injury and ran a smart race.  Perhaps you could have pushed a bit more, but you already managed a huge PR.  I look forward to reading about your upcoming HM.  Nice job.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, you killed your past course PR!  Way to go!  Especially in weather like that!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job Z!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

outoftheblue

Great job and congrats on a huge PR.  I think it's hard when you don't race a distance very often to know how hard to push yourself in the beginning.  Maybe you left a little in the tank, but you raced well and had a strong kick at the end.

Life is good.

Ric-G

great report and congrats on the course pr! congrats.

marathon pr - 3:16

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats Zelanie! Nice report and great racing!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

I feel good about this race, though clearly I had a lot left at the finish.  I don’t know whether it’s sandbagging so much as I haven’t really developed the mental ability to push myself into sub-LT territory and hold it there.  I kind of feel like I ran this race like a mini-HM instead of a 10K.

You did not mention doing any type of strides during your warm up which for me is key for a 10k, since it is so close to 5k pace but twice the distance.  And thus, one of the reasons it is a tough distance to race mentally is because the demons have twice as long to play with you.  ; )

Having said that, it is good that you are back and healthy!  You have your eyes on the bigger prize, so your head is in the right place.

Nice work ZZ!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awesome job!  Congrats, Z.

Damaris

Zelanie

TakeAHike- Thanks!  Hopefully I enjoy writing about the HM. Smile

Scotty- Like I said, part of my success in the crummy weather is you getting on my case to stay off the TM on bad days and get out there!

OOTB- True, I just kept thinking of a 10K as "sucks as much as a 5K but twice as long", because that's kind of what it felt like last year.  So I guess I was pleasantly surprised.

LRB- I actually did do 3 sets of strides at the end of my warmup, although since that was 20 minutes before the race, I don't know that it helped much.  I am sold on the strides since they do 4 x 100 for warmup on the track workout days, and that sure does help me find my pace for the first interval right afterwards!

FreeSoul, RicG, Kristin, Damaris- Thank you!

Daves_Not_Here

Excellent RR Zel...I wish I could wordcraft like you and others here. You may have missed your goal, but you did indeed run a solid race. Nicely done. Smile

SheCan

Great job, Zelanie!

I'd be curious how fast you could have been had you really pushed it.  Congratulations on the race, and on your comeback.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson