Beginners and Beyond

do you get a Xmas bonus? (Read 444 times)

Docket_Rocket

Which makes me wonder if the company claims it as part of the 2012 expenses but pay it out much later...when they have money.  I used to be an accountant in my prior career life and we used to do shit like that because the company was low on money to pay payroll, etc.

Exactly. And I would bet that a bonus paid at year end(someone said February) or March isn't really a Christmas bonus.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

TxDiverMom

I am a CPA.  They can legitimately claim it as part of their 2012 expenses if they are on an accrual basis.  Performance bonuses aren't paid till after the earnings are audited because they want to be sure the earnings are actually there.  For smaller companies, I'm sure there is some funny stuff sometimes with the timing of payments.  But for the bigger companies, it's usually more about earnings (they have to report quarterly) than cash.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Which makes me wonder if the company claims it as part of the 2012 expenses but pay it out much later...when they have money.  I used to be an accountant in my prior career life and we used to do shit like that because the company was low on money to pay payroll, etc.

It's only a deduction if it's paid before March 15th 2013 (accrual or not - and assuming calendar year end).  If it's paid after 3/15 it's not a deduction in 2012.

Mmmmm...beer

No bonus here, but I have a good job that I like, and I've gotten a raise (sometimes pretty small, but a raise nonetheless) every year for the 10 years I've worked here, so I'm not complaining. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

RSX

No bonus but last year I finally won something at the holiday party, which was an ipod. They started a new policy that all prizes would be taxable events, so I got a grossed up late w-2. It was fine with me but some folks had already filed taxes before we received the revisions which they agreed to reimburse for tax preparers,. I'm guessing that would have been a taxable 2012 event.

StepbyStep-SH

DH's Christmas bonus was a certificate for up to $20 toward a ham or turkey - which other employees said the local grocery stores wouldn't accept. Roll eyes We haven't tried to redeem it yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

aponi

never runs the tangents

I give my hairdresser a bottle of wine. I have mixed feelings about this though since the time I gave her some red wine she told me that she spilled it on her pants on the way to the airport to pick up her husband.

yea uh driving so uh well hmmm

Now I give her a room temperature bottle of chardonnay so at least she has to go to the effort of chilling it before she drinks it while driving - or so you'd think.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

sheepla

No Christmas bonus. Get a bonus in February which is really more deferred compensation.  Haven't had a raise in YEARS so that bonus becomes more critical to me.

Meat Wagon

Puker

I gave all of my employees both a Thanksgiving bonus (enough for a turkey or bottle of Wild Turkey) and a Christmas Bonus. In return, my employees got me a big bottle of Jack Daniels for Christmas.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

My contract is written for a 0-10% bonus based on metrics.  Two weeks before Christmas I was given a 15% bonus (based on my yearly salary).  Yup, I love my job!

Oh, I also have a $5,000 deductible before my health insurance kicks in.  My company sent me a check for all of the expenses I had paid out this year.

Again, I love my job.  And I do realize how lucky I am.

CrisRuns

I give my hairdresser a bottle of wine. I have mixed feelings about this though since the time I gave her some red wine she told me that she spilled it on her pants on the way to the airport to pick up her husband.

yea uh driving so uh well hmmm

Now I give her a room temperature bottle of chardonnay so at least she has to go to the effort of chilling it before she drinks it while driving - or so you'd think.

LOL. How about cookies next year?

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

DH and I are both educators.  Neither of us have seen raises in years.  Bonuses are something we will never see.  And we teach in a "not-so-well-off" area, so we don't get gifts from students either.  Not that I would want their families to buy us anything.  We are honestly rich in comparison to lots of them.  Our bonuses come in forms that can't be taxed Wink

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

$25 Target gift card.  Woot, Woot. !!!!

bobruns

They took away the bonus this year but I just won $780 in an office contest!!  Wohoo!!!  They are still trying to figure out how to give it to me...

BruceD555

Other side of the fence here and we give 10% bonuses to our employees ... as well as spa gift certificates to spouses ... at our company Christmas party.

Train smart ... race smarter.