Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #31 (Read 33 times)

bluerun

Super B****

I had the same ones a year ago, and of course they were dashed. However nothing you do surprises me anymore, so go for it.

This is the only reason I have to run Boston again!! Of course, if I want a yellow shirt, I'm going to have to run it in 2021 anyway, so I guess I'll have another chance.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Just took the federal courthouse tour. Our court is a historical site and it is gorgeous. We are supposed to move to the not-so gorgeous 5th floor there in a year or two.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Well I don’t have to tell you this, but your job 24/7 from now till April 20th is to stay healthy. You’ll want to be in shape to run a marathon, but you don’t need to be in shape to PR. Because it’s not so likely to happen there anyway, unless your PR is particularly soft.

Yes, yes, and yes/probably!  I'm in exactly that frame of mind. Somewhat liberating not worrying about a goal time.  That said, I haven't run enough marathons to feel comfortable even about finishing no matter my training.

DavePNW

This is the only reason I have to run Boston again!! Of course, if I want a yellow shirt, I'm going to have to run it in 2021 anyway, so I guess I'll have another chance.

Please explain. Is there no yellow shirt this year? Why is this particularly desirable to you?

Dave

GinnyinPA

Cy - for me, a fartlek run is completely unstructured. It's supposed to be speed play, not a workout. Basically running hard or medium hard or easy from one mailbox to another, or one block to another, mixing paces and distance.  Intervals are very structured, where pace and distance are prescribed, not something you make up as you go. Strides and pick-ups are more fuzzy for me. I call any short burst of speed within a workout strides, but pickups is probably a better term. I don't do them at the end of my run as you are supposed to do. I just mix them in the middle. I usually pick up the pace for 50 to 100 m. then slow down. Repeat 6-10 times.

I have a LT workout this afternoon. 3 x 2 miles at HM pace.

FS - do you feel like you're doing too much? That's the only thing that really matters. You've been running long enough to know when you are pushing yourself too hard.

DavePNW

The Brooks version of the Vaporfly. Based on what Desi wore to win 2018 Boston. Also $250 - what a coincidence!

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The Brooks version of the Vaporfly. Based on what Desi wore to win 2018 Boston. Also $250 - what a coincidence!

Coincidence? I think not!

Hoka CarbonX also have that carbon plate but it's guided towards long ass distances rather than speed. But runners have broken 100 mile records in them, if I remember correctly.

Which is why I knew there wouldn't be a ban. Every other company is doing the same (I think Sarah Hall ran in something similar during her last marathon, which was pointed out on Ryan Hall's bitchy post about the 4%).

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Cy - for me, a fartlek run is completely unstructured. It's supposed to be speed play, not a workout. Basically running hard or medium hard or easy from one mailbox to another, or one block to another, mixing paces and distance.  Intervals are very structured, where pace and distance are prescribed, not something you make up as you go. Strides and pick-ups are more fuzzy for me. I call any short burst of speed within a workout strides, but pickups is probably a better term. I don't do them at the end of my run as you are supposed to do. I just mix them in the middle. I usually pick up the pace for 50 to 100 m. then slow down. Repeat 6-10 times.

I have a LT workout this afternoon. 3 x 2 miles at HM pace.

FS - do you feel like you're doing too much? That's the only thing that really matters. You've been running long enough to know when you are pushing yourself too hard.

I'm trying to think hard... I really am... but it's like that part of my brain, the part that is supposed to make good judgement calls, is shut off, I don't think I am doing too much. I think I've done things here and there to aggravate things, my calves are well-known to have awful tight knots and if I don't get them taken care of sooner than later, I usually suffer for it.

I mean, the fact that these aches and stiff tightness issues loosen up after 1-3 miles gives me hope that it's not something serious.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

are you gonna try them?

DavePNW

are you gonna try them?

I’m not in the position to drop that kind of coin on shoes rn, but otherwise I might consider it. At least go to the LRS and take them for a spin.

Dave

onemile

I’m not in the position to drop that kind of coin on shoes rn, but otherwise I might consider it. At least go to the LRS and take them for a spin.

I'd be curious to know how they compare to the VF but not really up for buying another $250 pair of shoes

onemile

I ran 5

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

5 draggy miles (but cracked 200 for the month).

200 for the month...

200 would be 3 months of running for me, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Doing San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo 5K tomorrow morning. My 6th race of 2020.  It does not even start until 9:30 am., so get to sleep in a bit.  There is also a parade and then the 'cattle drive' - a few cowboys actually herd some Longhorn steers right down Alamo Street.  For the 5K start we runners are put int a corral - and I mean a literal corral.  They do the countdown, then open the corral gate and we are all off and running.

Supposed to be nice weather.  We've had a pretty nice winter.  It has not gotten below freezing here all winter. At least not in San Antonio proper.  The Hill Country has a had a few times below 32, but not many.   High tomorrow for us in the upper 60s.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

bluerun

Super B****

Please explain. Is there no yellow shirt this year? Why is this particularly desirable to you?

AFAIK they alternate ... so even numbered years, the race shirt is blue, and odd numbered years, they're yellow. I already have a blue one, and will now have two.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog