Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #31 (Read 33 times)

bluerun

Super B****

200 for the month...

200 would be 3 months of running for me, lol.

It would be two months for me without an AlterG

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Runshortii

I ran 8 with a 5,4,3,2,1 fartlek. Since I got back from Aruba last week work has been super hectic and I came down with an awful cold  (I guess better than while I was on vacation?)  starting to feel a little better and trying to get back on track

Runshortii

Well I don’t have to tell you this, but your job 24/7 from now till April 20th is to stay healthy. You’ll want to be in shape to run a marathon, but you don’t need to be in shape to PR. Because it’s not so likely to happen there anyway, unless your PR is particularly soft.

I really needed this. I’ve been so hard on myself lately between coming back from injury, being really out of shape, 15lbs over my racing weight and the winter doesn’t help. I’ve finally come to terms that Boston might be my slowest marathon, and that’s fine. I’m just happy to get there

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I really needed this. I’ve been so hard on myself lately between coming back from injury, being really out of shape, 15lbs over my racing weight and the winter doesn’t help. I’ve finally come to terms that Boston might be my slowest marathon, and that’s fine. I’m just happy to get there

I was too last year. Finishing marathons without goals are also good! Work with what you have and enjoy the ride.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

I was too last year. Finishing marathons without goals are also good! Work with what you have and enjoy the ride.

I'm thinking that if I do another marathon in the fall, it will be "just for fun". No pace goals, just a scenic course somewhere that I run to finish.

DavePNW

I'm thinking that if I do another marathon in the fall, it will be "just for fun". No pace goals, just a scenic course somewhere that I run to finish.

So, a sexy one? 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris

DavePNW

Honestly you might enjoy it more. I was in great shape so I knew I had to go for broke. But in doing so was of course miserable for the final miles, and didn’t get any appreciation for the crowds and atmosphere of the most notable portion of the race. And completely missed Lauren from the Internet calling out my name.

Dave

DavePNW

6 miles, 211 for the month. Not bad after a bit of a rough start.

Dave

sdWhiskers

So, a sexy one? 

Ha. Does not need to be brag-able

As far as beautiful courses (and satisfactory logistics), I'd like to do Big Sur but that's April. Haven't started thinking about one in Fall yet. I'm just now getting to the point of maybe wanting to do another one

RunningOnSand

This is true, I could be just paranoid....

My issues started like 2 weeks before the 2019 IMM, or something did, now I can't remember. I I had trained in the wrong shoes, Neutral shoes instead of stability and then ran the marathon in those shoes. Things had finally eased up 2 weeks ago, then my dumb ass went vertical on some trails, over 1,000 feet in elevation gain twice - a 5 miler that was around 1,000 and a 7 miler that was around 1,200. Since then, my calves were so tight and hating me.

Monday I had my massage focused on trigger point, Tuesday's 5 miler still had some issues but mainly a stiff left shin and my right achilles feeling tight. I've been massaging like crazy and doing my yoga stretches and stuff. Yesterday I ran 6.3 miles, the first mile sucked awful, shins were tight and lower right calf as well. But I found a place to do some good stretching and everything eased up.

I'm hoping I just need some serious constant TLC, but I've noticed that for the past 3 years these stiff issues have been happening when the weather is constantly going back and forth from cold to warm to cold and wet... Probably just a coincidence though.

Do you have someone that does dry needling? I mean, you could continue to do all the stretching in the world, but if you have someone handy, why waste all that time when someone could help much faster? (This is only applicable if this is a tight muscle issue.)

onemile

Do you have someone that does dry needling? I mean, you could continue to do all the stretching in the world, but if you have someone handy, why waste all that time when someone could help much faster? (This is only applicable if this is a tight muscle issue.)

I have to say it seemed to do quick work on fixing my calf and no massaging, rolling, etc etc did anything.

RunningOnSand

I have to say it seemed to do quick work on fixing my calf and no massaging, rolling, etc etc did anything.

Same. It worked wonders for my hamstring. I'm hoping it'll help for my Achilles as well.

onemile

Same. It worked wonders for my hamstring. I'm hoping it'll help for my Achilles as well.

I think for the Achilles they do it on the calf too right?  it's supposed to be the most painful part of the body to do it on, and it actually wasn't terrible having it done (similar to other areas I have had needled) but afterwards it was SO SORE

RunningOnSand

I think for the Achilles they do it on the calf too right?  it's supposed to be the most painful part of the body to do it on, and it actually wasn't terrible having it done (similar to other areas I have had needled) but afterwards it was SO SORE

Yes--at least that's what I think she'll do it on (I've had really tight calves for months, so this isn't super surprising to me ). Good to know about prepping myself for some pain! Was it sore like muscle soreness after a workout? Or like bruised sore?