Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #23 (Read 36 times)

Cyberic

What'd you make of BRs post? The one that got censored with all the swear words?

"Opinions are like farts. We all have them. They all stink. Feel free to fuck RIGHT the fuck off back to wherever the fuck it is you came from and drown your sorrows into your favorite light American lager."

Dude went straight up east side on that one. lol

And you can't call running jogging?? Gasp I do it all the time. A jog to me is an easy run with no particular target or purpose and usually slow. Oops!

That post (the whole thing) was out of line, IMO. I'm not one to shy away from sharing a different opinion that what the majority thinks, but I try to do it in a factual way, without any personal attacks, and I expect people will do the same to me.

That post was like the posts in facebook where people insult each other like it's a sport (that's better than a hobby) or on some sports web sites underneath articles where people comment.

To me it was not the swearing in itself that was bad, it was the personal attack.

On the other hand, I don't like censorship so I don't know.

One thing is for sure, that thread is not very tempting.

BTW, a jog is the same thing to me as it is to you. And when someone says I'm a jogger, it doesn't bother me at all anymore, even if I would consider myself a runner.

DavePNW

BTW, a jog is the same thing to me as it is to you. And when someone says I'm a jogger, it doesn't bother me at all anymore, even if I would consider myself a runner.

Nonetheless, one of the best marathon signs I’ve ever seen was “Run like someone called you a jogger!”

Dave

LRB

That post (the whole thing) was out of line, IMO. I'm not one to shy away from sharing a different opinion that what the majority thinks, but I try to do it in a factual way, without any personal attacks, and I expect people will do the same to me.

That post was like the posts in facebook where people insult each other like it's a sport (that's better than a hobby) or on some sports web sites underneath articles where people comment.

To me it was not the swearing in itself that was bad, it was the personal attack.

On the other hand, I don't like censorship so I don't know.

One thing is for sure, that thread is not very tempting.

I do tend to get irritated when the news media labels a runner as a jogger, but understand that's what it's defined as in their realm. Otherwise, just spell my name right and we good. 

RunningOnSand

Yeah, the personal attacks by some of the people on there was really uncalled for. Sad I also wouldn't feel comfortable posting on that forum--the vibe there isn't welcoming (obvs--made evident by the personal attacks made today). I know it's not everybody.

So, randomly, January in MN is usually defined by subzero temps. If not subzero, at least in the single digits. The teens if we are lucky. It's been in the high 30s, we have slush and rain, and it'll be in the 30s for the next foreseeable future. Instead of being overjoyed, I can't help but think of Global Warming. Sad

For the Stryd users, in the Power Center on desktop computers, when it gives you suggestions of your zones, I'm assuming it's not reliable until you've had 6 weeks of data, and also until you've performed your critical power test? I've done mostly easy runs, with a couple mildly difficult workouts, so I'm guessing it's not reliable?

ETA: re: joggers & runners, I probably wouldn't qualify to be called a "runner" anyway, but I have no qualms about being called either.

Cyberic

I do tend to get irritated when the news media labels a runner as a jogger, but understand that's what it's defined as in their realm. Otherwise, just spell my name right and we good. 

You don't like BTW? I didn't know you were sensitive about that kind of stuff. LRB, BTW, JOG... I thought you went by any three letter acronym.

GinnyinPA

I ran 5.3 easy. It was warmer but felt colder since we didn't have any sun.

I am mostly a jogger, so I don't mind being called that. I remember one book, a mystery, that had a line about "the difference between runners and joggers is, it's always joggers that always find dead bodies. Runners never do."

DavePNW

ETA: re: joggers & runners, I probably wouldn't qualify to be called a "runner" anyway, but I have no qualms about being called either.

There have been plenty of threads in various forums throughout the years with people vigorously debating their opinions what defines a runner vs a jogger. But...

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Just got done with a four mile snoop joggy jog with the wife.

<3

sdWhiskers

I have a hard time saying that 'I am a runner'. Seems like it implies fastness and seriousness. I usually just say I like to run

And I agree with Ginny. It's always the joggers that find dead bodies!

RunningOnSand

I ran 5.3 easy. It was warmer but felt colder since we didn't have any sun.

I am mostly a jogger, so I don't mind being called that. I remember one book, a mystery, that had a line about "the difference between runners and joggers is, it's always joggers that always find dead bodies. Runners never do."

LOL wut?    

I hope I never find a dead body!

RunningOnSand

There have been plenty of threads in various forums throughout the years with people vigorously debating their opinions what defines a runner vs a jogger. But...

Thankfully!

RunningOnSand

snoop joggy jog with the wife.

LOL

RunningOnSand

I have a hard time saying that 'I am a runner'. Seems like it implies fastness and seriousness. I usually just say I like to run

Same.

I'll add an addendum (that I would say applies to others, but I have a hard time applying it to myself):

-you spent how many hours training for your last marathon, per week? I would say that is serious! I would call you a runner if I met you to your face. Actually, on these message boards, I would also call you a runner.

LRB

You don't like BTW? I didn't know you were sensitive about that kind of stuff. LRB, BTW, JOG... I thought you went by any three letter acronym.

Richard will do it. My name is the short form of Richard but Richard is not my name. I can and have gotten salty about that. 

RunningOnSand

Also, totally random: how do you post bitmojis on here? LRB, your profile pic was a bitmoji for awhile....