Beginners and Beyond

Cleveland Marathon RR - shortest report ever (Read 169 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Great job making the most of a rough day!

It's fun to see people hit milestones like that - in Fargo we passed a guy running his 300th marathon that day, and got to high-five Larry Macon, whose marathon count is over 1,000 and still going!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Love the Half

Honest to goodness but the best thing you can do on a hot day is just to bag all plans and go have fun.  If you try to PR, you'll do nothing but end up in the medical tent or in an ambulance.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on finishing, and with a smile too.  Great attitude.  Thanks for sharing.

Antipodean

Best decision for the day. And I envy your ability to have a busy/stressful week, not run, and then BAM, just go run a marathon. Wow.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm glad you got through it in one piece and had an enjoyable time in the process.  I was there last year when it was similar, which lead me to finding something else this year.  That heat is a lot to deal with, especially when we haven't had any time to acclimate.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

ry8564

Great job making the most of a rough day!

It's fun to see people hit milestones like that - in Fargo we passed a guy running his 300th marathon that day, and got to high-five Larry Macon, whose marathon count is over 1,000 and still going!

That's so funny because I saw Larry Macon on Sunday at the Rockford Marathon...he gets around!

Mostly harmless

Thanks for the RR! I'm glad you made the smart decision.  Finishing healthy and happy instead of risking heat stroke and not hitting your goal time anyway seems like an easy choice but we all know how stubborn we can be about that kind of thing.  Good job being smart and having a fun race!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Banshee! Smart move.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

It was smart to back off at the halfway point and take it easy for the rest of the race.  Congrats on finishing and making the best of a tough day.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

Trail Monster

Wow! So many replies! Thanks everyone. I figured I would post just to remind everyone to enjoy it when you can't have a good race anyway. Smile Didn't expect so many awesome responses.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Zelanie

Sounds like you had a great time!  Congrats on #7!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sounds like you turned 'felt like crap' into an enjoyable experience by hanging with those Jim Tucker folks.  Congrats on your marathon!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

Honest to goodness but the best thing you can do on a hot day is just to bag all plans and go have fun.  If you try to PR, you'll do nothing but end up in the medical tent or in an ambulance.

It's like you are talking about me.

Oh wait, you are...

MrNamtor

Sounds like a positive experience anyway. Hope everyone was alright and the ambulances were all for "minor" situations.

Trail Monster

Sounds like a positive experience anyway. Hope everyone was alright and the ambulances were all for "minor" situations.

According to the news report later, over 200 people were treated at the race and at least 20 were taken to the hospital.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop