Beginners and Beyond

Wrothful Wednesday Penguins (Read 33 times)

Dad on the run.

Docket - I don't know. That's what I have been trying to figure out but I can't really find any information stating rather the Reebok are neutral or stability.

Jack - No I haven't

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Well what do you know! According to Zappos the zigkick that they carry are stability!

Also just read a blog about neutral vs stability and this is what her therapist told her  "He explained that when shoes over stabilize, it can lead to hip injuries and IT band troubles."

That calls for a duh-duh-duh!!!!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

tracilynn

My ITBS seemed to go away when I went from stability to neutral (4mm) but now I have recurring shin splintsDead

I think I need some stability but maybe not too much?  I dunno... but today I dug out my old super feet orthotics to wear with my kinvaras.  Gonna try this combo for awhile.  My shins are still a little sore. I just want to run without pain for once!!  Im doing 3 sets of shin splint exercises everyday, have been for awhile too.  SHIN SPLINTS BE DAMNED HELLFIRE so sick of it.

I ran 5 miles this morning and it was a nice cool misty run.

my barely used almost new garmin 210 died, it shut off and would not turn on or charge or anything.  I had to do a master reset and lost everything.  Apparently this is a glitch in the 210 and happens oftenAngry

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy new shoes, Obiebyke, hope they work great for you!   They're SO ugly but I love them.  Sounds like how I feel about a couple of my relatives... Joking

Welcome back, kj!   Yeah, I guess the hills in Nashville probably did not help either, along with the warmer temp for you.  Good luck with your 2 miles today.

Happy new shoes to you too, Gustav!

Good luck with the mystery track workout, Zelanie.  Heck with the watch, don't wear it, and see what happens.  Hope your DD feels good about her testing.

Oh..ok Kristin...we have those here too.  Texas MedClinic is probably the biggest one, you can find those everywhere.

TxDiverMom;  it's cuz of this 'system' stuck in Texas, bringing all this rain, it is causing our humidity and dewpoint to be pretty high. It is moving though...cooler here in San Antonio today, only in the 60s.

Have fun with the tempo run, Philly.

18 miles one way....so round-trip, Mitch, you'd be training for an Ultra!

HsM, maybe your tech thinks just showing up for work IS something nice for you....

Yeah, I can't run in the Saucony Triumph, Jimmy because (a) they feel too mushy for me and (b) that is the shoe that Saucony replaced my BELOVED Saucony Trigons with...so I HATE them! Joking   Now I run in the ASICS Nimbus, which I love.  I think I can depend on ASICS not to change them too much (hopefully!), since those have been a 'winner' for so many years for the company.   Anyway, hope you find something that works for you.

Sucks about MCM being canceled, if that happens Damaris.

Nice photo, Lauren.  A couple of our cats did the same thing when we first got them.   Wow, sounds like a busy day and evening for you!

Sorry about the GI issues, Bin...those darn soldiers!  Wink   Glad you got your later miles in with no problem.

Good luck with the 11 miles, Jack!

My ITBS seemed to go away when I went from stability to neutral (4mm) but now I have recurring shin splintsDead  Most Neutral shoes don't provide much support, Traci, unless you go with a neutral 'fat guy' shoe like I use, the ASICS Nimbus.  They are designed with 'heavier' folks like me in mind, who have neutral feet or underpronate, but are fatter/bigger than the average neutral runner, and so need more support than most neutral shoes give.  The Mizuno Wave Creation is another good example.  So you might experiment with those and see if they help with the shin splints and your ITB.    Don't have any advice on your garmin, I still use my good old-fashioned Timex Ironman and that does me just fine.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Still hangin with my boss.  Will catch up later.  Just wanted to say hi.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

My ITBS seemed to go away when I went from stability to neutral (4mm) but now I have recurring shin splintsDead

I think I need some stability but maybe not too much?  I dunno... but today I dug out my old super feet orthotics to wear with my kinvaras.  Gonna try this combo for awhile.  My shins are still a little sore. I just want to run without pain for once!!  Im doing 3 sets of shin splint exercises everyday, have been for awhile too.  SHIN SPLINTS BE DAMNED HELLFIRE so sick of it.

I ran 5 miles this morning and it was a nice cool misty run.

my barely used almost new garmin 210 died, it shut off and would not turn on or charge or anything.  I had to do a master reset and lost everything.  Apparently this is a glitch in the 210 and happens oftenAngry

I agree 100% with the bolded statement - I just realized a few days ago that last weekend was me and good ol' shin splints' 1-year anniversary! They haven't been bothering me lately (major knock on wood here), but I have found that my legs/feet also seem to be super picky about shoes. Light-stability (the sadly discontinued Mizuno Wave Elixir, Asics DS Trainer, not sure what else falls in this category - seems to be very few shoes) have given me a good balance between enough support for the shin splint-y left leg but not too much for the ITBS/posterior-shin-splint-prone right leg.

But, y'know, knock on wood and all.. I'm sure now that I've said that some other running-related issue will rear its ugly head in the next week :P

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

There may have been a lot of contributing factors to getting ITBS, and to getting rid of it so I can't pin it all  shoes but I can tell you switching shoes seemed to be a huge help.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

tracilynn

I agree 100% with the bolded statement - I just realized a few days ago that last weekend was me and good ol' shin splints' 1-year anniversary! They haven't been bothering me lately (major knock on wood here), but I have found that my legs/feet also seem to be super picky about shoes. Light-stability (the sadly discontinued Mizuno Wave Elixir, Asics DS Trainer, not sure what else falls in this category - seems to be very few shoes) have given me a good balance between enough support for the shin splint-y left leg but not too much for the ITBS/posterior-shin-splint-prone right leg.

But, y'know, knock on wood and all.. I'm sure now that I've said that some other running-related issue will rear its ugly head in the next week :P

Hmmm this is very helpful. I think my next plan will be to try some light stability.

Or I believe Scotty said I need to try "fat guy " shoes Joking

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

IJBJ and others: thnk I have shared this before, but when I had ITB symptoms I went and got a massage from a sports masseuse guy.  I didn't have ITBS at all, even though that's where the pain was rearing its ugly head.  My problem was that I had a bunch of knots of lactic acid built up in my lower back/upper butt area that were hitting some nerves causing pain to go down my leg.  After a painful massage, my pain was gone and I continued with running.

hog4life

Hmmm this is very helpful. I think my next plan will be to try some light stability.

Or I believe Scotty said I need to try "fat guy " shoes Joking

Brooks Ravenna fits into this catagory.

Dad on the run.

Traci or Hog - Have either of you tried the ON Cloud shoes? The only dealer in Alabama is in huntsville. The idea behind the shoe is interesting if nothing else.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

tracilynn

Jimmy,

Ive never heard of those

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Chilly day was perfect for running, so we just kept going and going and going for 11 miles at 10:40.  Felt good all the way.  Longest run since the May HM.  Must have gotten some inspiration at the Chicago Marathon.  Maybe we can do Nashville after all.

KJ any tips for Nashville?  We want to go to Reiman Country Classics or Walkin Nashville Legends Tour or a Segway tour or the River Boat. Maybe even Nash Trash tour.

hog4life

Jimmy,

Ive never heard of those

+2

obiebyke

Interesting on the cloud shoes! I googled them. If anyone tries them, let me know what they're like.

I got my 5 in today. The weather could not have been more perfect: sunny and 55. All was pretty good for the first couple of miles. In fact, I was going markedly faster than I have been going, and at the same level of easiness. Even faster than Monday, which was faster than usual. Not sure what that's about, since I was just trying to run easy and breathe. I'll take it. But around mile 2, the back of my knee/top of my calf thing tightened up again. It wasn't sharp pain at all, so I forced myself to slow down and ran through it. Afterwards, I could really feel it (in a good way) while doing this stretch:

But not this one: 

No idea. I'll ice it. The new shoes are comfy, but more snug in the toe box than my old ones. If and when I'm training for longer distances, I'll probably look for a pair 1/2 size bigger. But yeah, I like them. Yay!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)