Beginners and Beyond

So I Ran with Dean Karnazes Last Night (Read 114 times)

A local running store chain in metro Atlanta had a group run and meet & greet with Dean Karnazes last night. Yesterday, I worked from home and did my run for the day at lunch time since it had rained off & on in Atlanta.  There was an open window without heavy showers.  So after work, I was debating to drive to the event wearing jeans or running shorts.  At this time, when it rained, it was heavy at times.  Since rain is often hit or miss depending where you are in metro Atlanta, I decided what the heck and threw on some running shorts.

Dean came running to the store from wherever his hotel was located.  After a few minutes reviewing the course of events for the evening, Dean spoke  a few opening remarks. There may have been about 25 to 30 runners of various experience and speed participating in the group run.

The run was about 3 miles to neighborhood turnaround and then back to the store.  After everyone returned from the run, there were several group pictures taken outside with Dean.  Once back in the store, there was a raffle for 3  free entries into a race he was associated with this weekend (the North Face Endurance Challenge) in Pine Mountain, Georgia.

After the raffle, it was time for the meet and greet.  Each runner in line approached Dean.  He personalized a small poster for each runner, and then really chatted with each one regarding whatever topic arose.  Then each runner usually had a camera for a photo opportunity.

During my time time with Dean, I shared how my DW had bought "Run!" as a Father's Day gift for me about two years ago.  Of course, he chuckled when I mentioned she was drawn to his book by not so much the content but his shirtless cover.  When you meet him in person, I was struck by how muscular he was - upper body and legs.  Now, I'm curious how he developed it.

I guess it may be true for all well-known runners, but he was a gracious guy with all the runners there.  Glad I went for the run, and the meet & greet afterwards too.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Ms Chenandler Bong

Glad you had a chance to run with him!  I ran a few miles with him during his run across the USA last summer and found him to be very nice and personable.  And oh my gosh, his calves are like chiseled marble!

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Thanks for sharing. I think Dean has gotten a lot of crap over the years from possibly over-hyping how awesome he is, but he really runs it like a business. I think it's allowed him to do it more full-time than other people of his caliber. I'm glad he's seems like a genuine nice guy.

- Andrew

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Pretty cool!  The guy is definitely an impressive runner, no doubt!  I know he's all about distance but i wonder where his typical speed is.  Race speed.  Training speed.  I'm guessing he was running various speeds while chatting it up w/ everybody.

Congrats!

Randy

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Very cool!

Relentless forward progress

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sweet!

Damaris

Hip Redux

That's cool!

He is a muscley little dude, isn't he!

Ric-G

Agree about the over-hyping thing, but it is a business.  I saw Dean give a luncheon keynote a couple of years ago at a conference I was attending. He came off really great in person and not like a blowhard who had all the answers. He seemed humble and remarked how lucky we are to be able to run at all. It was cool in that I could identify at least somewhat on the running level. It was also interesting to see how people (non-runners) reacted to some of his stories. Most there had never run, let alone run at night or with dogs after you or through illness or through whatever else crap we runners deal with. It was a good time.

Thanks for sharing. I think Dean has gotten a lot of crap over the years from possibly over-hyping how awesome he is, but he really runs it like a business. I think it's allowed him to do it more full-time than other people of his caliber. I'm glad he's seems like a genuine nice guy.

marathon pr - 3:16

SheCan

How super neat!  Great that everyone got photos.  How patient and nice was that!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

delicate flower

That's pretty cool, especially for some random Wednesday night run.

<3

LRB

Nice!

You didn't wash that shirt did you?  I mean, it did touch running royalty.

RSX

That sounds like you had a great day. I saw him speak in Boston a few years ago and thought that he was real interesting.

Love the Half

That is really cool.  My closest brush with "running royalty" came when Bart Yasso gave me a $75 check for 2nd place Masters at the Wrightsville Beach Marathon.  I have never had an opportunity to run with someone like that but I'd be all over it if I did have the chance - rain or no rain.  Sweet.

I also get it about Dean and the hype.  Hey, he's making a living by running.  Can't argue with that.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Who is Dean Karnazes?  I've seen his name but know nothing about him.  (Yes I can google but I have enough distractions in my life)

I am waiting for the opportunity to run with Pam Anderson as she gets ready for her marathon debut...hehe.

Jess runs for bacon

That is really cool.  My closest brush with "running royalty" came when Bart Yasso gave me a $75 check for 2nd place Masters at the Wrightsville Beach Marathon.  I have never had an opportunity to run with someone like that but I'd be all over it if I did have the chance - rain or no rain.  Sweet.

I also get it about Dean and the hype.  Hey, he's making a living by running.  Can't argue with that.

Bart lives by my house, he's an awesome dude. I've (tried) run with him a few times. Dean was at the RW Half last year but I didn't get to talk to him. IIRC he ran the races barefoot. I'd rather have him run with his shirt off.