Beginners and Beyond

I have Another Question or just Curiosity (Read 98 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This one might be the last one............. unless I think of another.

How do you marathoners plan your fueling strategy? Do you kind of base it around the aid stations? Do you pass up the first 2-3 aid stations and then start your hydrating at the 4th one and go from there, switch between water and gatorade (or whatever)?

I am setting up my plan going off of the IMM's aid stations and stuff, they are a little weird after mile 12... but of course this is my first marathon so maybe others are this way. But looking at the course map and stuff, it shouldn't be difficult.

Here's the course map for ideas of what I am dealing with:

http://www.monumentalmarathon.com/courses/IMMfulloverview.pdf

What about you ladies and gentlemen, what has been your strategy of attack when it comes to fueling during a marathon?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

This one might be the last one............. until I think of another.

FYP  Big grin

A wise man once said (I forget who) do not pass a single aid station during a marathon without taking a drink of something under any circumstances, whether you think you need it or not.

Now while what exactly I take (water or Gatorade) may vary, I have followed that rule religiously each of the three times that I have run one.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

FYP  Big grin

A wise man once said (I forget who) do not pass a single aid station during a marathon without taking a drink of something under any circumstances, whether you think you need it or not.

Now while what exactly I take (water or Gatorade) may vary, I have followed that rule religiously each of the three times that I have run one.

Lol, true.

That is definitely my rule, though I honestly don't think I will be ready for any liquid until mile 2 or 3... mile 1 just seems way too soon....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

Every event is different obviously but as far as I can remember in my very limited experience, the first aid station is usually around mile 2.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Every event is different obviously but as far as I can remember in my very limited experience, the first aid station is usually around mile 2.

Yeah, it shows water/medical at mile 1. Too soon for me lol.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You know Andrea is tapering by the 300 threads opened. 

Anyway, I take gels every 4.5-5 miles no matter what.  I take them without water or with water.  If the aid station is not there, I eat it.  Then I drink water when I get to tone.  I do the same in training.  I don't carry water and I stop every 5 miles for water but sometimes there is no water so I have to continue.

Damaris

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

I would not overthink it.

If the stations are every mile, I would usually skip every other one.  I like to time my gel intake to approx. every 5 miles starting from mile 7 or 8 (5 miles is about 38 - 40 minutes at my pace).  Gels need water, so I want to make sure water is available.

Early on in a crowded race, I like to start with a small ditchable handheld bottle which I can use without stopping until crowds thin out, usually by mile 4 or 5.

Everyone's different of course. For me, water every ~2 miles, which is typical aid station spacing. Water & gatorade both at roughly every other stop. Usually mix them to water down the gatorade.

Are you relying on the course for gel too, or bringing your own?

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

D!!

Toronto this is my first full, and I tend to overthink things..... just ask D, Lily, LRB, Dave, LTH, Laruen.... etc.... they'll tell you

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Everyone's different of course. For me, water every ~2 miles, which is typical aid station spacing. Water & gatorade both at roughly every other stop. Usually mix them to water down the gatorade.

Are you relying on the course for gel too, or bringing your own?

Screw them with their nasty cliff shots lol, I'll have 4 Energy Gu's stuffed in the back of my capris.... thank god I won't have anything else in there, but I am still debating on either 4 or just 3.....

And if all goes well and I see DH at mile 20, I will have a 12 oz bottle of grape gatorade from mile 20 to the finish....... I can only take so much of the lemon lime but I don't want to carry a bottle for 26.2 miles 

PRs

I took 4 Gu packets with me on Sunday in a Spibelt. (First time I've used one, and it worked great.) Took 1 every 6 miles, timed shortly before a water stop. Never used more than 2 in a training run. Seemed to be about right, but i can never tell how much of a difference that stuff makes.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, during races, I drink at every water station.  Without fail.  And even then I finish dehydrated.

Damaris

onemile

I take 4 gels in a marathon, about every 5 miles (so that would be at mile 5, 10, 15, and 20). I was looking at the Monumental map today and it looks like it'll be just before mile 5, mile 9.5, mile 14.something etc.  I just pick the closest and that's good enough.

And it works best if you eat the gel before you get to the aid station so you can just focus on getting water when you get there.

I drink water when I take gel and otherwise just if I feel thirsty.  I don't really plan that just go based on how I feel.

I've pretty much taken a page from LTH's book -- BIG carb load the day before, and then try to hit sports drink at every station.  If the first one is a giant cluster, no big deal skipping it, but make use of all the rest.

I'll grab water too on basis of thirst, more often if it's warmer.  I haven't carried my own gels into a race since the first one, but maybe should get back in the habit.  By the time that ONE course gel station rolls around, they are basically worth their weight in gold.  I've stopped to pick up a gel that I fumbled because lacking it would have become a hugely negative mantra for the next several miles.

MI_Tim

I take water immediately at the first aid station, and gels by time.  I try and take one every 30-40 minutes based on which aid station comes around those times.