Beginners and Beyond

The back to school TuesDAILIES can only mean one thing for morning runners (Read 43 times)

DavePNW

Today's run was uneventful though, which was very odd.  It also was dark when I started (6:56) so I will have that to contend with in the coming days and weeks.

Headlamp time, dude!

Dave

LRB

Headlamp time, dude!

I just use the neon spur light around my heel and it's plenty.  I actually love that thing!

DavePNW

I just use the neon spur light around my heel and it's plenty.  I actually love that thing!

I don't know what that is.

Dave

LRB

I don't know what that is.

Yeah you do, you just dismissed it as unworthy. lol

SIAR posted a link in the dailies last fall and we discussed it.  I'll post it later.

DavePNW

Yeah you do, you just dismissed it as unworthy. lol

SIAR posted a link in the dailies last fall and we discussed it.  I'll post it later.

Upon further inspection, my computer appears to have the Google. Is it the Nathan LightSpur? If so, I don't remember ever talking about it, but I believe you. I killed a lot of brain cells in my younger days.

In any case I will still dismiss it. Looks like this is mainly for being seen, but my bigger concern is seeing the ground in front of me.

And JHFC, when was the last time SIAR posted anything here?

Dave

LRB

Upon further inspection, my computer appears to have the Google. Is it the Nathan LightSpur? If so, I don't remember ever talking about it, but I believe you. I killed a lot of brain cells in my younger days.

In any case I will still dismiss it. Looks like this is mainly for being seen, but my bigger concern is seeing the ground in front of me.

And JHFC, when was the last time SIAR posted anything here?

Yes, you dismissed it then too.  lol

Being seen is more important to me as I seem to have no problem navigating my way through the dark.

I last communicated with him a few months ago, he just did not have the time it takes to play with us which can be taxing.  Big grin

DavePNW

Yes, you dismissed it then too.  lol

Being seen is more important to me as I seem to have no problem navigating my way through the dark.

I last communicated with him a few months ago, he just did not have the time it takes to play with us which can be taxing.  Big grin

I don't blame SIAR. I get annoyed just reading my own posts sometimes.

Incidentally: the other day it was pitch black in front of me, but approaching I saw another runner's headlamp. It was all I could see, a disembodied headlamp coming at me. And right next to it, but about a foot off the ground, was a pair of small lights - a dog's eyes reflecting off my headlamp. Also kind of freaky - I could see nothing but that dog's eyeballs.

Dave

LRB

I get annoyed just reading my own posts sometimes.

Okay that made me laugh out loud.

I might get another spur for my wrist for those walking or running towards me as I seem to scare the living shit out of people. During my run Saturday a guy I was approaching from his rear literally took off running to the side when he finally realized I was there.  Like dude, seriously?  Did you just have a flippin' flashback to Vietnam or something? 

DavePNW

I might get another spur for my wrist for those walking or running towards me as I seem to scare the living shit out of people. During my run Saturday a guy I was approaching from his rear literally took off running to the side when he finally realized I was there.  Like dude, seriously?  Did you just have a flippin' flashback to Vietnam or something? 

It's amazing how panicked people can get when you come up on them by surprise. Maybe if their headphones were not cranked up so loud so they could hear me yelling at them as I approach.

Dave

LRB

It's amazing how panicked people can get when you come up on them by surprise. Maybe if their headphones were not cranked up so loud so they could hear me yelling at them as I approach.

Right?  I'm coughing, I'm dragging my feet, I'm saying on your left then finally when I have had enough I run off the sidewalk to run in the grass you leap to the sky!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This happens to me all the time.  I say excuse me, cough really loud, then when I finally pass them, they jumped in fear.  And I am the only one wearing headphones so who is more distracted again???

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No first day here. The kids around here started back a few weeks ago. Like mid August!

Anyways, 10.5 miles done for me. Pilates later

Same here...the kids around here started back the 3rd week of August.   Of course, they also get out of school in late May.  And usually don't have to make up any days....it's not like we get a lot of snow days in San Antonio, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Luckily I am normally done before 6, but my main danger are the school buses. I live near an elementary and run past it during most of my runs.

I got 5.3 miles in this morning, it was supposed to be 5 miles but I finished 5 with about .4 left and wasn't about to enjoy a cool down walk after looking up at this scary storm front. Of course there was lightning all around me but seemed like they were far away.

Nice legs Dtothe2nd! Need a close up though 

Yeah, FreeSoul...watch out for those school buses...especially if you are an idiot like me, lol.   Really embarrassing.. about 4 years or so ago, .I was out running early one morning in my neighborhood and a bus - one of those 'smaller version' buses, that are lower and shorter than a regular school bus and the bottom sits closer to the ground - and me and the bus were the the only things on the street at the time.  The bus was idling on the right side of the street.  So I'm running down the street and pass it on the driver's side....and I guess some kids came to get on or something, because right when I was near the driver's window, he pulled that 'crank'-thingy that opens the door for the kids...and that "STOP" sign-thingy came swinging out...and it was just high enough - or maybe low enough, I guess - so I ran my face right smack into it..      No harm done, but naturally the kids already on the bus thought it was hilarious....    The driver was trying to ask if I was okay...but he was laughing pretty hard too, as he was trying to get the words out....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, FreeSoul...watch out for those school buses...especially if you are an idiot like me, lol.   Really embarrassing.. about 4 years or so ago, .I was out running early one morning in my neighborhood and a bus - one of those 'smaller version' buses, that are lower and shorter than a regular school bus and the bottom sits closer to the ground - and me and the bus were the the only things on the street at the time.  The bus was idling on the right side of the street.  So I'm running down the street and pass it on the driver's side....and I guess some kids came to get on or something, because right when I was near the driver's window, he pulled that 'crank'-thingy that opens the door for the kids...and that "STOP" sign-thingy came swinging out...and it was just high enough - or maybe low enough, I guess - so I ran my face right smack into it..      No harm done, but naturally the kids already on the bus thought it was hilarious....    The driver was trying to ask if I was okay...but he was laughing pretty hard too, as he was trying to get the words out....

LMAO! Omg that's not funny, but it is hilarious, how the hell did you end up that close to the bus - and on it's driver's side? Was the road really narrow? Or were you facing the bus and running towards it?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

StepbyStep-SH

Scotty, is there much of anything you HAVEN'T run into while running? I know the list includes the backside of a police horse, deer, a river, and now a school bus ... Of course you survived cancer, if the rest of this stuff can't kill you, there's now way that could. Love ya, man, love ya.

Early run for me (started at 4:40; 5.45 miles), so I could get back to get myself ready, make a special "first-day-of-school" breakfast for DS, and then manage his anxiety and routine to get him out the door. It actually went very smoothly, and since the first day doesn't include homework beyond 20 minutes of reading, we're golden.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.