Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #14 (Read 32 times)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Where is everyone?

Ran 4.25 easy ones. Did some leg strength and upper body stuff after.

Everyone at work is tired from staying up to watch the game. I forgot to start watching and decided there was no point when I looked just before half time realizing the the second half wouldn't start for another half hour.  Went to bed instead which helped this morning!  That said, my llegs were pretty much toast so ran real easy and did some light leg strength stuff.

Happy #14!

Cyberic

Let's keep yours. I'll invalidate mine. We started them at the same minute, but I think you beat me to it.

Run commute day. Still on Advil/Tylenol for the mouth... -sigh- Not that it's bad, I just hate to be on meds.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! WFH today (and every Tuesday from now unless I have court). I have 8 with hill sprints tonight.

Damaris

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

We started them at the same minute, but I think you beat me to it.

Time stamp is identical. Your thread is way more entertaining!

Meds suck, but they make sense in your current situation

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think someone had asked this question before but since I had ZERO hills in Miami, I never paid attention:

I have 8 with hill sprints. They are of 30 seconds but not sure the steepest hill I have is that long. Should I choose a longer but less steeper one?

Damaris

LRB

I think someone had asked this question before but since I had ZERO hills in Miami, I never paid attention:

I have 8 with hill sprints. They are of 30 seconds but not sure the steepest hill I have is that long. Should I choose a longer but less steeper one?

The hill I do my sprints on is longer than what it takes to complete the rep. I run between fixed points of .09 in roughly 40 seconds, so less than 150 meters. 100 meters would take me around  30 seconds so what you need is not very long at all.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, it takes me slightly more than 30 seconds to complete 100m and my hills are 6 X 30sec. I think I found the perfect one (the one I find the steepest but shortest hill here). It's only 5% but that's the hilliest I can access at night. There are other steeper ones nearby but outside of the subdivision so only for weekends.

So excited to try them! Never done hill sprints outside of the TM.

I noticed a huge difference during Disney with my workouts now on hilly Fishers. I ran the steepest Disney hill (steepest than the one I'll be using today) and the HR didn't even rise much and I felt great running those uphills.

Damaris

DavePNW

Hmm. I think I would err on the side of getting in the time/distance per rep, so use the less steep hill. But WTF do I know. Despite living in a place with a lot of hills, I have rarely done them.

Dave

DavePNW

It’s 25 degrees out! That’s pretty cold around these parts.

Dave

DavePNW

Well fuck. I just tweaked my back. Usually this does not interfere with running too much, just with walking around and doing everything else.

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Well fuck. I just tweaked my back. Usually this does not interfere with running too much, just with walking around and doing everything else.

maybe your back doesn't like the 25 degree weather

sdWhiskers

Hill sprints: you can change a lot of parameters to make them harder/easier. Hill steepness, time between reps, effort/pace...if you pick a longer but less steep hill, run harder

3.4 miles. Following Daniels' 5k plan and he has 8-10 strides included for several runs each week which seems silly.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hill sprints: you can change a lot of parameters to make them harder/easier. Hill steepness, time between reps, effort/pace...if you pick a longer but less steep hill, run harder

Sounds reasonable.

Dave, yeah, that's what I've been wondering. But I think I found the right one (subject to checking during my first set to see if it works). The other option is 0.25 miles away so easily accessible if this one does not work. I also have another longer one right across the street from this one (outside the subdivision) but in the dark (no lights but mine).

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Sounds reasonable.

Dave, yeah, that's what I've been wondering. But I think I found the right one (subject to checking during my first set to see if it works). The other option is 0.25 miles away so easily accessible if this one does not work. I also have another longer one right across the street from this one (outside the subdivision) but in the dark (no lights but mine).

I usually end up using a hill that is ~1 mile long. So I sprint, walk, sprint, walk...and just keep going up as much as I need.

DavePNW

3.4 miles. Following Daniels' 5k plan and he has 8-10 strides included for several runs each week which seems silly.

I’m no expert but I imagine for 5k training you want to work on your leg turnover as much as possible. And strides at the end of a run don’t take much out of you - you can’t do VO2max intervals several times a week.

Dave