Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILY Penguins - Reality Check! (Read 31 times)

From the Internet.

Man, everyone needs new shoes! I'm in the middle of a shoe crisis. My Elixirs are nearing the end of their useful life - not all that many miles on them, but they've been my primary shoe since March or April and I've noticed that lately my legs have been feeling more beat up than they should after easy runs.

I have a pair of Enigmas that I use for walking around - they're OK for my short jaunts on the treadmill but not more than that. Inspires are too much support for me, they kill my non-overpronating right leg if I run in them or if I wear them all day (like I did Saturday - big mistake). I'm starting to look outside of Mizuno now and feeling quite overwhelmed D:

Bin Running

Lauren, I'm wearing elixir too. And inspires and nirvana. Asics ds trainer serve me well too. Maybe worth a look.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

PAD: The uglier the better!

Awood: Taper wisely, my friend. It sounds like you want to do more than Daniels says. Tapering is tough and there is a reason you have extra energy and want to run more. SAVE it for race day!

SRD for me today, but I may go out and do two very easy miles. I am still over the moon about that run I had yesterday. Good stuff.

Hi everyone else and have a good day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, Penguins!!  I had my nice, chillin' weekend with DH, and we did indeed get our beans and peas staked.  It's supposed to pour today and then get cooler, so that'll be nice.  I have a doctor's appt tomorrow, I'm hoping to get another run of anti-inflammatories for my knees.  I think that if I can, between that and continuing my squats and clamshells and stretching, I should be able to get back out on the road.  I also have a dentist appointment and quartet practice tomorrow, so it should be an interesting day!

Awood -- sounds like reality is definitely setting in!!

Jerryb -- have a good workout this evening!!

kristin -- hope you stop being REALLY SICK soon!!

jblack -- have fun at the appt!!

Lauren -- sounds like a good race!!

Bin -- hope you're not getting sick, it was a long time getting over things last time!!

PAD -- this is one good thing about VFF's, you can just keep running until you wear holes in them!

hog -- good luck with night shift!!

Zelanie -- have a good 6 later!!

Jack -- have a good day, whichever you decide!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  SRD.

I feel run down.  Hope I am not getting sick since my race is in 6 days.

Damaris

tracilynn

hey pengs

No run this morn. woke up with a sore throat and still lots of coughing. Cool front came in and was 50 this morning!  What a waste of 50 degrees!  Good thing it will be cool all week If I can get better and my shin splint behaves.

picking up the kitty my husband and 4 yr old found on the train tracks. He's been at vet for 5 days to get rid of int. parasites. Dead

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Traci - Pictures when kitty comes home pls!!! Big grin It has always been my dream to find a kitten and give it a home, haha Smile

Bin - I was thinking about the DS Trainers.. they're on sale at Running Warehouse and I still have credit to use up!

Now I'm feeling even more conflicted D: I stopped by City Sports to try on the DS Trainer and Noosa, but they had neither of those. I told the guy that I run in Elixirs right now and need that little bit of support, have tried the Sayonara but it felt too narrow in my usual size and I think if I sized up I'd have way too much space at the toe. I ended up trying on Brooks PureConnect and Altra Intuition just for shits and giggles and the Altra was actually crazy comfortable - fit like it was made for my foot, jogged up and down the length of the store a few times and it was like running on a cloud.

Problem: it's a zero-drop shoe (did not realize this until I looked at the box - yes I'm an idiot), so I'm sure I'd have to do some kind of transition (which I'd do with any shoe since my Elixirs aren't totally dead yet), and poking around it's apparently very much a neutral shoe, so I don't know if it would work long-term for my stupid left leg.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Kitty pics!

Damaris

SheCan

Morning friends!

Awood-- you're almost there, and it sounds like you're in a really good place.  Just enjoy your taper.  We've watched you train.  I have no doubts about it, if you really let yourself recuperate during this taper, you''ll do absolutely fantastic at your race.  I'm way excited for you.

Hi Jerry!

Kristin sorry you're feeling so poorly.  Get well soon.

Lauren-- great job on the 5k!  That's a good time, especially as you didn't go all out.  Good for you for volunteering!

Jimmy-- awesome job on the miles yesterday.

Bin-- Sad  Can't believe the cough is back!  Please take care of yourself and get well soon.

PAD- good job on the tempo run!

Mitch-- good job on the miles, but yuck at a dentist appt.  I guess its one of those things we have to do to stay healthy.

Zelanie-- HI HI!!!

Jack-- Love those over the moon feelings on a run!   If you go out for a jog today, take it easy though.

HsM-- Well, lets hope you can get something for the knee.  I'm sure you're itching to get back on the road.

Docket-- I hope its just your taper getting to you.  You're not allowed to be sick right now.

Tracilynn-- ugh another sick penguin!   Geez!  LOL get well, chick.  And I'm with Docket: we need kitty pictures!

Did 7 miles this morning.  I need to eat my oats and get on with my day!  Take care everyone!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Lauren - I don't see anything wrong with trying to transition to a zero drop shoe.  Just keep a close eye on your achilles, and your calf muscles.  I have one pair of 8mm drop, which is less than my other shoes.  I really liked them, but I did tend to use them on shorter runs.  When I wore them on longer runs, my calves would start yelling at me.  If I didn't listen, my achilles would start yelling at me.

Jack - I'm definitely going to reducing mileage.  I just might throw in a 30 minute stroll on the treadmill at an easy pace.  I like how you transitioned from your comment about my training to taking a short run on your rest day...lol  Seems like you know what I'm talking about.  Haha.

HsM - I hope you're right about possible getting back out on the road.  I'm sure the strengthening will help.  With all of the other things you have going on, I bet getting out on the road would be a nice way to relax a bit.

Docket - As much as you put into training, I hope you aren't getting sick.  That would be the bummer of all bummers.  Take care of yourself, and make it through race day healthy.

traci - With everybody getting sick, I'm starting to worry that it's a "computer" virus.  Sheesh.  I hope you get through it quicker than me.  I'm ALMOST back to 100%.

She Can - Nice job on the 7!  As usual, you're probably right about the taper.  I don't know if this is technically considered taper yet or not.  Mileage is at about 70%, but Daniels does that during the other phases as well.  I guess since my long run is 19 miles this weekend with 15 at marathon pace, I will consider next week the official first week of taper....lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: ah, but I am not tapering. If I do add that sixth day of running it will only be two miles at not much faster than a snail's pace.

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM - I hope you're right about possible getting back out on the road.  I'm sure the strengthening will help.  With all of the other things you have going on, I bet getting out on the road would be a nice way to relax a bit.

A bubble bath is a nice way to relax a bit.  Though a run would be good, too, in a different way!  Wink

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2.3 @ MP Joking

tracilynn

Pics of

the kitty on my Facebook. I dont know how

to post iPhone pics here.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: use tinypic.com