Beginners and Beyond

Sly Saturday Penguins (Read 30 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) ShyShyShy

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' everyone!  Best of luck to anyone/everyone racing.

I have 10 miles on the schedule today.  I debated last night if I should get up early or just run after work.  I'm kicking myself for not getting up early.  Supposed to get up to 89 here.  Hmmm... I will get out for a run but I am going to really play it by ear.

Have a rockin' day!

Good morning friends

I am vacationing in North  Carolina, so my posting has been limited. Busy and not so good cell service. DS and I ran a 5k the other day. He was 1st in his AG. 38:20. I guess it's good for a 6 yr old.

I am supposed to go for a run on the beach later, that's going to be interesting.

Make today great.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning N-Bug!

I'm just about to head out the door for 12, and then I have to get ready for my big cookout.  I'm firing up two grills for bbq and grilling.  I'm starting the ribs early today, and then I've got burgers, sausages, walleye and steaks for later.  I'm hoping my toe doesn't give me too many problems today.  The toe right next to my pinky toe has been sore.  I don't know if I kicked something, or what happened.  I think it's my old Saucony's.  I've had this issue before when I used to wear them more often.  I wore them when I went for a run/walk with the C25K group, and go figure...my toe hurts again.  I'll quit wearing them again, and if my toe starts feeling better I think I will have figured out the culprit.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

T-Rod - You sneaky mofo.  Enjoy your vacation.  Try to keep your breakfast down today Dead

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

T-Rod - You sneaky mofo.  Enjoy your vacation.  Try to keep your breakfast down today Dead

As long as I am not on a boat I will be ok. I wish I had pics of the sharks we caught. nothing big, but the 6 yr old thought it was awesome.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  7 miles tonight and more with hubby.  I have not slept due to bad allergies, so before all that, I need a nap.

Van, enjoy the 10 miles.

Tomas, congrats to DS!  Enjoy your vacation.

Awood, enjoy the 12 and the cookout.

Have a great day!

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

8 mile LR done. I started before 7:00am and it was already 78 degrees and humidity 77%.... GAH! Heat advisory says avoid strenuous outdoor activities. Like....running 8 miles? oops....  I wanted to try to keep it under 13:00 minute miles if I could..... ended up with 12:56 average. It is amazing how much slower my easy pace is in heat and humidity. I wonder if I will ever adjust?

Funny story from my run..... so I was running on my favorite jogging path along the water. It goes underneath the Verrazano Bridge. Between the path and the water there is a 3' high metal railing, and over the railing there is like a 3' concrete dropoff and then very spiky rocks. Well this morning, right by the bridge, 2 men about 80 years old jumped the rail. climbed down onto the rocks, stripped naked, and jumped in the water to go swimming!!! I guess you only live once right??

Boyfriend and his doggie are on their way up from Maryland, and we are going to a BBQ just outside the city at his friends' house that he and his wife just bought. Have a great Saturday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

From the Internet.

Morning pens! 3.22 miles for me in just under 32 minutes, bringing me to 11.12 miles for the week! I went out to a nearby running/walking path because I'm just so damn sick of the track and it was glorious. Was tempted to totally cut out the walk breaks after doing so well on Thursday, but I compromised and paused to stretch and walk a few seconds whenever my Garmin beeped to let me know it had been a mile. Forgot sunscreen so now I have a sweet watch tan.

Relaxing in my bathrobe with coffee and a stack of pancakes now, heading to my parents' house for a cookout later with DH and DD. Have a lovely weekend! Big grin

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Damaris - do you have gluten or bee allergies also?  My eldest DD has had asthma issues but also has significant issues with gluten and her mom has bee allergies.  Just curious

Kristin - WOW!  That's an eyefull!  Also, you temp/humidity is why I try not to complain.

Question for everyone:  Anyone have issues with their piriformis?  I've having some issues sitting but it loosens up and not discomfort at all after I start walking/running.

From the Internet.

Question for everyone:  Anyone have issues with their piriformis?  I've having some issues sitting but it loosens up and not discomfort at all after I start walking/running.

Not big issues but it does get a little tight sometimes, for me seems to be worse after weightlifting than running. Try to foam roll or use a lacrosse ball to loosen it up?

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - Similar conditions here.  I knew it was going to be rough weather when I left the house.  So, I was prepared for it at least.  I think I did pretty well given the circumstances.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

From the Internet.

8 mile LR done. I started before 7:00am and it was already 78 degrees and humidity 77%.... GAH! Heat advisory says avoid strenuous outdoor activities. Like....running 8 miles? oops....  I wanted to try to keep it under 13:00 minute miles if I could..... ended up with 12:56 average. It is amazing how much slower my easy pace is in heat and humidity. I wonder if I will ever adjust?

I was drenched at the end of 3 miles, good job getting 8 done! I think we had similar temp/humidity up here but I didn't look before I left the house because I just didn't want to know D: Up to 88 actual/feels like 94 now.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am allergic to a couple of things but mostly to dustmites and the allergy is lethal.  So maybe there was too much dust in our bedroom last night?  Not sure what happened.

I used to have issues with my piriformis.  Piriformis is not an issue in and of itself; it's caused by another area being out of whack.  So, you need to find what area is bothering you that is causing your piriformis to hurt.  Mine is the psoas and the lower back having a vertebrae out of place.

Damaris - do you have gluten or bee allergies also?  My eldest DD has had asthma issues but also has significant issues with gluten and her mom has bee allergies.  Just curious

Kristin - WOW!  That's an eyefull!  Also, you temp/humidity is why I try not to complain.

Damaris

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

...the lower back having a vertebrae out of place.

Hmmm... it's been awhile since I've been adjusted.  Good looking out.