Beginners and Beyond

Sleepy SunDAILIES :) (Read 42 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Wake up people, it's beautiful outside, go run!

5 recovery miles done this morning, time for coffee!

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

What's up G!  You know me, been up since 5:00.  lol

i am heading out right now to the trail for around 8ish.  I am keeping it light today because the next 7 days of running will be...um, fun?

LRB

Well done LRB - those numbers are right around where I have the same workouts.

I have been searching high and low since your post yesterday but cannot  for the life of me find the sticky note that has my splits on it from the first couple of times I did that workout, damn.

It was a Tuesday in July of 2012 (Tuesday, sound familiar?) and MJ5 was actually the person who first suggested I try 5 X 1000's, so I did.  And no different than now I went out there and thoroughly got my head and ass kicked.  lol

My splits were all over the place and in the neighborhood of 4:31, 4:37, 4:53, 5:03 and 4:38 or something pretty close to that (paces of 7:15 - 8:07).  At the time I didn't know what the paces were and had no idea what any of it meant, I just knew the shit hurt.  lol

That following weekend though I ran a 21:36 in a 5k finally beating my then 13 month old PR of 21:42, and was completely intrigued by the concept of speed work.  Now two years later I am running the same workout in the 3:40 range (sub-6:00) with only a second or two difference in my splits.

My point in all of that is just like anything else in life faster race times are earned through hard work, they are not just handed to you.  Those splits prove that I was no different than anyone else but I made a commitment and put in the time and now dozens and dozens of workouts later I am a completely different runner.

I want to find and keep that sticky note though because I never want to forget the runner that I once was, absolutely clueless about training for speed but hungry and driven.

My final story is yet to be written obviously but to the point where I am now it is proof that anyone can become a better runner, you just have to work really, really hard at it.  Some more than others but you know what?  That is okay because fast, medium or slow, we are all an experiment of one.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Good post LRB. Times are definitely earned!

An Easy 3 for me in the books. I beat my last week's mileage by 0.1! Wow, I didn't try to cut it that close, but I wanted to keep building. Yeah, the next week being an All-Star week is going to hurt.

- Andrew

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Good morning, all you speedy dailies!

SRD for me. Going to Lowe's or Home Depot to pick up some shrubs for the front of the house. I tore out some dead/overgrown stuff last week, enlarged the bed, rototilled it, and put a stone border on it so it's ready for plants and mulch.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Nice post LRB.

Damn skippy : experiment of one.

V-dot test for me today. Should be a blast.  Wink

happylily

Great, great post, Rick. You are proof of everything that your post is about.

I woke up too late for my 18 miler. My guests are arriving at 11 a.m. for brunch, and an afternoon of chit-chating on the terrace while I'm googoo-gagaing over my cutiepie Esmée.  Unfortunately, I'll have to excuse myself around 5 p.m. to go run 2 hours and change in the garage. But they know the nut that I am by now, so no one will raise an eyebrow, I'm sure. 

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Oh and... my legs are sore this morning. More than after a marathon. So to hell with those 5ks and 10ks. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

LRB I can't quote on my tablet but I ditto your last paragraph. Of course I am nowhere close to being what most

would call fast but in 2009 after 9 years of running and 15 or so halfs I decided I wanted to do better than my

slowish 2:15 half race times. Since then I have worked my butt off and 2:00 is now my average half time. Not a

huge difference but given that I am running them at age 52 I am happy.  In the process I have also lowered all my

PRs each year since then.

Overall going from 2009 (age 48)  to 2013/2014

5 k   29:07 - 25:27

5 miler - 51:44 - 42:21

10 k - 58:49 - 51:36

1/2 - 2:15:43 - 1:57:44

26.2 - 4:39 - 4:10 (first full was 2010 4:39)

I really never thought that I could reach the  times I have so I think it shows that for us late coming

Recreational runners no matter how long you have been running or how old you are there are

Improvements that can come from hard work. I just took a huge chunk of my 10k so hopefully more

PRs will come this year.

Anyway tired after yesterdays brick of 47.5 bike/4 km run so the 6 miler I am heading out for should be super slow. Smile

Hip Redux

Guten morgen!

Slept in while Mr. O got up early to go meet a crew of crazy bike riders for a 100 miles.  Maybe he'll smarten up and do the 75 mile loop Baboon is planning for.   I'll be heading out that way to see them finish in about an hour, first is coffee, hash browns, sausage, and fried eggs!

I was going to get my PT done before I left but my hip is bothering me, so I'm going to eat, take my meds and see how I feel.

Morning people. D2 - that's what I was doing!

9 miles total: 3 warmup, 4 at tempo (originally planned 3 but decided to add 1), 2 cooldown. For tempo paces I was shooting for 7:30's; ended up with 7:51 (not really that slow but somehow missed my watch beeping & started speeding up 0.1 miles in), 7:34, 7:38, decided to hammer the last one & ended up 7:00 flat.

60.4 total for the week. Higher than it's been lately, due to my first ever week running 7 days (thanks to that stupid race on Monday my usual RD).

Have a great day everyone.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I've been running since 5:30am and still it was 85F and 72DP.  18 miles done.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damn, Z, that cake you posted last night looks good!

Damaris

LRB

Decided to run short and did 6 instead.  Nice run, it's getting warm here.

B-Plus

Me too.