Beginners and Beyond

So mystery! (A RR of sorts...) (Read 92 times)

1) Injure yourself enough to limp around in a cantankerous state of hatred for everything.  (Taper madness ain't got nothin' on this.)

2) Turn in a week of 12.7 miles run while riding the recumbent bike to escape the Blerch.  Inexplicably feel a major reduction in pain after hitting the bike.  Clearly, keep biking.

3) Go run a 5K in a time you'd be OK with while fully well and trained, and finish 3rd?!?

West Seneca Community Days 5K, tagline "together WE can make a difference", the W and E standing for West and East, the rival town high schools.  RD'd by a guy who grew up 2 houses down from me.  His son finished 2nd.  The green and gold '94 XC tye-dye I changed into after the race to rep for East?  Older than that kid, lol.  AG medal was a spinner with the rival logos on opposing sides.

Being able to race is not something I'll take for granted any time soon.  Bonus for being able to run on a beautiful summer evening in the town I grew up in.   And then the drive home, with the shadowy hills looming up out of the quarter-to-ten residual light that was reluctant to leave the sky.  To be able to do something you love, surrounded by good people, on a day like this - is truly priceless.

Zelanie

Sounds like you just actually tapered for a 5K. Wink

Congrats on 3rd place, and I'm glad it sounds like you're starting to feel better,

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great stuff, Jay. I assume you are on the mend?

delicate flower

Good stuff, Jay!  How's the ol' derriere?  I don't normally ask that to other dudes...

<3

happylily

You're not injured, you're simply on your way to 40. Welcome to my world of pain.  Seriously, I hope it was nothing and that it's gone for good.

I love that you mention that your tye-dye was older than the 2nd place kid. :-) And I love your conclusion. As always, your reflections on your races help me in my own process of reflection. Thanks for sharing this and congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

You're not injured, you're simply on your way to 40. Welcome to my world of pain. 

Ain't it the truth.  I finally told my personal trainer to stop asking me if I have any pain expecting me to say no because something is always hurting.  lol

PADRunner

Ain't it the truth.  I finally told my personal trainer to stop asking me if I have any pain expecting me to say no because something is always hurting.  lol

+1

Mmmmm...beer

Nice work Jay!  Hope you're 100% soon.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job.  Hope the pain goes away.  And keep biking in the meantime.

Damaris

Nice work.

Sometimes we just need to let the body have a little rest now and again....I know mine appreciates it. I loved this by the way:

To be able to do something you love, surrounded by good people, on a day like this - is truly priceless.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

You're not injured, you're simply on your way to 40. Welcome to my world of pain.  Seriously, I hope it was nothing and that it's gone for good.

I love that you mention that your tye-dye was older than the 2nd place kid. :-) And I love your conclusion. As always, your reflections on your races help me in my own process of reflection. Thanks for sharing this and congratulations!

Hah!

Yup.  Congrats Jay, the body is a strange beast and sometimes race day magic really does force everything to get with the program.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Sounds like a fun time Jay. I don't get the opportunity to race in my home town. I did a 5k there once for a high school reunion when I was just starting to run. I didn't even break 30 minutes. I've been waiting to go back ever since because I think I'd run well. Smile

- Andrew

Love the Half

There is a reason elites will take a month or so of extremely reduced training load.  They know that they need to let their bodies heal from all the stress they've been placing on them.  We hobby joggers tend to be afraid to do that as we think we'll lose fitness.  Then, when we are forced to do so, we are surprised that we feel better.  Hmmmmm.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

SheCan

Sounds like you just actually tapered for a 5K. Wink

+1

Great job, Jay!  You speedy devil you!  Congratulations on 3rd OA!  That's awesome, and even better that you had such a wonderful experience doing so.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ya, when they say "pain cave" after 40, it's usually related to rolling out of bed in the morning.   

Randy