Beginners and Beyond

Anything special for Saturday, Penguins? (Read 25 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Morning everyone.   I'm up.  Waiting for my coffee.  My bagel is almost gone.  I'm ready.  It's going to be a chilly start.  34 degrees presently.  I've decided to go with two layers.  The first buses for the starting line leaves in 6 minutes!  The race doesn't start until 7:30.  It's going to be a great day!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Good luck Vance!  I'm up and getting ready for my race too.  We have somehow been blessed with perfect race weather.  It's 46 right now and should be around 51 for the start of the race at 8.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good luck guys!

Have you ever had a weekend where you wish people would just quit inviting you to stuff?  I'm having one of those.  I've had a crazy month, and I want to spend this day working in my yard and relaxing.  I have a baby shower that I committed to over a month ago.  I'm going to that, and that's it.  After that, I'm done.  I have a garden that needs plants, a yard that needs attention, and a sink full of dishes that HAVE to be cleaned.  I'm going to have to turn my phone off.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Vance and Dave, have a good race. Go kill that PR.

Awood, you can't help it if you are popular. Hope you find some time for yourself.

6M at easy pace done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Had a 5K scheduled for this morning.  Postponed to a later date..the rain in San Antonio is coming down at a rate of 3 inches per hour!  It's been raining since 4 a.m. this morning  and it's still coming down and the park where the race was to be held is quite flooded now.  Just about every road in San Antonio is flooded.   We really needed some rain, but this is a bit of overkill.  So a good day to just sit home and be safe.   I still may get a 5K in though, because I had two scheduled for today.  My next  one is at 8:30 tonight, the Get Up and Glow 5K, held at Retama Park, the local horse-racing park of San Antonio.  A night-time race with 'glow stick stations' along the way.  Hopefully things will dry out enough over the day so this event can be held.

Good luck with your races, Dave and Vance!

Awood, they're inviting you because they really just want your lovely lady there.  You're the +1 in the invitation. Wink

Congrats on your miles done, Bin!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Stopped at 14.11 when the heat index got to 88F and 70 dewpoint and it was not even 9am.  Good strong LR.  More later.

Damaris

Zelanie

Morning!  Got my 2 mile run and a 7 mile hike in yesterday, so feeling pretty good about that.  I could feel the knee a bit on the hike, though, so today is a RD.

Good luck to Vance and D2!

Awood- Hope you are able to get a good weekend around the house in!

Bin- Nice job on the taper!

Scotty- 3 inches per hour? Shocked  Hope everyone is OK!  Good luck on your evening race.

D- Hooray for a good LR!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy Memorial Day weekend.  Either short run or RD after 8 "fast" miles yesterday.  Need a LR before HM #2, next weekend, if we go.  Its close to home and we can register late.  Heat is on the way.

Good luck Memorial Day racers!   Hope you get tonight's 5k in Scott.

SheCan

Mornining everyone!

Vance and Dave, good luck and have fun at your races!  Hope you meet your goals.

Awood-- I agree with Bin, you're just a popular person.  Heck if you were closer, i'd probably be inviting you & Pew to hang out with me too!

Scotty-- enjoy the rain.  It seems rather fortunate that the race was canceled with you not feeling your best.  Hope if you do get some miles in that they don't hurt.

Morning!  Stopped at 14.11 when the heat index got to 88F and 70 dewpoint and it was not even 9am.  Good strong LR.  More later.

Docket- Holy smokes, after 14 miles that really had to have been feeling miserable.

Jerry-- great job on the 8 fast miles yesterday.  And yup, heat is coming, for sures.

I'm just got in 9 slow miles.  Considering going to see Iron Man 3 or Oblivion later this afternoon.   But after seeing Jack Reacher (bad!) last night,  I'm not sure I can handle another Tom Cruse movie.  Robert Downey Jr is looking better and better!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Sloooow.

Gonna go backwards Smile

Cherie- We saw Oblivion for my birthday, it is a stunning movie. It has a pretty good storyline,, but visually it's astonishing. Iron Man 3, is amazing. It's not often that I would go back to the cinema to rewatch a movie, but I would go back for that! Just depends what you are in the mood for.

Jerry- Enjoy your day, whatever you decide to do.

Zelanie- Enjoy your rest day!

Docket- You constantly continue to amaze me, I couldn't do what you do. Very solid LR!

Scotty- Weren't you just saying the other day about how little rain you had? Rain Gods heard you! Sorry about the cancelled 5K, fingers crossed the one for tonight stays on. My first race they did a "Gleaux Run", it was pretty cool!

Bin- Nice work on the 6!

Awood- I have no friends, so I don't have that problem Smile I do have some weeks when things seem to pile up though. I hope you manage to work through your huge chore list. I thought in general, guys didn't go to baby showers?

Dave & N-Bug- I'm sure you are both done with your races now, can't wait to hear how they went!

RD or another short running attempt for me today, not sure yet. I do need to go to stinking Walmart to do a weekly shop though, urgh.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good luck racers!

hi everyone. I am on the phone with little time. DW and I are going for an easy three. I am playing drums at some show today so that will be fun and a BBQ tonight at some friends' house. The kids can swim while we "carb load" for the 10k on Monday. I ended my ten day streak yesterday because my legs are tired and full of knots. It is time for a massage!

Enjoy the weekend. Smile

SheCan

Cherie- We saw Oblivion for my birthday, it is a stunning movie. It has a pretty good storyline,, but visually it's astonishing. Iron Man 3, is amazing. It's not often that I would go back to the cinema to rewatch a movie, but I would go back for that! Just depends what you are in the mood for.

Thanks for the input, Coralie!  I hate when all the good movies come out together.  Although Oblivion looks fantastic, we decided we're going for Iron Man 3, simply because we are no longer in the mood for Tom Cruse.

Jack-- great job on your 10 day streak!  Now rest up for your race on Monday.  Enjoy doing the show and BBQ today!.  You should youtube yourself some day on drums--- in the headband of course.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I loved Oblivion as well.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Vance and Dave - I hope your races went well.  As you said, you got good weather for it.

Scotty - looks like you got your year's worth of rain in one day.  Unfortunately, it doesn't usually do much good that way, except to the folks downriver.  I hope you get to do your night race today.  That sounds like fun.

Awood - turning off the phone is a good idea.  Enjoy the gardening.  I think you need some quiet time after all the activity of the past month.

Bin - hope you enjoyed the 6 miles - indoors or out?

Damaris - Good job getting in the 14 before it got REALLY hot.

Zelanie - time for a rest day indeed.  Are you supposed to restrict your running to 3 days a week, or just go by feel?

Jerry - no taper this time?

Cherie - Good job on the early 9 miles.  I hope today's movie is better than yesterday's.

Coralie - hope you get a run in today.  Walmart shouldn't be too bad, since it's a long weekend.  A lot of people will have stocked up yesterday, hopefully.

Jack - hope the short run helped your legs some.  Have fun with the music and barbeque today.

AFM:  I put up a race report for my 5k.  Short version was a new PR of 27:06.  I'm ready for a nap now, since I'm really not used to getting up so early, but I had fun.

Question - is a 3 mile race a hard enough day that I need to do an easy day tomorrow?  Tomorrow is supposed to be cool again, so I'd like to do a long run if possible to take advantage of the nice weather.  But that goes against the hard - easy - hard - easy timeline.  FWIW, I feel fine, just sleepy.