Beginners and Beyond

1st Annual Jingle Bell Run (Read 99 times)

We have this area in town that has forever been known as Christmas Tree Lane.  It's an old part of town and the houses are amazing and they overly decorate and people drive down at night with their lights off.  the lane is closed off to normal traffic.  there used to be a real choir that was there and broadcast over speakers, and Santa greeted you at the end and gave you candy canes and you gave donations, if you wanted. It was THE thing to do.  Well over the past ten or so years, it's been fading, it's not as safe as it used to be, and people are stealing decorations every year.  Okay, so now you know the history......

They are hosting their 1st annual Jingle Bell Run.  It benefits Toys for Tots, so if you bring a toy, you get a santa hat.  The amenities are a tshirt, a hat (if you bring a toy) and jingle bells.  It's a 5K or 2 miles.  Sounds fun right??  Well, it's at 9am.  No lights to be seen.  Sad  And it's $30 which to me is a lot for 3.1 miles.

So my question, if you're still with me.  Do it or don't?  If I do, I'd drag hubby with me, it'd be a light, easy run, and so it'd be $60 plus 2 toys (new and unwrapped) to run 3.1 miles down an old street known for Christmas lights in the middle of the morning.  Part of me thinks it'd be fun but the other part is hung up on, is $60 plus two toys too much for that?

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I would say if you have that much pocket change on the dresser, sure. If not, $60+ is kinda steep.

andrew jerald

I think I would skip out but I'm pretty cheap on 5k's.

runfoolery

It's kind of a gimmicky run so $30 is in line with that I think. ie, it's probably not going to be accurately measured, is it even chip timed? It sounds more like an event run than a race

The 5K is chip timed.  I agree, it definitely wouldn't be a PR type run, just more for fun

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Run it with your DH at night so you can enjoy the lights. If you can safely, of course.

$30+ seems to be pretty normal - at least where I am. If it doesn't seem worth it to you, though, then don't run it.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]