Beginners and Beyond

Monday Morning Penguins National Lasagna Day! (Read 32 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Wink

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It's funny because I have left over lasagna in the fridge from last night, and I just happened to look up what national day it was.  Thanks Scotty for getting me started on that.  2 years ago the words leftover and lasagna would have never been used in the same sentence.

I got in 4 (actually 3.9) with some strides this morning, and plan on getting out again tonight.  My quality runs this week look pretty demanding, but I'm looking forward to them.  I'm seeing a difference already from those and the increased miles.  Last week was my second 60 mile week, and it was just a hair longer than my last 60 mile week.  Yet, I spent about 40 minutes less time on my feet.

Make today a great day.  Find something that you're thankful for, and thank someone.  You won't regret it!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Good morning!

Strength training at 5am. Uff da! Smile

Happy National Lasagna Day! Lasagna sounds so good right now! Must be time for breakfast...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did my 44th race of 2013 on Saturday:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/df0bf29830634651b146d2625d9c4be3/resume#focus    Sunday, was up at 5:30 a.m. and did a run/walk at Fort Sam Houston.  Nice and quiet on the base at that time of morning!  Especially on a Sunday.

Rest day for me today.   July is going out and August coming in,both with a vengeance here in San Antonio.  Our predicted highs for this week:  every day over 100 degree....getting to 103 on Wednesday!

Thanks for getting us started today, Awood!  Congrats on your run!

Mickey, Mickey!  Where you been Mickey?  Welcome back!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mickey - I used to lift at 5AM on a regular basis.  It sure does make you feel strong in more ways than one.  Have a great day, and try some lasagna.

Scotty - We're having the opposite weather here.  We hit a record low for yesterday's date.  The high was 67.  This morning it was in the 50's.  It's truly bizarre.  BTW, that cartoon is messed up...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6 miles tonight.  No sleep since Trixie kept throwing up all night.  Silly cat.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Oh no!  I hope Trixie feels better, and your 6 goes well.

Morning!  6 miles tonight.  No sleep since Trixie kept throwing up all night.  Silly cat.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Mickey - I used to lift at 5AM on a regular basis.  It sure does make you feel strong in more ways than one.  Have a great day, and try some lasagna.

Scotty - We're having the opposite weather here.  We hit a record low for yesterday's date.  The high was 67.  This morning it was in the 50's.  It's truly bizarre.  BTW, that cartoon is messed up...lol

Awood, you mentioned on my race report my insane race schedule.  I am not doing all those races in August, lol. That list is just what is available to us in our area. We do have quite a few races available, all right!  And in September, October, November, when our 'cool' weather - highs only in the 70s - gets here, we have even MORE available to us.  Just check out Sep, for example.  I guess when it comes to available races, San Antonio area has it pretty good:

Sep 4/11/18/25 - San Antonio - SARR Wednesday Evening 2-Mile Zoo Run

Sep 2 -  Dry Comal Creek Winery - SARR Labor Day 5-Mile Whine Run

Sep 6 - San Antonio - HEB Animal Zoo Run and Kids Run

Sep 7 - Austin - Austin PRIDE Rainbow Run 5K

Sep 7 - Bastrop - Burning Pine 5K and 10K at Bastrop State Park

Sep 7 - Round Rock - Water To Thrive 5K and Kids K

Sep 7 - Alamo Heights (San Antonio) - Daisy's Paws For A Cause 5K

Sep 7 - San Antonio - S.A. Roadrunners Monthly Fun Runs (Free/Open to Public)

Sep 8 - Leander - Brain Power 5K

Sep 8 - San Antonio - Alamo City Marathon Challenge Race #3; 10K/1/2 Marathon

Sep 13 - San Antonio - 10 PM Urban Legend Night Time 5K at Mission Espada

Sep 13 - San Antonio - Friday The 13th Night Race

Sep 14 - Austin - The Color Run

Sep 14 - Gruene - Gruene 10K

Sep 14 - San Antonio - Race to Remember 5K Run/Walk@Woodlawn Lake

Sep 14 - San Antonio - Run and Walk for AIDS

Sep 15 - Cedar Park - Run Free Texas 80s 8K Community Run

Sep 21 - Cedar Park - Step Up For Africa 5K & Family Fun Walk

Sep 21 - Fredericksburg - Hit The Trails Running 5K

Sep 21 - Georgetown - Vern's No Frills 5K

Sep 21 - Johnson City - Lighthouse Hill Ranch 10M/20M/50K Trail Run

Sep 21 - San Antonio - Wounded Warrior Project 8K/1K

Sep 21 - San Marcos - Country Roads 10K and Kids Run

Sep 21 - Adkins (San Antonio) Texas Pride 5K or 8K and Boot Scoot

Sep 21 - Austin - CASA Super Hero Run

Sep 22 - Dripping Springs - Run By The Creek 5K/10K presented by Belterra

Sep 22 - Round Rock - Flight Like A Girl 5K

Sep 22 - San Antonio - Carrerathon Race #4: Gusto 5K, 8M and 20K

Sep 28 - Austin - RCNA Ranger 5K Run at Rattan Creek Park

Sep 28 - Austin - Karaoke 5K Fun Run (untimed)

Sep 28 - Belton - Trails of Hope 5K at Miller Springs

Sep 28 - Giddings - Brain Power Five & Dime (5K/10K)

Sep 28 - Mason - Gem of the Hill Country 5K/10K Run/Walk

Sep 28 - San Antonio - ZERO Prostate Cancer 10K/5K and 1 Mile Walk

Sep 28 - San Antonio - SNIPSA Race For Rescues 5K (Individual or With Your Dog)

Sep 28 - San Antonio - Neon Sizzle 5K Run/Walk

Sep 28 - San Antonio - 5K Run/Walk to Break The Silence on Ovarian Cancer

Sep 28 - San Marcos - Pet Fest 5K & Fun Run Dog Jog

Sep 29 - San Antonio - Siclovia 5K Run/Walk at Alamo Plaza

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry to hear Trixie is sick.  Hope you are staying safe in all that water that is down there!  I saw on the Weather Channel some Miami streets were flooded and they reported Miami is 7 inches in rain above what it usually gets for the month of July.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

TGIM, that was a busy weekend.  I need a nice, quiet cubicle.  More walk/run this afternoon with half mile runs this week.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

All correct. Remember two weeks ago when I ran in tropical storm conditions?  That was it.  I ran on water.  I'm a god! Big grin

Although if I were, you would think I would be able to sleep something in the last two days, bah!

Sorry to hear Trixie is sick.  Hope you are staying safe in all that water that is down there!  I saw on the Weather Channel some Miami streets were flooded and they reported Miami is 7 inches in rain above what it usually gets for the month of July.

Damaris

Good morning all.

SRD here.

Scotty what event do you have planned for Saturday am?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

From the Internet.

Morning all!

URD for me, maybe some upper body weights later. Now that my left leg is in order, my right soleus is acting up.. I guess the track workout, distance PR, and hills over the last week were a little too much for it. Massaging and icing for the next couple days - it doesn't feel too bad but from what I've read it can take you out for quite a while if you make it worse, so I'm not going to attempt to run on it while it's sore. Hopefully a couple days will be enough to get it back to normal, and then I'll add in some bent knee calf raises to strengthen it.

Bin Running

Morning guys! Lasagna sound good. Yet to find a good place for it. 7M easy done since the weather is good.

Awood, I watched jack daniels video. I totally agreed with him and are looking at not running more than 3 or 3.5 hrs. But I also feel that 20 miler is a good moral boaster. Well, I could try to run faster. Haa. Lets see how this is going to play out. My oct 32k is probably my litmus test for the full.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Scotty, I think you are on track to break your old record of 73 races in a year. Shhhh, nobody tell his doctor! Lol Your weather is not being nice.

Mickey, glad to see you back around.

Im taking a RD today.