Beginners and Beyond

National anthem before races (Read 97 times)

Cyberic

Forgot I started this thread this morning Smile

Lily, just for the sake of arguing, if a Quebec national anthem existed, and they played it before a hockey game, I would find it just as absurd, and would not stand with more pride and dignity than during the canadian anthem before a local sporting event. It is a matter of principle. It has nothing to do with the anthem or the place it represents.

For respect for you, if we went to Spain together and I knew it would embarass you if I didn't stand, I would stand. Personnally I don't teach tradition to my kids, I teach them to stand up (no pun intended) for what they believe, no matter what others think.

From your answers it's not "as bad" as I thought. I thought it might be played systematically before every sporting event in the country.

Good point Dave: before a race I'm already standing up, and not really listening to the music or what the announcer is saying anyways, so it wouldn't bother me.

PADRunner

We were in Plano, a mega-suburb of Dallas. Lived there for 2 years, 10 years ago. We had a kid in elementary school at the time. I guess it varies by school district or something. Plano probably had more transplants than native Texans, so who knows. Maybe a more recent development. The area is way more conservative than Austin, if that makes a difference.

I grew up in DFW and never said it at school.

It is performed at probably about 50% of races here.

While I think it is out of place at a race, I remove my hat and stand silently out of respect for those who gave their lives in military service, *even though I do not agree with many/most of our current foreign policies.*

As for hockey games, it is a tradition, and I actually like the Canadian anthem better.  Those I view as part of the experience.  A few years ago we had an Irishman doing a bunch of singing before sporting events, and he refused to sing the American anthem, doing "God Bless America" instead.

You make an interesting point, though, Eric.  Say we were at a race in Russia.  Would it be wrong to sit through their anthem?  Would it be dangerous to do so?  North Korea?  (If they wanted me to salute their flag before a race *or else*, I think I'd salute.)

happylily

Eric, you're an anarchist, you damned bum...  (but thank you for saying that you'd get up for me, that's very courteous of you.:-))

BTW, Jay, if I attended an event in North Korea, or Russia, that required getting up during their national anthems, I like to believe that I'd be brave enough to stay on my seat, because I would feel it goes against what I really think of those two governments and I would use this as a way to send my message.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

I went to elementary school in Houston and don't remember pledging to the Texas flag, but that doesn't mean we didn't do it.  It was definitely Texas first, the country second.

Right after the latest invasion of Iraq, we went to a NBA game and didn't stand for the anthem.  We got a few dirty looks, and DH said a few people even tossed some stuff in our direction.

MothAudio

Races in West Virgina do this and it's not uncommon in Ohio. I wish more races did as it allows me to relax and focus on the challenge ahead.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

You Rang?

Here in SoCal, I can't think of a race were the national anthem wasn't played or sung.  Most of the time the performance is very good, but I recall a few races where the song was butchered quite badly.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

LRB

In my experience, the National Anthem is sung here at all but the most obscure of races.

I do not mind it as I think it is one of the few moments in our daily lives where most people are one. I found this particularly true after the attacks on 9/11.

I do not believe however, that standing for it means you agree with our country's policies.  I also do not believe a person needs to offer a reason as to why they do or do not stand for it as it is their right.

I was raised a Jehovah's Witness and was made to sit during it and not allowed to participate in one of a dozen other things that EVERYONE ELSE was participating in, which for a kid is about as close to cruel and unusual punishment as it gets. Thanks ma! 

I thus try not to judge anyone who does not stand for it in part because you just never know what their reason(s) is/are but more importantly (at least in this country), they have that right.

That they have that right supersedes what I may personally think about an issue or subject. So for me, having those rights whether you agree or disagree with a person is easily one of the coolest things about living in America.

Cyberic

That they have that right supersedes what I may personally think about an issue or subject. So for me, having those rights whether you agree or disagree with a person is easily one of the coolest things about living in America.

Same can be said about Canada. Of course, Canada is part of America (the continent).

B-Plus

Is Texas the Quebec of the U.S.? I had no idea!

PADRunner

Yes the National Anthem was sang before the Dallas Marathon today.

Is Texas the Quebec of the U.S.? I had no idea!

It actually is; there's frequently talk of secession, and they kind of even have their own language.

Dave

Cyberic

It actually is; there's frequently talk of secession, and they kind of even have their own language.

With all the oil they have, I guess secession would be economically viable for them. And we have all the pretty women. Maybe we could team up with them and make a new country: Quexas!

RSX

I hear it at about 10% of the smaller races I run, (most of the 1,000+ ones) and love when it is an actual person singing it live as opposed to a cd. 1 race had a 6 or 7 year old boy sing it 2 years ago which was great. If it was me, I would be forgetting words to any song live let alone our national anthem.

I have run 2 Canadian races and heard their anthem at one of them, and loved it.

There are players from many many countries playing for the Montreal Canadiens... what do they care for the canadian national anthem?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Bourne-Blog-Inside-a-hockey-player-s-head-durin?urn=nhl-318480

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes