Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES (Read 31 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I used to have a pretty high tolerance for the treadmill, meaning I could routinely bang out double digit runs on one without much a problem.  Over the summer, I ran almost 100% outdoor miles.  I have found trying to ease back into treadmill running now to be very mentally difficult.  It never used to be that way, but now I'm going nuts just three miles into a run.  I'm hoping I get some of that tolerance back. 

I'm on week 3 or 4 of TM running and I'm just getting my tolerance back. I'm now thinking about doing a 7 miler sometime soon, which would requirement me to stop and start my TM.

- Andrew

LRB

Within a period of five minutes, I was right back to normal!

Damn G, if the running does not kill ya, the tests surely will, aye!

Scap, mine automatically goes into cool down at 58 minutes, pisses me off every time.  With a 40 minute limit, I would probably split my 6 mile run into two, 3 mile runs.

Brrr, it's time to add a couple r's to your name lol.

Boon, I do not know that I ever get comfortable on the belt, I just tolerate it for three months.

StepbyStep-SH

I chose the TM over 17*, feels like 5*, in the morning darkness. Ugh. Still don't like the TM. But at least the ones in our YMCA will go to 99 minutes before forcing you to restart. The only advantage to being on the TM was that I didn't have to change clothes before my strength training class. 6.8 miles run + an hour of ST = tired Shari.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Re: treadmills, I think boredom on the machine is part of the reason I've overdone it with speedwork in the past.  Throwing in 30 seconds to a minute at 12 mph a few times definitely alleviates boredom and feels (awful but) awesome in the moment... but if that's what I have to do to get through a run on the treadmill 5 times a week, it's gonna burn me out.  Same with treadmill progression runs: easy relative to outdoor but I just can't do them every workout!  And right now, of course, I can't do speed training at ALL until December 15th or so.  So easy/boring runs it is.  Booooooo.

The only other solution (aside from excessive speedwork) I have found to boredom is watching Supernatural.  Great eyecandy (it's like Baywatch but for women! and nerds!).  Except then I start giggling and get a hitch in my stride.  Still, better than nothing.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

Still, better than nothing.

Agreed.

Hip Redux

Damn G, if the running does not kill ya, the tests surely will, aye!

Tell me about it.

LRB

I broke down and bought the stupid Nimbus 15 light show today.  I really did not want to spend that much money on a fuckin' running shoe (and a trainer at that!) but the color scheme they offer on some of them is totally unremarkable.

After two years of running in stability shoes, I am experimenting with a neutral trainer this off season and feel most comfortable with that model, not so much the look.  The light show looks decent though, it just cost 40 dollars more than the others.

As it is, Finishline had them for $139 (they are $150 - $155 everywhere else) and I had a $20 coupon which was the best price I have seen the past month that I have been looking.

Normally I am excited when I get new shoes.  This time, 'eh not so much.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I broke down and bought the stupid Nimbus 15 light show today.  I really did not want to spend that much money on a fuckin' running shoe (and a trainer at that!) but the color scheme they offer on some of them is totally unremarkable.

After two years of running in stability shoes, I am experimenting with a neutral trainer this off season and feel most comfortable with that model, not so much the look.  The light show looks decent though, it just cost 40 dollars more than the others.

As it is, Finishline had them for $139 (they are $150 - $155 everywhere else) and I had a $20 coupon which was the best price I have seen the past month that I have been looking.

Normally I am excited when I get new shoes.  This time, 'eh not so much.

Hey, quit insulting my shoe!  Wink  I've run in the Nimbus for years.  I just got one pair in and have 2 more pairs on back-order that should arrive shortly.  When they get here, then with these 3 new pairs, I will have 8 pairs of Nimbus in my rotation...a couple of the older ones to be retired in a couple more months.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

I've run in the Nimbus for years. 

The brand and model are solid, I just wish they did not try to be so outlandish with some of the color schemes.  Truth be told, I am actually conservative where fashion is concerned, preferring to let my personality do all the shining, not my clothing.  Cool

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Evening, Dailies!

No run today, as usual. Knee was pretty stiff most of the morning until I took an ibuprophen. It seems that sitting behind a desk aggravates the knee, while walking around helps it. After work today, I spread some fertilizer over most of my yard (ran out of fertilizer) and the leg felt great. Weird.

I'll probably call the doc in the next couple of days to get an update on my x-rays and to give him an update on how things are doing. In the meantime, no running. Arggggh.....

Off to bed soon. This week's surprise at work - I'm participating in a national power system cyber attack drill tomorrow and Thursday. Should be interesting. I've spent the last hour or so catching up on the procedures, rules, and regulations regarding such issues. Where would we be without procedures?

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

B-Plus

Hip Redux

B+ - your log looks like MY log.  Big grin  Minus that little 26 miler there.

Docket_Rocket

You sure have taken it easy!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Race recovery has been more fun than I expected. What did I miss?

Zelanie

Since we're talking treadmills and I already posted last week's miles, last week I ran my longest ever TM run of 13.1.  I was at a hotel and it was dark outside and I didn't know the area, and the miles couldn't wait.  I am pretty sure the TM was calibrated incorrectly, too, and that it was probably a 14+ miler, but who knows.  Whatever it was, it sucked.

Although I guess I'm happy it wasn't the kind of TM that turns off.  It just goes back to 0:00 after 99 minutes.  And it's such a terrible TM that when I went to do my next run on it 2 days later, nobody had been on it and it was still showing my miserable LR.