Beginners and Beyond

Vancouver Eastside 10k (Read 60 times)

B-Plus

After the inaugural edition last year, I said this was my favourite race and it still is today. It's hard not to like an organization that does such a great job at supporting our Canadian kids. Last year, I ran a PR at the time of 38:08, right in the thick of marathon training. My official 5k splits were 19:19/18:49.

Going into it this year as a goal race, I was very optimistic and excited about where I was fitness-wise. I felt like I could run about 37:40, so I figure why not try to go for that 37:30. After some back and forth, I was targeting 18:50/18:40ish.

The start/finish is 3 blocks from my place, so that makes the morning logistics a breeze. I got to the race site about an hour before the start, hung around for a bit, then started my warm up on the course about 35 minutes before the gun (actually horn). 2 miles with some strides.

I was trying to stand about 3 rows back from the start of the masses, but nobody would go up to the tape so I got right up front. Kinda neat to be able to reach out and touch some of these athletes who have a shot at making the Olympics. Along with my time-based race plan, I though I would try to stick with a guy who is just a bit faster than me, and is also coached by local Olympian Dylan Wykes. I didn’t want to break myself trying to stick with him, since I knew he ran 37:30ish in July and could be getting fitter. The race started out on a gentle downslope, and from last year I knew to try to bank a little bit of time here, but not go out too crazy. Well I started out faster than Dylan’s boy, but still in control. 3:42, which was just a tad slower than last year. Then he passed me, with a vengeance and I just had to let him go.

After that, I latched on with social running club, Fraser Street Run Club and a reasonably fast university female for the rest of the way. A bunch of rolling and flat was up next, through a pretty high risk neighbourhood. Just after 3km, we there was a group of Japanese spectators showing some love with screams of “Ganbare!” I always get an extra boost from this, since it always brings back memories of the overwhelming support of the Tokyo Marathon.

It was neat to run through historic Gastown just before the half, but it kind of sucks to run on brick. This was a fast section for me last year though, probably because of a slight decline. I’m not sure what I ran on this section this year, since I missed one of the markers. I didn’t get the greatest look at the clock at the half, but I’m pretty sure it said something close to 18:50. Perfect. I also felt way better here than last year, like I was just out doing a tempo run. I seriously wanted to pack it in right around here last year. Since I was feeling pretty good, I decided to pick it up a notch, and this is where I passed university girl. I might not have actually sped up, but I needed to increase the effort just to keep pace. Fraser Street Run Club was picking it up as well, and I was doing my best to keep up. It was really helpful that their leader was turning his head around to shout some encouragement. Probably not at me, but I just pretended it was.

I started to feel discomfort around 7km. I was still hanging on to Fraser Street, and as I turned a corner Dylan’s boy was back in sight. The local running store was also set up around here, seemingly taking a survey of running shoe brands. I just told myself that it would be over soon, and don’t need to pass anyone, just let these guys pull me in.

There was a bit of an uphill at the end of the 9th km, and thinking back to my hill repeats on the other side of False Creek really helped at this point. I hit the lap button at 9km, but I didn’t want to look in case a sucky time would get me down. I just wanted to run as fast as possible the last little bit. Once I got over that hill, it was on to the push to the finish. Very gentle and just noticeable incline. I think Fraser Street was pretty much gone, but I was then back and forth with a guy wearing a singlet with the name of a running club from Toronto. I passed, he said, “Oh no you don’t,” then I went again while hearing him on my heels. I finally dropped him (at least I think) with about 600m to go, then not long after I saw the clock. I couldn’t tell if it was 37:0x or 37:5x. I really started booting it just in case I had a chance to go under 37:30. Yep, 3:35 final km for a finishing time of 37:26. Official 5k splits were 18:49 and 18:38. That last one is a 5k PR by 1 second.

Oh, and I finished just a second behind Dylan’s boy. After de-sweating, I introduced myself and he knew exactly who I was. I guess we all stalk the race times of those around us!

I also took first place in my age group! Last year I was third, and I thought I might have a shot at second this year, but the one super speedy guy didn’t show so I get the prize. It’s a bit surprising that I can still compete in these larger races. I would have no chance in 40-44 though. Those guys mean business.

The most exciting part of all this is that at least 7 of my friends were out there. That’s so motivating.

Here's a pic so Baboon doesn't get mad at having to ask about the bling:

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congratulations!  You ran a great race!

Damaris

LRB

Excellent!  I love the part about not wanting to see a sucky time and therefore not looking.  I have done that as well, although not with as good a result.

And for the record the entire age range of the 40's is loaded, it's just a matter of who shows up that day.

Nice job!  Time to get fat.  lol

Cyberic

Way to go! That sounds like the perfect race you ran there. 3:35 final km . I'm impressed. Others from the forum also impress me but I always have to convert from mins/mile to mins/km. Your split impressed me the moment I read it

WOW. Blazing fast! That is amazing that you were almost exactly on your goal 5k splits, within 1-2 sec.

Tremendous race!

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Dang, that is fast. Really fast! Could you explain how you "de-sweat?"  That is something that could come in handy someday. Great run.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's super fast, congrats on the PR and awesome bling. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

delicate flower

I would have no chance in 40-44 though. Those guys mean business.

Yeah, no shit.  

Awesome race, B+!  Though you probably deserve at least an A- for this effort.  When you said you set a 5K PR in this race, I just assumed it was the first half of this race.  That's pretty nuts to do it in the second half. Mighty impressive.  And thanks for the bling pic.  I most certainly would have asked.

<3

happylily

That was a great RR. Seriously, dude, you're one fast dude!  Congratulations on the PR and AG award! Don't worry about the 40-44 AG, when you're that age, you will be even faster than you are now (but you will feel all sorts of aches, day and night. Nothing serious ). Great picture, you look so proud and happy (ok, you look cute too. Can't help myself...). I can't wait to see what you do in Boston!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

B-Plus

Thanks everybody  Sorry, I haven't posted the last few RRs. You can stalk my log in the race details, but it's not that interesting.

DR - Thanks, it's sure not as exciting as flying all over the world to race though.

LRB - I actually weighed in at my Chicago weight this morning. It took damn long enough. Of course I'm eating shit up today, but back at it on Monday.

Eric - Thank you my Canadian friend. I'm glad I'm making it convenient for you to be impressed.

Dave - I wasn't really looking at my watch, but I knew 18:50 was manageable for the first half, especially based on my last 10k. Then I just needed to pick it up.

Jack - Lol, I don't know. That's just what my friend commented by the time I met up with her.

FS - Thank you 

Baboon - Thanks. I was hoping to copy and paste some portions from your race report, but not much was relevant. What crappy conditions you had on the way back today. Congrats!

Lily - I might be too shy to meet you in Boston now  I'll try not to turn 40 by then.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations.  You ran an awesome race.  You also write a good race report.  Thanks for sharing.

Great job, B!

Congrats on the AG win, and 2nd half 5K PR in a 10K?  Daaamn!

Pic notes:

1) Cool bib!  They had a drop bag for such a short race?

2) Holy cow, there are lot of cornflower-colored shirts behind you.

3) There is a guy with a spider web tattoo around his knee drinking a half liter of mustard.  He is probably dangerous.

outoftheblue

Way to turn it on!  Congrats on a fantastic race.

Life is good.

Zelanie

That is awesome that you get that kind of turnout and competition for a 10K.  Is there prize money involved?  Or is that just the difference between running in a city vs. a smaller town?

Anyway, sounds like you ran a very smart race.  I love the way you used the competition to pull you though.  Congrats on the AG award, too.  I know what you mean about the 40-44 age group.  I am about to get there myself, and I am just hoping some of the faster ladies turn 45 before I turn 40! Smile

LRB

When you said you set a 5K PR in this race, I just assumed it was the first half of this race.  That's pretty nuts to do it in the second half. Mighty impressive. 

Seriously!  While most fall off dude turned it on!

And for the record, it does not get any easier for the 45 to 49 grouping either.