Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race Number 90: Elf 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20race%20reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2090%20Elf%20Run%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 90th race of 2018 was the Elf 5K on Sunday, December 16, put on at Children's Rehabilitation Institute of Teleton Foundation USA in San Antonio. This was my 3rd race of the Dec 15 – 16 weekend, after having done 2 races on Saturday.   TeletonUSA is the US subsidiary of Teleton in Mexico.  The Children's Rehabilitation Institute of TeletonUSA is a state-of-the-art pediatric rehabilitation and therapy facility for disabled children.  I try do to this one whenever I can since disabled kids is a very personal cause for me, as I was a March of Dimes baby born with a birth defect.  There was also a Kids 1K.  Race start time was 9 a.m. so since I live only about 4 miles from this facility, I got to sleep in a bit on a Sunday morning, did not have to get up at 5 a.m. like I usually have to do for most of my events. I arrived on-site with about an hour to go, got my packet and then got some pre-start photos.

With "Buddy" the mascot of H--E-B, a billion dollar grocery company headquartered in San Antonio

photo IMG_1563_zpsqmpnncmh.jpg

My speedy pal, Don.  This was his 104th race of the year.

photo IMG_1567_zpswzplnq8o.jpg

photo IMG_1568_zpshk2dwk5r.jpg

Athlete Guild crew that did the timing, results, etc.

photo IMG_1553_zpsplwoykl7.jpg

Our event MC

photo IMG_1558_zpscp2m1nlu.jpg

photo IMG_1566_zpscjsc51y7.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_1552_zpsy1omvt0m.jpg

photo IMG_1554_zpse1fnjgha.jpg

photo IMG_1555_zpsw66bm98i.jpg

photo IMG_1556_zpshl7wlgrg.jpg

photo IMG_1574_zpshgeksbzd.jpg

photo IMG_1557_zpsf9wxvgky.jpg

photo IMG_1559_zpsw2ljvxv0.jpg

photo IMG_1560_zpskjnp3nco.jpg

photo IMG_1561_zpssf68q345.jpg

photo IMG_1562_zpsark1dihq.jpg

photo IMG_1570_zpsfy4ks1gf.jpg

photo IMG_1571_zpsxpolksyh.jpg

photo IMG_1572_zpsjkqoy6dn.jpg

photo IMG_1573_zpsj5oml8ve.jpg

ON THE COURSE

I wore a light base layer for this one with running shirt on top.  Texas crazy weather.  For my Saturday night 5K the temp had been 71 degrees and I was in a singlet.  For this one the temp had dropped back into the mid-40s, but we did have “abundant sunshine”, as the weather folks say.  The course was changed from last year and this year’s was MUCHO better. Out-and-back course.  We started at Teleton and then did a loop through Morgan’s Wonderland – an amusement park designed specifically with the disable in mind; their rides even accommodate wheelchairs! – and then back onto flat paved roads going past Toyota Stadium, the home of San Antonio’s major league soccer team, and past Heroes Stadium, an event venue belonging to local Northside School District, that includes track, football field, etc.  We did a turn-round near Hero’s Stadium and then back the way we had come out.  The Morgan’s Wonderland loop was a nice addition to the course with nice views along the way of the park and the park’s man-made lake.  The course ended up being about 1/10 of a mile short, but that was okay, still a very nice course.  I think next year they will just move the turn-round point down a bit and that will take care of that missing tenth of a mile.  I ended up with a chip time of 29:08 – which is why I knew the course was a tad short, I haven’t done an under-30-minute 5K since I was in my 30s, lol; that, and I checked with friends who had their garmins and they all confirmed short also.  Even so, all good, nice course which I enjoyed very much.  I ended up 4th male in my 60 – 69 age group.

Getting ready to start

photo IMG_1575_zpsimxea9uo.jpg

photo IMG_1576_zpsqbsumq5y.jpg

After we did the first loop through Morgan's Wonderland we went into this area known as Quarry Park.  Long ago, this was a working San Antonio quarry; now an event local surrounded by these tall quarry hills you can see in the distance

photo IMG_1577_zpsjpraclfe.jpg

photo IMG_1579_zpso7yi3zsg.jpg

Looking back toward Morgan's Wonderland

photo IMG_1578_zpstvqymtvj.jpg

Passing the water park that was designed by the makers of Morgan's Wonderland.  This water park is also disabled friendly.  It even has a lighthouse kids can play in.

photo IMG_1580_zpsxxbiotu8.jpg

photo IMG_1582_zpsfn3bvnmi.jpg

Heading to the turn-round point. My friend Bernadette was already heading to the finish

photo IMG_1583_zpsi7z2z4wx.jpg

photo IMG_1584_zps20cdb96o.jpg

My friend Mary K.  This was her 1,410th lifetime race!

photo IMG_1585_zps0dsggsi1.jpg

Made the turn-round, heading back to the finish, and now chasing Mary, lol.

photo IMG_1586_zpslj5njjju.jpg

photo IMG_1587_zpsugjutdox.jpg

These two are wearing the race shirt that was in the race packet

photo IMG_1588_zpskvv31fcy.jpg

photo IMG_1589_zpsmtpymjuf.jpg

photo IMG_1590_zpsfbn11kks.jpg

photo IMG_1591_zpssnhk1476.jpg

After that last photo, nonstop running for me all the way back to the finish. I actually did catch up to Mary on the last loop around Morgan's Wonderland Lake right before we finished.

AFTER MY FINISH

I sweat like crazy when I run – even in cold weather – so first thing got off my wet base layer and put on a dry base layer.  Then it was off to check out the race goodies – no beer, bummer, but I keep hoping they’ll get it one year Tongue – and get some after photos.

Two speedy and happy finishers.  Don and his friend here both placed in their age groups. 

photo IMG_1592_zpsnqgkwk64.jpg

With Transformer Guy.  I  jokingly told him I was a Transformer too....sometimes I transform into an Idiot... 

photo IMG_1593_zpsyin2hky9.jpg

Happy finisher Bernadette with friends.  This was Race 104 for the year for Bernadette.

photo IMG_1594_zpsu6nbunro.jpg

photo IMG_1595_zpsjmku1aes.jpg

photo IMG_1600_zps9kaeyewd.jpg

photo IMG_1601_zpsg7ppatmp.jpg

Teleton mascot

photo IMG_1602_zpskhf49hcx.jpg

This event was dog friendly so I did give out treats.   This was one relaxed doggie, lol.

photo IMG_1596_zpsp1iyh7to.jpg

Some of the post-race goodies. Besides this stuff, they also had various fruits, water, etc.

photo IMG_1597_zpssdzugt3p.jpg

photo IMG_1598_zps2ubqikjm.jpg

photo IMG_1599_zpsyt0btoa3.jpg

photo IMG_1604_zpseuqaoa2c.jpg

photo IMG_1605_zpsol7oxhw3.jpg

photo IMG_1607_zpsejzurl9b.jpg

photo IMG_1608_zpsafdkbexj.jpg

A happy family of speedy medal winners

photo IMG_1609_zpsntqdynkq.jpg

photo IMG_1610_zpsjmu3639d.jpg

photo IMG_1611_zpsritadpv2.jpg

Mary and her husband...two of the greatest people I have had the privilege of knowing

photo IMG_1612_zpssuxarg6k.jpg

Bernadette, 1st in her age group, Don 3rd in his....and I was 4th lol.  Don was waaay ahead of me in time.

photo IMG_1613_zps3zwbbnok.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a very fun event, with lots of people in various types of “elf gear” and other types of Christmas and costume garb.  Given the theme of the race the course is disabled and wheel-chair friendly and there were a few kids out their in chairs and they were all AWESOME to see and so inspiring.  If you think you have problems, come do this event and watch these kids do their thing and then you think, “jeez, what the heck do I have to complain about?”  Well, I still do complain about my aches-and-pains, lol, but this event sure gives you perspective.  Nice quality, colorful red race t-shirts, very nice post-race goodies – I think they also had some breakfast taquitos supplied by Whataburger – the most popular Texas fast food chain – but I missed those, excellent course and really great and friendly participants and supporters.  This race is definitely a keeper and I most certainly would recommend it to others to put onto their race calendar.

Mucho thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us:  organizers and volunteers, sponsors, vendors, the law enforcement folks out there for us, keeping us safe, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  And, of course a BIG shout-out to Teleton for bringing this race to us here in San Antonio and for the great cause this event supports.  Thank you all so much for what you do so we participants can have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt