Beginners and Beyond

Speak softly and carry a big DAILIES (Read 46 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am sorry to hear this, Tom.

Damaris

happylily

Tom, it sucks, but at least you have an answer. And just from our little group here, you can see that surgery is often the way to better, happier, faster running. Hang in strong, we'll be here with you to keep you entertained during the recovery period. Just ask Oski, we're good at it. 

No pictures unless I decide to do a crap ton of butt affirming exercises. And even then, no pictures.  And in case you wonder if I would really run with that on... Not on the streets. But it's a running/swimming outfit for the beach. It has two functions. That's how Lululemon justify the outrageous price on the two skimpy pieces.

11 miles @ 7:48 pace. A little slower than marathon pace in 45F (if we must talk like this, now )

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Boo.... Sad

Good, bad, and ugly.

Good - 3.5 early morning miles today, easy pace.

Bad - Torn medial meniscus, right knee.

Ugly (or not) - arthroscopic surgery to deal with said torn meniscus scheduled for June 27.

Strange - doctor did NOT tell me to stop running, but simply repeated that if it hurts, don't do it.

Pretty much what I suspected. I thought it was a meniscus problem from the start, then talked myself out of it, then back into it. Finally, the MRI removed all doubt. Ortho and I looked at it together, which pleased me. My regular PCP probably wouldn't have shared the images with me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Good - 3.5 early morning miles today, easy pace.

If you are running and have been is surgery totally necessary?

LRB

Hang in strong, we'll be here with you to keep you entertained during the recovery period. Just ask any one of us, just about each of us has been busted the hell up like nobody's business at one time or another, we're good at it. 

I fixed yo' damn post woman. 

happylily

I fixed yo' damn post woman. 

Yep, you fixed that right. 

Baboon

delicate flower

<3

LRB

Yep, you fixed that right. 

I have actually been hurt or sidelined each of the previous 3 years that I have been running.  Maybe it's all out of my system now?

Oh, and I did sign up to work with that physical trainer that I went to last Monday, I just think that the velocities that I race and train at demand professional assistance in that regard.

It is 50 bucks per session but at this point I cannot risk letting monetary issues dictate my path, so I just won't eat...notice I didn't say drink. 

happylily

I think it takes about three years for the body to truly adapt to running. Any little weakness will appear during that time. I had shin splints that hurt like hell for the first 8 months, and hip and knee pain as well for the first year. Then calf pain the second year. Now, nothing... We either adapt or we break. The physical trainer will make sure that you adapt rather than break. If you're about to embark in marathon training in the fall, you need every part of your body to be as solid as rock. And I mean it, no joking here.

LRB

How long have you been running lil?

happylily

How long have you been running lil?

I started from zero in September 2007. So, soon to be... 7 years? NO FREAKIN" WAY!!! Aww... shit! the infamous 10 year window of improvement is soon coming to an end. :-(

LRB

I started from zero in September 2007. So, soon to be... 7 years? NO FREAKIN" WAY!!! Aww... shit! the infamous 10 year window of improvement is soon coming to an end. :-(

That's only on the main page, in the dailies we do whatever we want to do.  If you want to keep BQing, go for it!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

If you are running and have been is surgery totally necessary?

Unfortunately, most likely yes. It isn't healing that I can tell. The pain increases with running volume, and it sends out very sharp pains when my foot gets turned outward. Not if I just turn it, but if it drags on the ground and is turned outward, it hurts like hell.

At the low volume of running I do right now, I get minor pains and aches after running (but not usually during), and the day after that. Usually, by day 2 or 3, it feels good again. When I have tried longer runs, the recovery period is longer and the pain is increased.

It gets all kinds of achy if I sit in the car too long, especially if I ran the previous day.

It's been going on for 6 months already, including 2 months of not running at all in November and December. All that break did for me was give me temporary relief and take away a boatload of endurance.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

Unfortunately, most likely yes. It isn't healing that I can tell. The pain increases with running volume, and it sends out very sharp pains when my foot gets turned outward. Not if I just turn it, but if it drags on the ground and is turned outward, it hurts like hell.

At the low volume of running I do right now, I get minor pains and aches after running (but not usually during), and the day after that. Usually, by day 2 or 3, it feels good again. When I have tried longer runs, the recovery period is longer and the pain is increased.

It gets all kinds of achy if I sit in the car too long, especially if I ran the previous day.

It's been going on for 6 months already, including 2 months of not running at all in November and December. All that break did for me was give me temporary relief and take away a boatload of endurance.

I understand.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Pilates for an hour, then 4 miles on the TM to try my new turbine (ahem, fan).  Man, I felt like I was running with a headwind, ha.  400m accelerations at MP.  Lungs are coughing but survived.  Next week I'll try 800m accelerations.  I might not be able to run at MP for longer periods of time right now but I'll get there.

Damaris