Beginners and Beyond

Like Fuzzy, I too have my own Boston memories. (Read 182 times)

happylily

I was going to write a race report (I wrote one yesterday, but I lost it because of my damn computer), but now I am too conflicted about it. My experience in Boston was wonderful, like a dream come true, and I feel really guilty about it. I have gained a new level of love, respect and admiration for the United States and its people. I will forever be grateful to Bostonians for their hospitality and concern for my well-being after the events. My heart aches for the three victims who were cheering for me before their deaths. I feel it is wrong to write about my happy experience in the midst of all this sadness. I just wanted to say thank you to Boston, its citizens, the B.A.A. and Americans in general, for all the happiness you brought me during my race.

My sister-in-law and myself, standing right at the same spot where one of the explosions took place, the next day.

Two goofy Canadians in Boston.

Running strong with my amazing pacer

Still running strong, but only because of the AMAZING crowd. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you wonderful spectators!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Ball of Fury

Great, great pics HL!  You did such am amazing job and I hate that you have to feel guilty about being happy/proud of it!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Nevrgivup

Great pictures Lily! I love the floater while rounding the corner. You cruised to the finish line.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Beautiful photos, Julie!  And I love the one of you and TO in your street clothes.  Bright smiles Smile

Running is dumb.

Great photos Lily! I really do want to read RRs from you & the other Boston runners. For those of us who may never be able to qualify or otherwise have the opportunity to run Boston - it's the next best thing!

MTA: did not notice he floater till I saw someone else mention it -- you are FLYING!

Dave

StepbyStep-SH

What wonderful smiles! Lily, please try to remember those smiles, not the sadness, when you look back on this week.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Rondog65

Great photos, I agree that we should reflect on the good and positives of Marathon day.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Mmmmm...beer

Great pictures, and great race!  Definitely understand feeling conflicted, but as others have said, there's nothing wrong with feeling happy about the race and sad about the bombing.  They are separate incidents and your feelings for the race in no way diminish how you feel about the victims.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Those are some great pics, and I think its awesome that you had such a great race.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

flarunner

Great pictures, and great race!  Definitely understand feeling conflicted, but as others have said, there's nothing wrong with feeling happy about the race and sad about the bombing.  They are separate incidents and your feelings for the race in no way diminish how you feel about the victims.

+1 Couldn't have said it any better than this.

Great pictures! I'm very happy for you and the race you ran.

Each person will have differing opinions on how to deal with the day. No one is more right than anyone else. I find myself conflicted about last Monday. I am mourning the victims and have compassion for all those injured and affected by the attacks. I also choose to be proud of the fans, the volunteers and the runners and be happy about my race. And my respect for the medical personnel and law enforcement this week is off the charts.

You did a great job. I'm not going to tell you how you should feel but I don't think you need to feel guilty about your experience. Smile

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Wow... I am loving all the pictures from Boston. Just... Wow!

BruceD555

Awesome photos ... and nicely written sentiment (in spite of that Texas-French/Canadian accent).

Train smart ... race smarter.

Coastal

Great pictures.  Well stated sentiments.  Hope to read your full RR soon.

Please feel that you can enjoy your race.  That is what Boston is all about, a celebration of running.

YAYpril - B-Plus

You are adorable. I love the pictures. I hope you can keep your happy memories at the front of your brain. You deserve to have beautiful recollections of the day before the horror took place.

Big hugs.