Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #29 (Read 29 times)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Ha! Unfortunately, that means I have 2 marathon options and neither are desirable: SD RnR (IN JUNE) or Carlsbad in Jan which is rolling hills forever along the coast. I've done the HMs for both and they broke me.

Generally flat here in not sunny SE MI! 

sdWhiskers

Yes! San Diego is obviously a terrible place to live, because there aren’t enough marathons run there. 

Too warm for marathons here anyways

No photo description available.

DavePNW

The big one is RnR Seattle, which is super hilly and in June so likely warm. It’s a big event so might be fun if I didn’t GAF about my finish time, but I have yet to sign up for one with that in mind.

One option I’ve thought about for this is pacing. The running group I’ve hooked up with supplies pacers for both Seattle and RnR Seattle (bunch of other local races as well), so I could probably get in at some point. It would be tough to pace a hilly race, but with a pace band and potentially a more experienced co-pacer (they do it in pairs), maybe doable. They also split it up so you’re only pacing the first or second half.

Dave

onemile

One option I’ve thought about for this is pacing. The running group I’ve hooked up with supplies pacers for both Seattle and RnR Seattle (bunch of other local races as well), so I could probably get in at some point. It would be tough to pace a hilly race, but with a pace band and potentially a more experienced co-pacer (they do it in pairs), maybe doable. They also split it up so you’re only pacing the first or second half.

Pacing is fun. go for it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

To which FL says...hold my beer.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

My first marathon was only an hour away, so I could sleep in my own bed and eat food I was used to. I thought it was much less stressful that way. I've recommended to new runners that it can be easier to run a local race for your first rather than have to deal with logistics in a strange place on top of the stress of a long race, plus you can do some training runs there, which can be helpful on a hilly course. There are only two marathons that are an hour or so away. I've thought about the one in Harrisburg in November, but haven't done it yet.

sdWhiskers

To which FL says...hold my beer.

I lived in south FL for almost 5 years. I'm all good

onemile

I tried to go for a jog on Saturday. Calf is definitely fucked.  So I went to a PT yesterday for some dry needling. Now I can barely walk it hurts so bad. 

DavePNW

I did one that was only about 1:15 or so away, but got a hotel. It was a 7:00 start, plus point to point where you had to be bussed to the start. So it would have been a super early wakeup. For another one about the same distance away, I slept at home. But it was an 8:00 start and super easy park-right-near-the-start logistics.

Dave

Cyberic

Ran a workout.

3 x (2 km / 1 min) by feel. Pace by effort has gone down. About time I get back at it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm ok with traveling if it means I'm walking distance to the start. I'm not traveling for a race that requires extra travel race morning.  There is a cool sounding half and full in PA, 2+ hour drive,  but then you need to take a scenic train ride to the start/top of the mountain.  Yes, it's a cheater course.

onemile

I'm ok with traveling if it means I'm walking distance to the start. I'm not traveling for a race that requires extra travel race morning.  There is a cool sounding half and full in PA, 2+ hour drive,  but then you need to take a scenic train ride to the start/top of the mountain.  Yes, it's a cheater course.

so a race like Boston or CIM where you have to take a bus to the start is a no?

onemile

I did one that was only about 1:15 or so away, but got a hotel. It was a 7:00 start, plus point to point where you had to be bussed to the start. So it would have been a super early wakeup. For another one about the same distance away, I slept at home. But it was an 8:00 start and super easy park-right-near-the-start logistics.

I am kind of torn if it might be better to sleep in my own bed before Chicago... I never sleep well in a hotel anyway

bluerun

Super B****

Looks perfect to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

Pacing is fun. go for it.

It's fun unless nobody ends up wanting to run that pace...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog