Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #29 (Read 29 times)

bluerun

Super B****

My first marathon was only an hour away, so I could sleep in my own bed and eat food I was used to. I thought it was much less stressful that way. I've recommended to new runners that it can be easier to run a local race for your first rather than have to deal with logistics in a strange place on top of the stress of a long race, plus you can do some training runs there, which can be helpful on a hilly course. There are only two marathons that are an hour or so away. I've thought about the one in Harrisburg in November, but haven't done it yet.

This is another biggie for me. It's not like I can just pop into whatever restaurant I feel like (not that I'd be comfortable with that anyway). I don't care that much about it if it's a half marathon, which is just one of many reasons I wouldn't do the full in Jerusalem!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

so a race like Boston or CIM where you have to take a bus to the start is a no?

If I somehow were to BQ, I'd make an exception.

CIM I would consider because of the time difference.  When we went to CA a few years ago,  we were up at 6am. Basically,  I'm not getting up at 4am for a race.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm ok with traveling if it means I'm walking distance to the start. I'm not traveling for a race that requires extra travel race morning.  There is a cool sounding half and full in PA, 2+ hour drive,  but then you need to take a scenic train ride to the start/top of the mountain.  Yes, it's a cheater course.

This is a good point. There are some races that appeal to me, but to travel there, and then have to travel MORE to get to the race... such a headache.

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

I am kind of torn if it might be better to sleep in my own bed before Chicago... I never sleep well in a hotel anyway

Yeah tough call on that one. If you slept at home, would you take the Metra? My understanding is they have special race-day schedules and you can pick it up at Kenosha; seems like a reasonable option but maybe you know people who have done it.

Dave

DavePNW

It's fun unless nobody ends up wanting to run that pace...

Well less pressure then anyway.

Dave

onemile

Yeah tough call on that one. If you slept at home, would you take the Metra? My understanding is they have special race-day schedules and you can pick it up at Kenosha; seems like a reasonable option but maybe you know people who have done it.

I could or have Mr. O drive me and drop me near the start. He would do that if I asked.

sdWhiskers

CIM I would consider because of the time difference.  When we went to CA a few years ago,  we were up at 6am. Basically,  I'm not getting up at 4am for a race.

As someone who also avoids races with stressful logistics, CIM was super straightforward. I stayed at a hotel that was half block from the shuttle and didn't get up any earlier than I usually do (but I am normally an early riser)

Races like NYC would kill me. Combine the time change (in the wrong direction) with unfamiliar public transportation...my HR is increasing just thinking about it!

DavePNW

Well you are def not a morning person compared to some of the folks here.

Extra race-morning hassle is not really a factor to me, other than as a possible consideration when choosing between races. Assuming I’m willing to spend the money to get to the race, not much compares to course flatness & likelihood of cool weather as decision points.

Dave

DavePNW

I could or have Mr. O drive me and drop me near the start. He would do that if I asked.

He’s a keeper! I was just thinking that anticipating traffic and road closings on race morning is just one more thing, especially in a place like Chicago, and would probably raise my stress level.

Dave

onemile

I get up at 4am just to drink my coffee and eat my breakfast for a 7am race

onemile

He’s a keeper! I was just thinking that anticipating traffic and road closings on race morning is just one more thing, especially in a place like Chicago, and would probably raise my stress level.

yeah that's why I booked a hotel. I don't need extra anxiety.

DavePNW

As someone who also avoids races with stressful logistics, CIM was super straightforward. I stayed at a hotel that was half block from the shuttle and didn't get up any earlier than I usually do (but I am normally an early riser)

Races like NYC would kill me. Combine the time change (in the wrong direction) with unfamiliar public transportation...my HR is increasing just thinking about it!

How long was the shuttle ride to the start of CIM?

NYC I’d think is the king of logistical nightmares, and I’m sure I would not be super excited about it. But 50k runners figure it out every year, so I’m sure I’d be able to manage. I was not looking forward to that part of Boston morning, but for iconic races like that I think it just becomes part of the memorable experience. In either case it’s tough to go in thinking you’re going to have an optimum race performance.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

The only thing that I find annoying about NYC is the long wait in the athletes village. But other than that, it's a dream for me -- I'm already here so I don't have to bankrupt myself paying for a hotel, my team has a bus to the village so I don't need to worry about how to get there, I get to sleep in my own bed... all good!

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

I get up at 4am just to drink my coffee and eat my breakfast for a 7am race

Yep, not unusual. All depends on how far away it is. But for any race regardless the distance, I allow myself at least 45 min before leaving the house, and try to get there at least 1 hr before the start.

Dave

Cyberic

I get up at 4am just to drink my coffee and eat my breakfast and have plenty of time for bowel movement for a 7am race

FYP.