Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #29 (Read 29 times)

Cyberic

For me it is 3 hours before race start, but also needs to be 2 hours before I leave my house/hotel room, so if there's lots of logistics (like taking a bus) before race start, I will wake up 4-5 hours before race start if needed. I really don't want the PM to hit me during the race, on the bus ride, and ideally not even in the PoP lines. I don't mind peeing in the PoP, but, you know...

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Looks perfect to me 🤷🏻‍♀️

To me, too.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

FYP.

and peeing. I have to do a lot of peeing after drinking my coffee as well

Cyberic

and peeing. I have to do a lot of peeing after drinking my coffee as well

Same here. But it doesn't stress me as much.

Half Crazy K 2.0

As someone who also avoids races with stressful logistics, CIM was super straightforward. I stayed at a hotel that was half block from the shuttle and didn't get up any earlier than I usually do (but I am normally an early riser)

Races like NYC would kill me. Combine the time change (in the wrong direction) with unfamiliar public transportation...my HR is increasing just thinking about it!

NYC just sounds awful.  And the ferry is definitely not option for me.

Mr. HCK  requested races in Bahamas,  San Juan (pre earthquakes) or Malibu. I don't think he gets how the weather in those places isn't conducive to running.  Maybe I could convince him for CIM if it involved a longer trip to SoCal.

bluerun

Super B****

Mr. HCK  requested races in Bahamas,  San Juan (pre earthquakes) or Malibu. I don't think he gets how the weather in those places isn't conducive to running.  Maybe I could convince him for CIM if it involved a longer trip to SoCal.

I considered doing a Divas half there... but really, it was more about looking for an excuse to go dive

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

FYP.

Yeah the two main stress points for any race are 1. Parking and 2. Bathroom issues. Often I know what the situation with #1 will be like, plus once it’s done, it’s done. You’re often not quite sure whether #2 is completely done. (SWIDT)

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yeah the two main stress points for any race are 1. Parking and 2. Bathroom issues. Often I know what the situation with #1 will be like, plus once it’s done, it’s done. You’re often not quite sure whether #2 is completely done. (SWIDT)

Parking and the general transportation.  Nothing like trying to get 1000+ people into a park with 1 entrance.

bluerun

Super B****

The size of the race is important, too -- I don't like massive ones (says the person who is running Boston and NYC this year), but if it's too small and you end up running alone, that's not good either. You need a Goldilocks race.

chasing the impossible

onemile

I really didn't find NYC to be so awful. It is really comparable to Boston logistics-wise

onemile

The size of the race is important, too -- I don't like massive ones (says the person who is running Boston and NYC this year), but if it's too small and you end up running alone, that's not good either. You need a Goldilocks race.

yeah the size of races like Houston, IMM, CIM are ideal to me. Medium sized.

bluerun

Super B****

yeah the size of races like Houston, IMM, CIM are ideal to me. Medium sized.

I feel like I only do huge or tiny marathons

chasing the impossible

onemile

I feel like I only do huge or tiny marathons

Mine have ranged from <1000 to 50,000 and I think around 5,000 is the sweet spot

bluerun

Super B****

Mine have ranged from <1000 to 50,000 and I think around 5,000 is the sweet spot

Besides NYC and Boston, mostly mine are in the 300-700 range. I don't actually mind the size, I think that's fine... it's just that with the spread of paces, I end up alone. It wasn't an issue with my first marathon because it was a loop course, but that has its own drawbacks. (Actually, my last marathon was the smallest, and also the fastest. So maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.)

chasing the impossible

onemile

Besides NYC and Boston, mostly mine are in the 300-700 range. I don't actually mind the size, I think that's fine... it's just that with the spread of paces, I end up alone. It wasn't an issue with my first marathon because it was a loop course, but that has its own drawbacks. (Actually, my last marathon was the smallest, and also the fastest. So maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.)

I think it definitely helps having people to run with. The fact that you did well without that doesn't mean it wouldn't have helped