Beginners and Beyond

I know my days of outdoor runs are numbered, but today, I just had to have one (Read 114 times)

Just B.S.

Just a light flurry.  It's infuriating that Buffalo is seemingly labeled on any map relating to snow, even if we're not getting the brunt of it. 

Same for us Jay we are in the same weather band, 3-6 hardly seems worth talking about. Smile

Little Blue

Same for us Jay we are in the same weather band, 3-6 hardly seems worth talking about. Smile

OK, I'm going to veer LRB's thread off-topic for a second to ask a question.  This is directed at those of you "up North".  I recently asked my DH, when did it get to be national news that NY or Buffalo or Boston got snow in the winter?  It seems like lately, 6" of snow in the northeast is a huge catastrophe.

I grew up in NE Ohio (Akron), and when we got 6" of snow overnight, schools were delayed for 2 hours while they plowed the roads.  Life went on.  What now seems to be a trend of naming snow storms used to be called "winter."  Or am I just ancient?

/end veer.  Please return to LRB's thread topic

LRB

OK, I'm going to veer LRB's thread off-topic for a second to ask a question.  This is directed at those of you "up North".  I recently asked my DH, when did it get to be national news that NY or Buffalo or Boston got snow in the winter?  It seems like lately, 6" of snow in the northeast is a huge catastrophe.

Or, when did they start naming winter snow storms?  I lol'd when someone referred to "winter storm Krystal" a couple weeks ago!

Hip Redux

I grew up in NE Ohio (Akron), and when we got 6" of snow overnight, schools were delayed for 2 hours while they plowed the roads.  Life went on.  What now seems to be a trend of naming snow storms used to be called "winter."  Or am I just ancient?

It's gotten really bad lately - I don't know what's up.  We live in New England, it snows, why is this such a big deal?  OK, if it's going to snow 2 feet, then let's get crazy.

The Weather Channel started naming winter storms... and our local stations are now naming snow storms too... but NO ONE uses the same names. Great. So the last Storm Ashford according to the local NBC affiliate was Storm Electra with the Weather Channel. WHY? WHY? WHY?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Lol. Guess what DW and I are drinking right now?

I seem to remember getting 2-3 snow days some years, none other years, and occasionally more in awful winters.  (Blizzard of '85 was like 3 off in a row, really unheard of but there were constant whiteout conditions from high wind.  The actual snowfall wasn't unusually severe.  Us kids went sledding on the drifts -- some were 10-12' high with other spots blown down to bare grass.)

As an adult, this was one of the worst I have been in, complete with thunder and lightning.   3+ inches an hour made shoveling futile, and the plows had no chance of keeping even the Thruway clear.  Lots of people got stranded in their cars there.  I made it to work the next morning, but only after digging/rocking my car out twice in my apartment's parking lot -- once I got to the plowed road, it was fine.

LRB

Well, it is Wednesday so Imma guess Bloody Marys?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Spicy ones!!! Smile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It's not so much the snow that bugs me, it's the ice that sometimes comes with it and the crazy ass drivers.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Baboon

delicate flower

You ever feel like that?  Where you just have to get out and run, obstacles be damned?  Or am I just an oddball?   

I ain't running in that schit.

<3

LRB

happylily

Sorry to say this, but the news sucks in the US. Navel gazing and weather drama is all that we get on any American/Canadian network. I've been watching European news since we cancelled our satellite subscription. I lost Canadian and American channels, but I've gained a new perspective on what's happening outside of North America. And it's quite interesting, trust me. Of course, I get no football, so not sure you people could live with that. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I run 100% of my miles outside.  No excuses except for tornadoes and lightning.

Running is dumb.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I actually did that on Sunday.  I had 9 miles planned, it was lousy outside, and I didn't feel like running on the treadmill.  The rain wasn't bad when I first set out, but I was SOAKED by the time I was done.  I was cold and miserable by the time I got home, but I'm glad I got out there and ran.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Someone's in Laughlin!!!

But it's probably a wee bit cold even out there.  I once did a jet-ski trip from the Riverside down to Needles in early February.  It rained on us & was about 40 degrees outside.  We froze our gnads off!!!

True story!!

Randy