Beginners and Beyond

Marathon Training and Weight Gain (Read 110 times)

You Rang?

I have read in this form and elsewhere that people training for a marathon, particularly their first marathon tend to gain weight.  My understanding is that the trainee’s thinking goes something like this:  Look at all the extra miles I’m running.  I can eat anything I want! And the overeating begins.   Anyone experience this? OK anyone willing to admit to experiencing this?

Another thought is that the weight gain is actually increased muscle mass from the increased running and not fat.  If the number on a scale is not a good way to measure physical changes as a result of marathon training, anybody have any suggestions of another measure?

In September, I’ll start training for my first marathon.  I really don’t want to gain any weight.  In fact I’ve got about 20 lbs of fat I’d like to part company with.

Anybody have any advice as to how to both train for a marathon and lose fat?

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Rick - I'm finishing my ninth week of twenty-four week marathon training program.  With tomorrow's long run, the week will have 40 miles.  Since I've started the training , I've lost about 2 pounds but the weight fluctuates.   However, I believe the weight has transformed into less fat than previously since shirts and pants fit much better.

In addition, lately in the office of about 300 people, it seems twice a week someone in the office inquires "are you dieting?".  I'm not really. Just running more and trying to eat more fruit and less sweet snacks during the week.  Also in the evening instead of ice cream, I opt for Greek yogurt.  Just my story, hope it helps.

Also, I drink lots of water at work and at home  which seems to lessen the appetite.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

SheCan

I can only tell you what I've experienced.  With my marathon's while I'm training I get very, very, very hungry.  I eat a lot, generally losing a bit of weight, but when I need to take take time off from training, or start tapering, that's when I start gaining it back.  Then after the race, i put on a few pounds extra--- the first marathon was the most-- that I eventually end up having to diet off.  With experience, i've learned that I have to watch my eating once I start tapering, and after the race is over, but still it's hard.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've gained weight during all of my marathon trainings, for some reason.  I don't look bigger but the scale says otherwise.  My clothes fit the same though, except the day post long run, in which I'm a bit swollen from water retention or muscle soreness.

The more I run the more I weigh.  When I go on vacation and don't run, I usually lose 5lbs in two weeks even though I am usually eating like a pig.  Not sure if I am the norm but that has been my experience.

Damaris

happylily

These days, after 5 years of running, and when I'm not injured, a small week (like a vacation week, or a recovery week) will be 30-35 miles. A high mileage week in training will be 85 miles and all my marathon training weeks will be in the 55-85 mile range. When I'm running small weeks, my weight goes up to about 108 lbs. When I'm training, it starts going down, slowly, until it hits 102 lbs, and stays there until taper. Then it goes up by about 2 lbs (which is good. I need the extra energy in me). I don't have much fluctuation, because I'm short and I don't have much weight to lose to start with. I don't count calories and never have at any moment in my life. But my guess is that I have always eaten about the same number of calories, ever since I was 14 years old... It's my level of activity that will determine if I lose or gain weight.

Personally, I do not think it's a good thing, or an inevitable thing, to gain weight while marathon training. Yes, my legs will get harder, more muscles, etc... and yes, maybe I eat a tad more. But as a whole, you will be burning way more energy than usual and you should try to stick to your usual diet. This way, you will end up losing weight, which will help you come race day.

I also view food differently during training. I look at it as fuel, not so much as a reward. Do I need a donut after a long run? No. I need a slice of cheddar cheese and an apple. It makes the whole experience of training so much more meaningful if you eat in the same way as you train. By that I mean carefully, intelligently and honestly.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Google "weight gain with endurance training" - tons of similar stories.   It usually comes down to over-judging (or listening to the garmin) how many calories you actually burn and overeating.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I wish it was as simple as this in my case.  I do have to take into consideration the medication.  I have not gain anything on this training cycle but I'm no longer using albuterol so that could be a factor for me.

Google "weight gain with endurance training" - tons of similar stories.   It usually comes down to over-judging (or listening to the garmin) how many calories you actually burn and overeating.

Damaris

Hip Redux

Of course, assuming no medical issues/medications, etc that is what happens,  BUT obviously, individual cases vary depending.

I wish it was as simple as this in my case.  I do have to take into consideration the medication.  I have not gain anything on this training cycle but I'm no longer using albuterol so that could be a factor for me.

happylily

D., yours is a special case, yes. But there is no reason why Lurch should accept a weight gain in training if he thinks he's already 20 lbs overweight. Too often people think it's ok to over-eat when they are in training. It's the opposite, they should be extra careful about what they eat. And the huge muscle gain is a myth. Sure, you can weigh a bit more due to being a tad more muscular, but not a whole lot more. If you're not a bit muscular in the legs to start with, then you should not think of running a marathon, right?

It reminds me of pregnant women who claim they have to eat for two and then they allow themselves to gain 60 lbs or more when they only need a 20-27 lbs gain to bring a healthy baby to life. A marathon is like a baby. Eat right, not too much, sleep well and train well and you'll have a strong and healthy marathon. coochie coochie cooo.... look at my little marathon! Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

One of the things I realized was that all calculators were wrong about my calories burned.  I burn 85 calories per mile, not 100-120.  So Lurch could be over estimating the calories burned.  I find that a calories burned by HR equation is more accurate for me.

Damaris

happylily

I don't use anything to keep track of anything. I find that most people who insist on using those calculators are usually never happy with their weight. It seems like a constant battle for them. A person should know what is too much food for their needs. They should know if they can afford to eat dessert or not. If I go to bed not feeling stuffed or not feeling hungry, I ate just right. During marathon training, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I will usually be starving and I start dreaming about breakfast. That's when my weight loss starts happening for me, but it's a slow process, and not a huge weight loss.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You're right.

My battle is more with eating enough v. too much.  Most of the time I don't eat enough and that's when I gain weight.  But sometimes I come back from a 13 miler at 8pm and cook dinner and barely eat.  I just need to make sure to eat enough calories after my runs.  Which is why I count calories.

Damaris

happylily

You're right.

My battle is more with eating enough v. too much.  Most of the time I don't eat enough and that's when I gain weight.  But sometimes I come back from a 13 miler at 8pm and cook dinner and barely eat.  I just need to make sure to eat enough calories after my runs.  Which is why I count calories.

Yes, I find eating supper after a run very difficult as well. It must be worse in your case because you eat so late. I'd say your metabolism is probably out of whack. Maybe because of the medication? Or something hormonal? It's not normal to not eat a lot and still gain weight. Sounds like water retention, or something like that...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have not gained this time around, so I am good. I actually have not gained anything since becoming a vegetarian in April 2012, so I'm good this time around.  I just cannot lose anymore but for some reason people keep telling me I look like I've lost 10 lbs.  I am actually the heaviest numberwise but the smallest sizewise.  Weird, right?

Which only proves everybody is different.  I would go with how the clothes fit and how you feel rather than a number.

Damaris

Hip Redux

Muscle is more dense than fat.  (and before anyone says it - no, it does not weigh more, a pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle, it just takes up less space)   So you can technically weigh more but be a smaller size.  However, that really only happens to a point - you can only gain so much muscle if you aren't actively engaged in a muscle-building program.  And running isn't really a great way of gaining muscle mass beyond the initial 'getting in shape' phase.  (meaning, the scale should start to move if you have weight to lose - no longer gaining muscle/losing fat sorta thing)