Beginners and Beyond

10K race recap - Old Wethersfield (Read 69 times)

delicate flower

Results from my 10K this morning:

42:52 (24 second PR)

67/615 OA

50/270 Male

8/40 M40-44

I was hoping I'd run this one faster.  I was pacing off a couple of my friends who were shooting for a 6:45 pace, which would get me under 42 minutes.  I felt fine for the first two miles, going at a good clip and feeling ok.  I started to fatigue a little in mile three and held it together through mile four.  I just could not hold the pace beyond that.  Weather was good for racing.  Clear, 60 degrees with 95% humidity.  My legs felt ok, but there was definitely some marathon training fatigue to push through (coming off a 55 mile week and on pace for a PR mileage month).

1- 6:36

2- 6:39

3- 6:50

4- 6:45

5- 6:59

6- 7:03

6.2- 7:21

My Garmin has the race at 6.28 miles.  This was some sort of local 10K championship event, so the field was fast (31:39 for the winner).

I've got a HM in three weeks.  McMillan puts me in the 1:36 area, which is slower than my PR.  Not sure I'm buying that, as I think I am in better shape for a HM or FM right now as opposed to the 5K/10K.  I'm always happy to PR a race, so I'm ok with this.  I think the track workouts are helping my overall speed and conditioning, as my 8+ mile training runs are faster than ever now.  It would have been nice to run this about a minute faster though.  I'll still be gunning for that HM PR in three weeks.  My two pace rabbits finished around 41:30, so I am happy for them.

Eggs, french toast, bacon, sausage, coffee for replenishment.

<3

Zelanie

Nice job!  Although you moved miles around a bit this week, you are still coming off some tough training, and still ended up with a PR.  Congrats!

happylily

Congrats on the PR!

You ran that 10k a little slower in comparison to your last 5k. It will be interesting to see what you do in the upcoming HM. If it is barely in line, or slower, than your 10k equivalent, you might want to re-think your marathon goal. Going out too fast in the marathon will kill you.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nice PR!

Yeah a sub-42 may have been a bit too much to ask for, sticking this right in the middle of marathon training. I know you took a very slight cutback this week, you did the right thing not doing any more than that, keeping your eyes on the prize.

Well done.

Dave

delicate flower

Zelanie, Lily, Dave:  Thanks!

Congrats on the PR!

You ran that 10k a little slower in comparison to your last 5k. It will be interesting to see what you do in the upcoming HM. If it is barely in line, or slower, than your 10k equivalent, you might want to re-think your marathon goal. Going out too fast in the marathon will kill you.

The HM that's coming up is really just to see where I am right now and it is a PR course.  I've still got three months to figure out and train for the marathon.  I have another HM six weeks before the marathon that will really give me a good idea about marathon pacing.

<3

happylily

Zelanie, Lily, Dave:  Thanks!

The HM that's coming up is really just to see where I am right now and it is a PR course.  I've still got three months to figure out and train for the marathon.  I have another HM six weeks before the marathon that will really give me a good idea about marathon pacing.

Good. Three months is still enough time for improvement. For now, be careful not to run your training paces based on your ultimate goal if your present fitness does not support it. Been there, done that. Not a good idea.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Thanks for the pics, Oski!  Big grin

Rare floater.  I shuffle too much to float.

HOORAY exercise!

<3

Hip Redux

That will be $45.99 please.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, congrats!!

Damaris

LRB

Where is your singlet yo? 

And why are your shorts so long, and snug...

LRB

For now, be careful not to run your training paces based on your ultimate goal if your present fitness does not support it. Been there, done that. Not a good idea.

What is the maximum amount of time you would set aside for training at goal marathon pace (that's GMP for my main man Cy) before adjusting that goal?

LRB

1- 6:36

2- 6:39

3- 6:50

4- 6:45

5- 6:59

6- 7:03

6.2- 7:21

Why you no kick?  Thinking about your race report?  lol

That is an impressive set of splits coming so soon after a 5k!  I am sure you would have liked to have held it together a bit more but 10k's are no fuckin joke yo!

That is a really solid workout, one that you might feel for the next few days...or maybe not given your seemingly endless supply of energy.  lol

At this point in your training I believe you are playing with the house's money and as long as you set realistic goals you should arrive at your ultimate marathon pace without too much guesswork.

Congrats man, you put up a great fuckin show! 

For now, be careful not to run your training paces based on your ultimate goal if your present fitness does not support it. Been there, done that. Not a good idea.

OK, dumb question. What happens if you do? Asking for a friend.

Dave

delicate flower

At this point in your training I believe you are playing with the house's money and as long as you set realistic goals you should arrive at your ultimate marathon pace without too much guesswork.

Huh...that is a sharp observation and probably pretty accurate.

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Good job Baboon.

solid effort and 24 seconds PR

cool!