Beginners and Beyond

Ritz out at Boston, Hall in (Read 77 times)

LRB

A handful of withdrawals and additions to the men’s elite field at the 2014 Boston Marathon were announced on Monday. American Dathan Ritzenhein, who was to be making his Boston debut, has pulled out of the race due to injury.

“I am very disappointed to withdraw from this year’s Boston Marathon,” Ritzenhein said in a release. “A groin injury this winter has kept me from doing the training it takes to run with the best in the world. April 21st will be a show of strength and community after last year’s events and I wanted so badly to be part of that. But I am resilient and will be back.”

Ryan Hall, who finished third at Boston in 2009 and fourth in both 2010 and 2011 (when he clocked 2:04:58, the fastest marathon time ever run by an American), will compete at the Boston Marathon for the fourth time in his career, it was also announced on Monday.

“I am incredibly excited to participate in this year’s Boston Marathon,” Hall said. “After watching the tragic events that unfolded at last year’s race and knowing the resilience of both the running and Boston communities, I knew this year’s race was going to be a run of redemption that I am eager to be a part of. This year’s race will undoubtedly be the most historically significant marathon in Boston’s storied history.”

American Abdi Abdirahman, a four-time Olympian and top-5 finisher at both the Chicago and New York City Marathons with a personal best of 2:08:56, will make his Boston Marathon debut seven weeks from now. Matthew Bowen, husband of 2012 Boston Marathon champion Sharon Cherop who owns a 2:10:57 personal best, will also be making his first Boston appearance at this year’s race.

“It has been a dream of mine to run the Boston Marathon,” says Abdirahman. “There is so much history behind the race and I’m glad to be to be part of it this year.”

Also withdrawing from the race is Kenyan Moses Mosop, who ran 2:03:06 to finish second at Boston in 2011, as well as last year’s eighth-place finisher, Jeffrey Hunt. “I am sorry I can’t compete in the Boston Marathon this year,” Mosop said. “Boston has a special place in my heart and deserves my best. Due to a knee injury my training has suffered and I am not at the top of my game, yet. I hope to join the Boston Marathon next year, as watching this race is not what I am about.”

From Competitor

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ya, I saw Ritz' withdraw on Ryan Hall's twitter page.  However, I failed to notice that Hall was gonna run it, but I'm glad he is.

FINALLY, a marathon after his olympic debacle.

I am excited to see what he can do cuz I know he loves Boston!!

Come on tail wind! 

Randy

RSX

Abdi and Hall were supposed to run it last year but pulled out. I was psyched when I heard this. 1 of my friends saw Desi Davila on the course last week.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I stinks that Dathan isn't running it. He's awesome, and we need all of the elite US men that we can muster.

It's great that Ryan is running it. Hopefully he turns a corner in his career. He's been hampered by injuries in recent years and he doesn't have a good quality win recently.

- Andrew

RSX

I stinks that Dathan isn't running it. He's awesome, and we need all of the elite US men that we can muster.

It's great that Ryan is running it. Hopefully he turns a corner in his career. He's been hampered by injuries in recent years and he doesn't have a good quality win recently.

Jason Hartman is also running it. He has finished 4th twice here but everyone forgets about him.

Love the Half

Yeah, and I don't expect him to be getting a win here either.  The reality is that there are no Americans competing on the level of the East Africans.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Jason Hartman is also running it. He has finished 4th twice here but everyone forgets about him.

I'll definitely have to watch for him. Seems like a very competitive field at the top.

- Andrew

RSX

I'll definitely have to watch for him. Seems like a very competitive field at the top.

It's great that so many elites are coming back. 5 of the 6 US Olympians will be here. Davila lost by 2 seconds a few years ago. I hope she is 100%

It's great that so many elites are coming back. 5 of the 6 US Olympians will be here. Davila lost by 2 seconds a few years ago. I hope she is 100%

+1.

Hartman's PR is in the 2:11-2:12 range I believe. I don't think those that follow marathons forget about him it's just there are dozens of East Africans that are faster.

I'd really like to see Rupp train for a marathon right now. Not sure where Hall's fitness and head are at these days but it would be nice to see him have a good race again.

#artbydmcbride

Meb Keflezighi is in!!

Runners run

RSX

+1.

Hartman's PR is in the 2:11-2:12 range I believe. I don't think those that follow marathons forget about him it's just there are dozens of East Africans that are faster.

I'd really like to see Rupp train for a marathon right now. Not sure where Hall's fitness and head are at these days but it would be nice to see him have a good race again.

His PR is 2:11:06. 4th twice here the last 2 years (his only Boston finishes) is still impressive. 2 years ago the temp was in the 80's, and last year maybe it was a tactical race but he still hung in there. He hasn't fared well at Chicago or the US Trials in comparison so maybe this course just works for him.

I want to see Rupp here but after the 2016 Olympics. He has raced here 3 times already this year, so it might not be a stretch for him to want to come back to Boston at some point. Mo Farah here would be interesting.

My hunch is that the next US winner here will be a woman.

My hunch is that the next US winner here will be a woman.

I agree.

I remember Hartmann in 2012. That was a really nice race for him. Also my one and only trip to a med tent after a race. That day was brutal.

RSX

I agree.

I remember Hartmann in 2012. That was a really nice race for him. Also my one and only trip to a med tent after a race. That day was brutal.

I watched a clock in Wellesley that year. A few people almost ran right into it. 1 guy I literally got in front of the clock with my hands up talking to him, and he came within a foot of me. He said that he was okay, but I doubt he made it to Newton. A # of folks asked where the nearest med area was.

I watched a clock in Wellesley that year. A few people almost ran right into it. 1 guy I literally got in front of the clock with my hands up talking to him, and he came within a foot of me. He said that he was okay, but I doubt he made it to Newton. A # of folks asked where the nearest med area was.

I finished, got my medal, some Gatorade, chips, etc. and made my way to the drop bag buses. I sat down on the curb to collect my thoughts and watched two med personnel help another runner who was having issues.

I was thinking I'm glad I'm not him when I stood up to leave and got light-headed and I began to feel nauseous. Then I learned that vomiting in front of medical personnel after a marathon gets you a free wheelchair ride to the med tent. Smile

LRB

Davila lost by 2 seconds a few years ago. I hope she is 100%

She was running at Stoney today dressed like an Eskimo, poor thing. lol

We ran past each other three times on the loop, one of which was across a stretch of crunchy ice/snow.  Listening to her foot falls as she approached and faded into the distance was majestic, so damn smooth and rhythmic.