Beginners and Beyond

Le Tour de France (Read 75 times)

Hip Redux

YOU GUYS, I just realized that the final stage in Paris is the same day as the San Francisco marathon (my husband is running).  Anyone know of a place in the city I could go watch??   What's the protocol here, am I still obliged to wait for my husband if the TdF is heading towards the Champs-Elysees?

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

YOU GUYS, I just realized that the final stage in Paris is the same day as the San Francisco marathon (my husband is running).  Anyone know of a place in the city I could go watch??   What's the protocol here, am I still obliged to wait for my husband if the TdF is heading towards the Champs-Elysees?

How many marathons has he ran?

- Andrew

Hip Redux

How many marathons has he ran?

I think this will be his 7th.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I think this will be his 7th.

Old hat. I don't think it's any problem if you're not there. Smile FWIW, my wife only went to my first marathon.

- Andrew

The last stage is typically a ceremonial ride anyway. At least for the yellow jersey. There is always the obligatory shot of the leader and his team drinking champagne and smiling to the camera. It is cool to see the winner finish but honestly there is no real drama except for the sprint finish.

Having said that, I'm sure there are many places to watch it. It's been a couple years since I've been in the city. Have you checked the potential finishing time of your husband vs. the expected finish time of the TdF? Maybe you can catch both.

Hip Redux

The last stage is typically a ceremonial ride anyway. At least for the yellow jersey. There is always the obligatory shot of the leader and his team drinking champagne and smiling to the camera. It is cool to see the winner finish but honestly there is no real drama except for the sprint finish.

Having said that, I'm sure there are many places to watch it. It's been a couple years since I've been in the city. Have you checked the potential finishing time of your husband vs. the expected finish time of the TdF? Maybe you can catch both.

Haven't yet.  I actually think his wave starts at 5:45am or something crazy, so you're right we may be able to catch both.

I know it is ceremonial but it's one of my favorite stages!  So cool to see them flying to the finish.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Froome injury report

Broken left wrist AND bones broken in his right hand.

He basically was struggling to hold the handlebars, which in the rain just led to more issues. He would never have survived the cobbles in that state. News leaking out of the Sky camp basically admits they knew he was toast the day before, which is why Thomas (and Eisel) were told to look after Richie Porte and what a job they (but especially G)  did of that.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hip Redux

Yeah, can you imagine riding the cobbles with two broken wrists??

And what exactly was the team plan yesterday with BMC?  Uhhhhh.

catwhoorg

Labrat

And now Contador is out. Nasty crash today.

This tour is memorable, but for all the wrong reasons.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Love the Half

What a great ride by Nibali today.  Just fantastic.  Lance once said that the GC winner ought to win at least one stage and that's exactly what Nibali did today.  He also looked a lot like the Lance of old when he was dancing on the pedals and putting time on the rest of the GC competitors.  Great race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

No Cavendish, no Contador, no Froome.... big names, all out.  Crazy stuff.

I guess Astana figured with Contador out, it was ok to take back the yellow early.   Nibali went past Rodriguez like he was standing still on that hill.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Wow, Nibali put on a clinic at the end.

- Andrew

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Amazing that Contador was still riding with a broken tibia.  Just goes to show how tough these guys are.

I definitely wish he hadn't crashed out cuz I think a battle between he and Nibali would have been great to watch but as Horner said today......"It's over!".

Still, somebody could rise up & even Nibali isn't immune to bad luck, but he sure is riding strong!

Randy

Love the Half

That's a good point redrum.  It's not like Contador was riding badly or dangerously.  His bike frame cracked and that's what caused his crash.  There is a certain amount of luck involved in winning the TDF.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

That's a good point redrum.  It's not like Contador was riding badly or dangerously.  His bike frame cracked and that's what caused his crash.  There is a certain amount of luck involved in winning the TDF.

Tinkoff had an update on their Facebook page that said that the crack in Contador's frame was caused when another vehicle hit it when it was on the rack on top of the car. They said it's impossible (sort of a stretch to use the term, IMO) for a frame like his to be cracked when riding over a hole or bump or something similar.

- Andrew