Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins are clearly sleeping in!! (Read 28 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Seriously, I'm starting the thread at 9:50?  Y'all must still be in bed!!  Well, after a major weekend of singing, my brain is still full!!  I got a lot of tips and advice, now it's just a matter of implementing until it's second nature.  Fun fun!  I think DH and Dusty and I will restart C25k (again) tonight, now that I have good knee drugs.  I have an incredibly tender lymph node on the back of my neck, though, so I may be coming down with something.  I guess I'll wait and see ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

I guess some penguins have today off as a holiday or are recouping from races!

I am at work and today is my SRD. I did order some new Kinvara 4's so I did something running oriented!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  SRD for me.

Not sure if everyone heard (I wrote it in FB) but I DNFd Chicago due to some psoas issues.  It bothered me since the start and by Mile 8 it was walk to finish or quit, so I quit by mile 11 (near a metro stop for hubby to come pick me up).  The psoas feels much better today but I am giving it a few days of rest before running.

Hope, maybe everybody is asleep still?  Isn't this a holiday?  I am not sure since I'm still not working, grrr.

Gustav, enjoy your SRD.

Damaris

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

HopesMom -  it's always good to get usefully advice. For my own singing I have been wondering if there is a set point or note to go from chest voice to head voice - or is it a variable range of notes where either voice could be used.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Damaris - sorry to hear about the DNFSad!

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Good luck today, HsM!

I will probably run a bit after work to see how the legs feel.

Zelanie

Damaris- I'm sorry to hear that yesterday wasn't your day.  Glad you didn't make things worse by limping along in that situation.  Your training has gone so well, I'm sure you have a great marathon coming up soon!

obiebyke

HopesMom--C25K rocks. I've done it several times. Blush

Damaris--You still put in a run yesterday. Way to go listening to your body instead of ignoring it and letting something worse happen.

Planning a run today, 3-5 miles in the rain if I can make it out there. I have somewhere to be at 7 and I'd like to be fed before then, so we'll see what I can squeeze in!

MTA: No day off for me, which is actually okay with me. Anyone read the Oatmeal on Columbus? So good.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom -  it's always good to get usefully advice. For my own singing I have been wondering if there is a set point or note to go from chest voice to head voice - or is it a variable range of notes where either voice could be used.

It depends on your personal range, and it'll be different for every person.  You'll never use completely chest voice or completely head voice, you'll always have a mix.  But lower notes have to be placed more forward, higher notes need more space and resonance.  When you hit the middle of your range, it'll be about an equal mix of head and chest.

Yay, someone to talk about geeky singing stuff with!!

hog4life

I'm working too, the only holiday we shut down for is Christmas. I'll do a few easy tonight with the NOBO class, if I get time, I'll try to squeeze in 5 or so.

Damaris, sorry again about the DNF, I'm sure mine is coming, but I hope it's not my debut full.

PADRunner

Morning all. 4 easy for me this morning. Light mist/rain but it felt good running in it.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

D: what a bummer. Sorry for my ignorance, but what are psoas?

hi everyone. SRD for me.  Gotta go.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

This is going to be a frantic week, but I want to stop in a bit from time to time.

Docket - I was really surprised to hear about the DNF, but you're smart.  You register for and run a lot of marathons.  No need to jeopardize your half a dozen upcoming races for this one.  I say, good call.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Jack, the psoas is a muscle that goes from the hip flexor all the way down your pelvis and down the quads.  It hurt and was inflamed yesterday, also swelling my quads and ITB in the process.  Not super painful but enough for me to slow down and realize not to push.

Awood, that was exactly what I was thinking when I decided to stop. I have 5 other marathons in 2013 and I didn't want to do Chicago, not PR (because I had to slow down) and jeopardize the others.  If the PR happens, fine.  I know from this training session I am super faster than last year.  It will happen.  I won't push it though.

Damaris