Beginners and Beyond

Damn the Canadians (Read 94 times)

happylily

Between you and me, I really want the US to place ahead of Russia. I know where my allegiance lies and it's with my good neighbour to the South. My dream medal standings on Sunday: #1 United States, #2 Canada, #3 Norway. Russia can go to hell with its dictator.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

However, the Putin memes never get old.

Birdwell

Dear Canadians,

I actually prefer to look at this chart when discussing Olympic Medals

sincerely,

U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!

happylily

However, the Putin memes never get old.

Oh, Oski ...LOL

happylily

Dear Canadians,

sincerely,

U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!,U-S-A!

Does that include all the medals won before they made progress in drug testing?

Congrats to the Canadians. They did a great job of shutting down the U.S. yesterday. And that includes workplace productivity here in Minnesota for the second straight day.

Birdwell

Does that include all the medals won before they made progress in drug testing?

Yes, the list has been corrected to correctly reflect the doping and subsequent medal removal from Ben Johnson 

happylily

Yes, the list has been corrected to correctly reflect the doping and subsequent medal removal from Ben Johnson 

Wow, I'm impressed. You had to go back to 1988 for that. 

RSX

I don't really care how the medals get displayed, or which country has the most. The US seems to be concerned about total medals which is fine. Before Russia broke up, it seemed like they were on top for most of the time. The US is doing better overall in part because of the X Game adds.

RSX

Dear Canadians,

sincerely,

Yes go back and relive the 20's and 30's if that makes you happy

Baboon

delicate flower

Hockey is Canada's sport.  It always will be.  They will continue to dominate.  Sure the USA might sneak in a gold medal here or there, but Canada will continue to win most of them.  When we look back on the hockey gold medal winners in 50 years, it'll still be a shitload for Canada, and two or three for the US.  How many medals the USA wins in figure skating and skiing won't change that.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

Dear Canadians,

sincerely,

You must be a Yankees fan.  "27 RINGS!!!! OMG OMG LULZ!"  Yeah but how many recently?  "27 RINGS!!!"

<3

LRB

Hockey is Canada's sport.  It always will be.  They will continue to dominate.  Sure the USA might sneak in a gold medal here or there, but Canada will continue to win most of them.  When we look back on the hockey gold medal winners in 50 years, it'll still be a shitload for Canada, and two or three for the US.  How many medals the USA wins in figure skating and skiing won't change that.

Actually, you might be surprised...

When Canada won in 2002, it was 50 years since they last won an olympic gold medal in hockey.

In fact, in the 12 olympics between their 1952 win and their 2002 win, they won only 5 medals (3 silver and 2 bronze).

The Soviet Union had 'professionals' in the Olympics when the Canadians had professionals in the NHL.

1952 Canada United States Sweden
                              1956 Soviet Union United States Canada
                              1960 United States Canada Soviet Union
                              1964 Soviet Union Sweden Czechoslovakia
                              1968 Soviet Union Czechoslovakia Canada
                              1972 Soviet Union United States Czechoslovakia
                              1976 Soviet Union Czechoslovakia West Germany
                              1980 United States Soviet Union Sweden
                              1984 Soviet Union Czechoslovakia Sweden
                              1988 Soviet Union Finland Sweden
                              1992 CIS Canada Czechoslovakia
                              1994 Sweden Canada Finland
                              1998 Czech Republic Russia Finland
                              2002 Canada United States Russia
                              2006 Sweden Finland Czech Republic
                              2010 Canada United States Finland

MTA: oops, see that you were speaking future tense (look back in next 50 years over these next 50 years) and not past tense.  Regardless, I think the past is interesting.  I don't know about the future.  30 years ago, there weren't many Americans in the NHL, now there are.  When I was a kid, the NHL had 21 teams, I think.  Then, when the USSR broke up and there were many "Russian" hockey players brought into North America, the NHL expanded from the 21 teams by adding teams south of the snow line.  That's also when Gretzky moved to the USA (LA) from Canada.  More kids in the USA have more hockey options than they did 30+ years ago.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

A few years ago, Canada setup a strategy titled "Own the Podium" or "Road to Excellence", which better develops and prepares the Canadian athletes to perform at the international stage.

Other nations had this type of strategy decades ago (USSR, USA), but Canada didn't.

Canada had athletes, but they didn't have national sports federations.  Now they do.

The performance of Canadian athletes has improved due to a national sports strategy that promotes and encourages athletic development of the junior athletes.

MTA: check out their budget comparisons over the past 8 years.  Take note of the hockey budget and compare it to the skiing budgets.  And, wow!... look at the curling budget.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life