Beginners and Beyond

Fridailies: Kicking ass with just one leg. (Read 47 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Apparently it would take me around 160 to be overweight — do you know how HUGE I would be?! 

My skinniest (Size 2) was when I was 158lbs, so it depends on frame and height too....

Damaris

onemile

3 x (1.65 km w/1 min) + 3 x (~200m w/back to starting point)

Why 1.65km?

bluerun

Super B****

My skinniest (Size 2) was when I was 158lbs, so it depends on frame and height too....

My point exactly.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Bert-o

I lost my rama

You earn these points in different ways... workouts count, as does participation in athletic events, preventive care (like a dental exam or the flu shot or whatever), things like that.  

If the goal is to stay healthy, they'd better have a list of approved athletic events.  Roller Derby comes to mind as one that probably shouldn't count.

I plan on 6 tonight after work.  Easy trail or fun trail?  That's the question.  There's probably still poison ivy on the fun trail... hmm... that might deduct from my points.

BMI - 24 give or take a few tenths.  They should just throw your butt on a stair climber and see how long you last.  That would separate the healthy from unhealthy pretty damn fast.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Cyberic

We don't get no prizes for being fit here, no discount either. Since it's universal health care, we divide the bill!

You don't want to know my BMI, and my BBMI (better BMI), as for very short and very tall people, the oversimplified BMI formula is not very good. https://tall.life/better-bmi-for-short-and-tall-people/

Cyberic

Why 1.65km?

Didn't feel like changing the units on my watch. I made a hasty workout directly on the Garmin, wanted to do 3 x 1 mile (1.62 km) and had to choose between 1.60 and 1.65 km on the watch.

Cyberic

RunningWithMyDog

Yeah. I also get lots of advice on how to lose weight by healthy eating and exercise, because I end up with a BMI in the overweight range.

Let me preface this angry rant by saying that I am deeply concerned by the state of obesity in North American society.  Obesity is the new smoking.  And reading the anti-scientific, "feelz over realz" crap spewed by fat activists on the internet makes me furious.

Having said that, BMI is ridiculous.  I'm 5'8".  When I'm about to run a marathon, I hover around 150 lbs.  That puts me at the top end of the "healthy" range.

122 lbs. is the bottom end of the healthy range.  I'd be in a hospital bed at that skinny.

The fact that they don't have a differentiation between male and female completely invalidates this metric.

DavePNW

Having said that, BMI is ridiculous.  I'm 5'8".  When I'm about to run a marathon, I hover around 150 lbs.  That puts me at the top end of the "healthy" range.

122 lbs. is the bottom end of the healthy range.  I'd be in a hospital bed at that skinny.

The fact that they don't have a differentiation between male and female completely invalidates this metric.

It's fun to play this game, but in fairness, I don't think BMI is intended to be anything more than a guideline. Probably as good as anything for that. Not everyone with every type of body structure and composition, with BMI>25, is really overweight, but some are. No reliable doctor is going to give any advice or initiate any kind of intervention purely based on that number. Health insurance companies, don't get me started on them.

Dave

RunningWithMyDog

It's fun to play this game, but in fairness, I don't think BMI is intended to be anything more than a guideline. Probably as good as anything for that. Not everyone with every type of body structure and composition, with BMI>25, is really overweight, but some are. No reliable doctor is going to give any advice or initiate any kind of intervention purely based on that number. Health insurance companies, don't get me started on them.

While I agree with everything you wrote, I simply can't take BMI seriously until it differentiates between men and women.

There are obvious physiological differences between the sexes.

My wife is only an inch shorter than me - but the notion that we have similar healthy weight ranges is ridiculous.

bluerun

Super B****

BMI, in its origins, didn’t need to differentiate between men and women.  Using it as a health guideline is already stupid, but yes, even more stupid when it doesn’t make that distinction.

chasing the impossible

Agree that BMI is not a helpful metric.  Body fat calculation with calipers or the steel cage in the pool may be more helpful, but the BMI "calculator" is total crap.  Skinny fat is definitely a thing, so just being thin is not the all in all indication of healthy.  I know quite a few women (used to be one) who smoke to stay skinny.  How the hell is that a good thing?!?!?  And you know what terrifies me almost more than the ratio that gets you to be "overweight" per the calculator, is how low you can get before you're considered "underweight."  I'd be the poster child for Female Athlete Triad before that calculator ever admitted I was "under" weight.  So yeah, stupid.

I am a big fan of the flu shot though, and I'm getting one at 2:00 today in my office Smile  Our's are optional.  I'd get one every year if it was easy, but I hate making an appointment for just that, and while you can get the quick one at the drugstore, it's still not that quick.  I got the flu a couple years ago, hadn't gotten a shot that year, and it was miserable.  I'd like to avoid a repeat if possible, and I have a second grader and kindergartner.  Given the petri dish I live in because of them, I need all the help I can get.

I'm irritated, I have not run (yet) today.  I got maybe 2 hours of sleep last night, multiple stupid interruptions (dog, husband, wind storm, dog again), and when the alarm went off at 5 I was in no mood.  Got up at 6:30 to discover the dog's second bout of noisy behavior was the result of him eating a tennis ball, and then passing tiny rubber pieces of said tennis ball.  Yuck.  Never fun to wake up to a clean up project like that   I was thinking of cutting out of work early to get in something, but it's one of those "everything is on fire, we need help instantly" days, so forecast is not looking good for an early exit.

On the bright side, we have cake (Everything Bundt Cake, to be specific).  It was supposed to be for my colleague's birthday, but her car broke down, and she won't be back until next Thursday.  My boss pointed out that not eating cake, and letting the cake spoil, would not fix our gal's car, so we may as well eat it.  He's on his second piece.  I love that guy.

oldfartrunner

Got 12+ in!

A real confidence booster about 10 days out from my Half!  3 up, 6 X1mile/1min JR: 6:50, 48,45,47,48,38, 3 DN. The last mile was below my 10k average last weekend, so maybe the twinkie and snowball helped?  Got a new pre-race/workout food!

CY: Nice job.

About the BMI is just a guideline, the real issue is % of body fat. That should be the metric. As  someone who has worked in hospitals many years and seen who is laying in the beds, being fat is not where it is at- or old , it brings in a ton of health problems.  Carrying  excess body fat around will catch up to you sooner than later and there you will be in the hosp. bed, and I'll be cleaning your room or taking out your trash.  At least I don't have to clean your damn bed pan! Thank God for Nurses and Nurses aids!

Smoking ciggs is just plain stupid, and cancer rates go through the roof for smokers. My Dad died of throat cancer from sucking on those things most his life, and he still smoked when he was diagnosed!   Obese Fat people and cigg smokers should pay like way more $$$ than the average healthy person cause they will use the health care more as a matter of fact. And the older consumer should not be let off the hook either because they use health care more than a younger person, this cannot be helped. But then again policies that keep people alive as long as possible as near vegetables is stupid too, IMO. Quality of life balanced by the cost society pays as a whole needs to be addressed.

There are no easy answers for any of this for sure. ... End of my rant for the day.

DavePNW

Obese Fat people and cigg smokers should pay like way more $$$ than the average healthy person cause they will use the health care more as a matter of fact.

OTOH, they die sooner, so have fewer years of health care expenses.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Agree that BMI is not a helpful metric.  Body fat calculation with calipers or the steel cage in the pool may be more helpful, but the BMI "calculator" is total crap.  Skinny fat is definitely a thing, so just being thin is not the all in all indication of healthy.  I know quite a few women (used to be one) who smoke to stay skinny.  How the hell is that a good thing?!?!?  And you know what terrifies me almost more than the ratio that gets you to be "overweight" per the calculator, is how low you can get before you're considered "underweight."  I'd be the poster child for Female Athlete Triad before that calculator ever admitted I was "under" weight.  So yeah, stupid.

Oh, yeah, that too.  (I read in a book once -- some running book, don't remember which one -- that my ideal racing weight is supposedly X, a number I no longer remember, and my dietitian was not happy when I informed her that that weight was totally fine for me because the book says so.  I think it was in the normal range for BMI, too.)

chasing the impossible