Beginners and Beyond

ASICS Los Angeles Marathon RR (Highway to Hell) and bad pics added (Read 110 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Baboon: Good question on the May 25 marathon. My answer is that is that when it was time to start training for it, I wanted to use the Pfitz 18/55 plan again because I had good results the first time.  Honestly, I wasn't ready for another 18 week cycle. After my first marathon, it took me a good two months to fully get my legs back. I think it was because it was my first marathon cycle and I'm no spring chicken anymore. Also, DW signed up for the May 25 race and it's her first. We have done several HMs together and she wanted to try a full. She found a 16 week plan that trains you for a four hour marathon and that's her goal, a sub 4:00. The plan is lighter than the Pfitz and doesn't beat you up as much, or at all. So, I'm training with her at her pace, and just between you and me, if she doesn't blow up after 20 miles, she might just have a BQ in her.

Sweet!  The Flying Klompuses!  Hey, my marathon is also May 25.

<3

Love the Half

That is some nasty ass heat.  Like you in this race, I went to Boston undertrained and I can't for the life of me figure out why people will do that to themselves deliberately.  Over and over.  Still, the fact that you didn't run it hard means you should be recovered in about a week.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on doing so well, despite the lack of prep and the conditions.  That race has some good hills, according to the profile.  I'm glad you had fun anyway.

MothAudio

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, everyone. Believe me, they help keep me going. Smile

Baboon: Good question on the May 25 marathon. My answer is that is that when it was time to start training for it, I wanted to use the Pfitz 18/55 plan again because I had good results the first time.  Honestly, I wasn't ready for another 18 week cycle. After my first marathon, it took me a good two months to fully get my legs back. I think it was because it was my first marathon cycle and I'm no spring chicken anymore. Also, DW signed up for the May 25 race and it's her first. We have done several HMs together and she wanted to try a full. She found a 16 week plan that trains you for a four hour marathon and that's her goal, a sub 4:00. The plan is lighter than the Pfitz and doesn't beat you up as much, or at all. So, I'm training with her at her pace, and just between you and me, if she doesn't blow up after 20 miles, she might just have a BQ in her.

Sounds a lot like me. Never been one of those people that could run multiple races in short order. I enjoyed as much [if not more ] success with the Pfitz 12 week schedule as the 18 week. Since then all of my race schedules top out at 12 weeks MAX. I don't require the early build up phase, I just need to focus on callusing myself by dialing into my race pace and extending my speed endurance workouts. After 5-6 weeks I'm good to go. YMMV. My only hot marathon was my 2nd. It was 80° and that was killer to race in those conditions. Exciting news about DW.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Pinktastic

Way to go, Jack!   I know you didn't have long to get ready for this one, and the heat was awful, but you did Pinksationally!   I can't wait to hear how you crush your next one!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Heat is bad enough, but if there's no cloud cover and you have the Sun beating down on you, it's even worse. With nothing on the line, playing it smart and walking if necessary is a good strategy. You don't want to beat yourself up and compromise your training. Now that you've done a mega-race, you can leave those for the masses and look around for some more interesting ones like Big Sur or Avenue of the Giants.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

Yeah that 9:00 goal marathon pace threw me for a loop as well.  I actually scrolled back up to double check who wrote the thread! I guess it is a goal though even if it is much slower than what you are capable of.

Regarding marathon training time; aren't we always training for it, even when officially we are not. 

Like you, I loathe the heat and had it spring up on me out of nowhere as well.  In the first or second week of May 2012, the temps soared from the low 60's to the 90's in a matter of hours across the Midwest.  Well I was out on my first 20 mile run that morning, the last 4 or so which were complete delirium!  It.  Was.  Awful.

Anyhoo, how is the course profile for the May race?

SheCan

Its so cool that you got to do this!  Congratulations again!  Even without training you did fantastic.  And when you're running a marathon low 80s is hot.  2000 were treated for heat problems?  That sure tells you a lot about how huge the race is!  Anyway, I'm super proud of you, you long legged, speed demon penguin!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Nice report Jack.

And good experience!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Moth: If I can keep my base up, I would definitely try the 12 week plan. I have learned to enjoy the marathon, even if they hurt. The hard part has been admitting that I'm not a kid anymore.

WC: Now I have done a mega race and a small race. I prefer the small races, but, IF I get into Boston, I am going. It's funny you mention the Avenue of the Giants. That one is already on my list! Smile

LRB: Smile I take that as a compliment. Like I said, I can't take the abuse of training for a 7:40 GMP. That can wait for later in the year. My 9:00 GMP for May 25 is for my DW. Oh, and the course profile for the May race is downhill! Gotta love that.

She Can: My legs aren't that long. Wink

Sly: It's good to see Henry again.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Longest.......mile.......ever........

Tough convergence of crowds, hills and heat. Good experience to have, so next time you deal with any of those things won't be the first time.

Great job toughing it out & just getting it done.

Very true.  Also, the last 3 miles look like they have no ending.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Heat is bad enough, but if there's no cloud cover and you have the Sun beating down on you, it's even worse. With nothing on the line, playing it smart and walking if necessary is a good strategy. You don't want to beat yourself up and compromise your training. Now that you've done a mega-race, you can leave those for the masses and look around for some more interesting ones like Big Sur or Avenue of the Giants.

Yes!  Don't I know that.  Tree City, my ass.

Damaris

hog4life

I really enjoyed reading your report. I want to do one of them big races, just to say that I have. I can't imagine trying to race in those conditions. Congrats on surviving some extreme weather running. And just so ya know, I would take 20 degrees over 60 any day!

MothAudio

Jack, re-post to your inquiry on RWOL... 12/55 Pfitz

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Come to Indiana, and avoid the heat.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013