Beginners and Beyond

Who else ran in high school and then not for 10+ years? (Read 110 times)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Um... I ran in high school but wasn't allowed to join the team because, while I was fast and talented (you know, first female in the gym class mile, for whatever THAT is worth), I was also severely anorexic Sad  They asked me for a doctor's note to excuse my low weight and obviously I couldn't provide one, so that was that.

I also went to one track practice in college and then decided to do the school newspaper instead?  I think I was intimidated because I was out of shape at that point.

But I started to run again after college and have managed to become locally competitive and, er, frequently injured.  Hm.  Is that a happy ending?

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Runshortii

I ran track and XC all 4 years in high school. Was varsity and first team all conference my senior year (ran a 16:14 4K..which is equivalent to a 20:43ish 5K i guess?) Loved it. Loved my team, loved running, had an awesome coach. Didn't run my first year in college because I was intimidated by the coach and the team at the school I went to. Planned to run on a scholarship at a smaller university my sophomore year, and then that fell through. Wish I would have had more confidence in my running to run on the team at college. Meh. My freshman/sophomore years of high school I was bottom JV so I think I always thought that even though I worked my butt off to make varsity, that I still wasn't 'talented' or good enough to run on a college team.

Then I didn't run for about..3 years? so not quite a 10 year break..considering I'm almost 24 I haven't even been out of high school for 10 years lol. Wish I would have ran in college, but everything happens for a reason I suppose. I would love love love to beat my former HS self eventually if I stay uninjured long enough to do so

LRB

Hm.  Is that a happy ending?

Hopefully it is the beginning.

Shorti, staying on the DL seems to be the toughest challenge of all!

Um... I ran in high school but wasn't allowed to join the team because, while I was fast and talented (you know, first female in the gym class mile, for whatever THAT is worth), I was also severely anorexic Sad  They asked me for a doctor's note to excuse my low weight and obviously I couldn't provide one, so that was that.

I also went to one track practice in college and then decided to do the school newspaper instead?  I think I was intimidated because I was out of shape at that point.

But I started to run again after college and have managed to become locally competitive and, er, frequently injured.  Hm.  Is that a happy ending?

That bites.  They missed an opportunity.  We had a couple girls during my years running in high school with eating disorders.  The coach and their parents worked together and used their desire to run as a motivator for the girls to work on their issues.  Not like a threat to kick them off, but working on how eating more and the right things would make them run faster.  And the running success gave them self confidence.  Just a small part of their treatment plan, of course, but still.

As a kid I loved to run, and was fast (in a small pond).  In HS, more than 30 years ago, I joined the cross-country team as a freshman, but didn't really like distance running.  10 miles is the farthest I've ever run to this day, and I didn't like that distance at practise back then.  The race, itself, was ok.  I was around 21 minutes on a 5k course.  Better runners on my team were 19 minutes, with the top kid (a senior) around 17 minutes, just to give perspective.

I liked soccer and made the team each year after that, so left cross-country behind me (both were Fall sports).  On the soccer field I was a good runner, and enjoyed it.  Speed races to the ball were fun.  I'd say running was easier for me than for the average other kid on my team.

In the Springs, I ran track.  Started out trying my best at sprints, but wasn't  top 3 on the team.  A senior picked me to learn hurdles.  My junior and senior years I was top hurdler on my team, until I taught someone who was then able to beat me at the 110, but I was still faster at the 400.  Those were fun times.

I used to have dreams back then that I was floating while running.  I just felt so light on my feet, in general.  Beyond my team, beyond my county, it wouldn't take long to find someone faster than me.  My time back then of 59 seconds in the 400 hurdles means nothing, unless you were at a small school and couldn't find anyone faster than that.  But to me, that mobility, agility, and general way of feeling fast and light on my feet has always been an important part of my life.

As an adult, I slowly aged, like we all do.  And I slowly put pounds on, making resolutions to take some off, then gaining more again.  Since the 30 years after HS, I went from 145 to 225.  This past Spring playing soccer with my 3rd grade son I found that I could no longer run anymore.  I mean, of course I could run, I could beat him in a sprint, but I couldn't RUN!  I was easily winded within a couple minutes.  I couldn't keep up with him.  That was around June 1st, and I decided to quit soda (both regular soda and diet soda).

I had to change my life.  So here I am.  I'm trying to bring running back into my life again.  I'm trying to lose weight so I can run.  Run so I can play soccer.  Play soccer so I can run.  Lose weight so I can live again.

I don't know what is ahead of me at my arbitrary goal of 165 pounds.  But I'm leaving 225 behind.  Currently I am 194 pounds, and my 3 mile time is 35 minutes.  Yes, at 48, I'm old, fat, and slow.  Hopefully when I'm 49 I'll be younger, lighter, and faster!

Hip Redux

Welcome oldfatslow!  You'll be oldskinnyfast soon enough! (not so sure about the younger part)  Big grin