Beginners and Beyond

Lapped By The Sun - My Burning River 100 Recap (Read 142 times)

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I confess that I haven't read a race report in a good while.

As luck would have it, I found yours to be the one that I chose to read. First off, I will say congratulations - you ran an excellent race. That is an amazing distance and you did it well. I felt as if I was there, and being a shorter distance runner, I could almost feel at least a mental version of fatigue and "hurt".

What I found interesting was where this race took place. When you mentioned Squire's Castle in the early part of the report, I said to myself "I know where that is". One by one, the names of the Aid Station locations continued to ring a bell. I had to check, but I found that a good part of the Burning River 100 was run in the Cleveland Metroparks! Pretty fitting, I'd say, considering that the Cuyahoga River that bisects Cleveland did in fact catch fire in 1969.

I enjoyed reading the report. I will be running a half in September in the Rocky River portion of the park system. After finishing, I will give some thought to the 100 miles that you ran on 7/26. An amazing feat!

EDIT: I mapped it out - it covers the east side of the Metroparks and not the west side where I will be running. However, a good portion of the run appears to have taken place between Brecksville and Akron, along the Cuyahoga River valley.

An impressive area, and an impressive run!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Coastal

Awesome running, and an equally awesome race report.  Impressive!

Trail Monster

You nailed it Tom! It is named Burning River after the actually event. The theme of the race is e-racing the past. It's supposed to help draw attention to the beauty and natural resources of the Cuyahoga River valley. I would say I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery when I could peel my eyes off my feet. Have a great race at your half and let us know how it goes!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Amazing, Banshee.

"Congratulations" seems like too small of a word for something of that magnitude, and the RR was very Katrina-esque, drawing its readers into the adventure.

What an awesome accomplishment, be very proud.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Missed this when it was first posted, glad I found it.  What an awesome report and very nice photos!  You rock, Sara!  Great determination and perseverance!  Congrats to you and kudos to your crew and all the other folks who helped you keep going!

I just cannot imagine ever doing a distance like that for so many hours!  To paraphrase Rudyard Kipling, "You're a better runner than I am, Gunga Din!"   Way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Trail Monster

Awww! Thanks Jay and Scotty! Blush It's just amazing to me that anyone cares that I'm stupid enough to try to stay awake and moving for almost 30 hours. I had to try to explain 'why' I do this to someone this weekend and all I could really come up with is the people. Which I think is why I keep coming back to RA too. Wink

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

TakeAHike

This race report is probably the closest I will ever come to 100-mile race.  Thanks for providing a small glimpse of what it is like to do a race like this.  Your RR was a great read and your achievement was even better.  Congratulations.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Rungry!

I'm a little late to the party, but WOW! What an amazing accomplishment. I had to grab a tissue whilst reading your emotional race report. Congratulations Banshee.

Jen

Trail Monster

I'm a little late to the party, but WOW! What an amazing accomplishment. I had to grab a tissue whilst reading your emotional race report. Congratulations Banshee.

What's funny is that I really wasn't emotional during the race! But I guess I felt it all at the finish line and right after. So rereading my recap seems alien to me. Weird how distant it seems already!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Zelanie

I'm with the others who say that congratulations seems awfully insufficient compared to what you've accomplished!  I am so happy for you!

And to only have sunburn, bugbites, and a single blister to show for it?  That's incredible in its own right!