Beginners and Beyond

Race Advertisement pet peeves: Lack of information (Read 65 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

1. Location, specifically, State and City.

Some of us see some really fun looking races and have no clue where they are located.

2. Course Maps

Stated as 'USATF Certified' but no course map? No link to course maps, no information.  Gimme the Fing map Damnit!

3. Basic description

Course description - flat, hilly, straight, lot of turns? on the river front?

History/ reason - In memory of someone something, a cause or just because.  "Come out and see how fast you can run on this Just-for-the-hell-of-it race!"

4. Fee!

Really, need I bitch about this?  I have to go through the full registration to find out your 5k is $50?  And you don't tell me anything about the race? Ya know what, F U.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

#1 is my biggest pet peeve.  How do you not list the city and state on the website, especially when there is another race with the same name 1,000 miles away.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

I really like when the site provides an accurate description of the course. Does it have rolling hills or is it completely flat? Is it closed to traffic and pedestrians? Pavement or gravel? An elevation chart is always nice too...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

I agree with needing more course information.  Map plus elevation profile would be nice. I usually google the name of the race plus 'mapmyrun' to get that information.  Mapmyrun tends to suck with elevation data, but at least the profile is usually pretty accurate.

I like links to prior results so I can easily see where I might fall in the pecking order.

I've also taken DW's side with regards to the race shirt.  Events need to specify if the shirt is gender specific or 'unisex.'  Makes a difference for the ladies when selecting a size.  And more events need women specific shirts, although I understand why that can be a challenge for RD's.

<3

RSX

The web site for my last race was too busy. I had to go through all this junk on the first page, (do I need to read paragraphs about the past winners on the home page, and what the demographics for the 2012 field was?) and figure out where the other pages I needed were. That info might be interesting for some, but keep it off the home page.

My biggest beef is obviously with race web sites in general. Usually they are too simple with missing info.

#artbydmcbride

I really like when the site provides an accurate description of the course. Does it have rolling hills or is it completely flat? Is it closed to traffic and pedestrians? Pavement or gravel? An elevation chart is always nice too...

But They Lie!!

Runners run

Hip Redux

We had one race this year where there was no specific address for the starting line.   I actually had to find someone who had run the race the year before on Strava and figure out the starting spot from there.

WTF, people.

#artbydmcbride

Yes, and about the location!  Big grin  One website said only "75 miles from downtown LA!"    That could be anywhere!!

Runners run

GC100k

1. Location, specifically, State and City.

Some of us see some really fun looking races and have no clue where they are located.

This.  I'll search for races in Pennsylvania and find "Run for Bob" which "starts at the high school" and I have no idea what part of the state it's in.

Race websites are getting better, but fewer have mail-in registration.  Sometimes looking at the registration form is the only way to find out what the fees are or if they have Clydesdale categories or some other details.  If there's no registration form and you have to fill out a bunch of online forms before you get that info, forget it.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Race results links.  I hate having to find out who the timing company was, go to their website, cycle through the races to find the results several days later.  Just put the damn link on the front page.  Most runners like to see last years times to think they can actually place higher than they probably will (lol).