Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #21 (Read 32 times)

KCRuns

I had a good workout today. 4 x 1200 at 10k and 4 x 400 at 5k. Total of 9 miles.

I almost caused an accident though. A car swerved around me as I ran facing traffic on the 18 inch shoulder/bike lane of a fairly busy road and a vehicle coming the other way jerked his wheel in reaction, hit ice on the side of the road and completely lost control. He was lucky though because there wasn't anybody else in the lane, so he didn't hit anybody, missed me, then spun out in the gravel parking lot of a baseball field and just slammed into a sign board. His work truck didn't seem to be much damaged, but I imagine he was seriously POed. I stopped to make sure he was going to be able to drive off, but I didn't talk to him. I wasn't doing anything wrong, but you never know how people will react when they get scared like that.

Nice workout!  And HOLY SMOKES!  That sounds scary for all involved, especially you without the protection of a car around you.  I'm glad everyone is okay.

Cyberic

I had a good workout today. 4 x 1200 at 10k and 4 x 400 at 5k. Total of 9 miles.

I almost caused an accident though. A car swerved around me as I ran facing traffic on the 18 inch shoulder/bike lane of a fairly busy road and a vehicle coming the other way jerked his wheel in reaction, hit ice on the side of the road and completely lost control. He was lucky though because there wasn't anybody else in the lane, so he didn't hit anybody, missed me, then spun out in the gravel parking lot of a baseball field and just slammed into a sign board. His work truck didn't seem to be much damaged, but I imagine he was seriously POed. I stopped to make sure he was going to be able to drive off, but I didn't talk to him. I wasn't doing anything wrong, but you never know how people will react when they get scared like that.

Quite the Tuesday.

DavePNW

OK, which joker left Jeter off their ballot?

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hill sprints done. I underdressed (didn't look at the forecast and it dropped 6-7F during my run and the LS under the vest was not enough. Brrrr. The sprints went well but I never got warm.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

PS, for Cy and the Stryd posse:

My normal easy runs are around 200. During the hill sprints I hit 389, 376, etc. It was nice to see a difference in power when the effort is there.

Damaris

Cyberic

PS, for Cy and the Stryd posse:

My normal easy runs are around 200. During the hill sprints I hit 389, 376, etc. It was nice to see a difference in power when the effort is there.h

Nice! For hills or windy conditions, there's nothing like power to correctly evaluate the effort.

It does not detect running in snow, though. It just figures you're running slow.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah I noticed the night I was running in the 29mph winds it reached 300+ when I was running in a headwind. Super interesting. 

the FB group was discussing the racing by power part and I am interested. Might try it for my next 5K and see whether I don’t crash and burn that time.

Damaris

Cyberic

Yeah I noticed the night I was running in the 29mph winds it reached 300+ when I was running in a headwind. Super interesting. 

the FB group was discussing the racing by power part and I am interested. Might try it for my next 5K and see whether I don’t crash and burn that time.

Sure is worth a try

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sure is worth a try

Especially since Stryd can give you the estimated power for each distance.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Hill sprints done. I underdressed (didn't look at the forecast and it dropped 6-7F during my run and the LS under the vest was not enough. Brrrr. The sprints went well but I never got warm.

Dressing for outdoor intervals is hard. The warm-up and cool-down miles are going to be really cold if you dress for the middle miles, and if you are working really hard on the sprints you end up sweating, especially if you dressed for the rest of the run. At least with an easy run your level of effort is fairly consistent. For hill repeats or at the track you could wear an extra layer and take it off for the hard part of the workout I suppose.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That's the thing. I never got warm even during the intervals. I didn't see the forecast of 24F by the end of the run so I only wore the LS and the vest when 28 or below is pullover weather for me. It was 30F when I left but 2F less by Mile 1. By Mile 5 it was 24F so the last three miles were OK but cold. And good thing the wind was at 3mph...

Damaris

Cyberic

That's the thing. I never got warm even during the intervals. I didn't see the forecast of 24F by the end of the run so I only wore the LS and the vest when 28 or below is pullover weather for me. It was 30F when I left but 2F less by Mile 1. By Mile 5 it was 24F so the last three miles were OK but cold. And good thing the wind was at 3mph...

Dressing for winter running is trickier than dressing for Florida weather. In Florida, you wear as little as possible. Nothing complicated about that 

DavePNW

Dressing for winter running is trickier than dressing for Florida weather. In Florida, you wear as little as possible. Nothing complicated about that 

D is probably already noticing a big increase in laundry loads per week.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

D is probably already noticing a big increase in laundry loads per week.

Well, we used things only once and sometimes change midrun there but yes, I only had to wear a bra and shorts and not bra, underwear, tights, pullover, vest, hat, gloves, etc.

Big grin

Damaris